What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flano Press conference

I don't have the data, but I was looking at our Dragons SG side, and it seems like almost all of them were recruited externally.. but f*** me it worked! I think NickT in Flegg is a local? But I dont think there are many from our local catchment.

Steelers maybe a different story? I mean King Togia was yet another qld import.. not sure about the rest.. but im sure there are a bunch of local junior leagues down there to pull from.. curious if our recruitment teams were focussing recruits into the dragons side?
Hence the much vaunted Steelers nursery is a myth

TheRev

First Grade
Hence the much vaunted Steelers nursery is a myth
I think its likely the opposite.. the Dragons team is almost all imports.. all the stars are anyway.

But I suspect the Steelers is mostly local and they leave that team to fend for itself since it has the nursery (LKT is an exception but im not sure what his situation is), maybe its ideal for him to live there given he trains with 1st grade, along with his halves partner Kade Reed (who is a local junior), that would make sense.. the Bostock(s) for example are also illawarra juniors.

But I dont have data to support that.. im sure someone will on here..

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I think its likely the opposite.. the Dragons team is almost all imports.. all the stars are anyway.

But I suspect the Steelers is mostly local and they leave that team to fend for itself since it has the nursery (LKT is an exception but im not sure what his situation is), maybe its ideal for him to live there given he trains with 1st grade, along with his halves partner Kade Reed (who is a local junior), that would make sense.. the Bostock(s) for example are also illawarra juniors.

I don't have much data either. I have been trying to find junior rugby league numbers for a while, mainly because everyone seems to think we are some sort of junior powerhouse, but without ever providing numbers to demonstrate the case. I did find this chart from an Andrew Webster article in the SMH. It's from 2021 so a bit out of date:

Screenshot 2024-05-02 10.34.15.png

It's what you might expect though, I don't think anyone thinks the St George district is rugby league heartland anymore. Still disappointing to see we are behind Rabbitohs, Dogs and Sharkies though. Sharks are going gangbusters too - last year they announced they reached over 5000 juniors and were now one of the biggest rugby league nurseries:

I can't find any equivalent data that compares the country rugby league districts, but Illawarra announced over 2000 players in 2024, which is more than St George but even combined it is still less than Bunnies, Dogs and Sharks.

All of which seems to indicate St George-Illawarra does not have very good junior rugby league programs, and given the size of the areas we represent, and the fan numbers, we ought to be doing a lot better.

TheRev

First Grade
Hmm that is dark.. what a shame they didnt include the illawarra, newcastle, canberra type areas for comparison.

I wonder if first grade success is a big part of it.. I've given up trying to get my kids to even take an interest in rugby league.. I dont even want to make them watch games cause its a pretty frustrating experience.

TheRev

First Grade
will we take as long to sign a recruitment mgr as we do any player ever?
Jeremy said he spoke to Millard on the weekend and seemingly hes back at work.. so maybe all is well again? Not 100% what his day to day looks like exactly....

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Hmm that is dark.. what a shame they didnt include the illawarra, newcastle, canberra type areas for comparison.

I wonder if first grade success is a big part of it.. I've given up trying to get my kids to even take an interest in rugby league.. I dont even want to make them watch games cause its a pretty frustrating experience.
Yes, I'd love to see the figures. You would think participation rates would form part of annual reports, and a measure of how well things are going (or not). But clubs only report the figures when things are going well, or a milestone is reached. Canberra did report solid growth in 2021 which put them ahead of the Illawarra:

Screenshot 2024-05-02 11.22.05.png
Source: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/12/07/crrl-participation-numbers-surge-to-record-high

For me it's another question for the Board and Management to answer at the next member information session.

Mojo

Bench
I don't have much data either. I have been trying to find junior rugby league numbers for a while, mainly because everyone seems to think we are some sort of junior powerhouse, but without ever providing numbers to demonstrate the case. I did find this chart from an Andrew Webster article in the SMH. It's from 2021 so a bit out of date:

View attachment 87455

It's what you might expect though, I don't think anyone thinks the St George district is rugby league heartland anymore. Still disappointing to see we are behind Rabbitohs, Dogs and Sharkies though. Sharks are going gangbusters too - last year they announced they reached over 5000 juniors and were now one of the biggest rugby league nurseries:

I can't find any equivalent data that compares the country rugby league districts, but Illawarra announced over 2000 players in 2024, which is more than St George but even combined it is still less than Bunnies, Dogs and Sharks.

All of which seems to indicate St George-Illawarra does not have very good junior rugby league programs, and given the size of the areas we represent, and the fan numbers, we ought to be doing a lot better.
Thanks for this data. Much appreciated. Question though: if Illawarra have 2000, then combined wouldn't we be doing better than the Dogs and Souths and about equal to Cronulla? At least it appears almost all others are declining whereas we've remained pretty steady.

The bigger question in my mind is: why do we not have more home grown talent in first grade? We seem to put a lot of effort into nurturing talented players but we don't seem to take them through to the top grade very often. Is it true that we bring guys up-to-speed and then let them go elsewhere?

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade

Me too, TheRev. One is completely not interested and the other shows some interest and says that he is following the Dragons but not avidly.

During their formidable growing up years to today, they have seen what following the Dragons has done to me. Oh the pain and the agony of it all.

Is there even a bright future for our beloved Dragons? When in heavens name will we turn that allusive corner that signals happy Dragons days?

This waiting and waiting is so brutal to see this club on a high and time is running out.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Thanks for this data. Much appreciated. Question though: if Illawarra have 2000, then combined wouldn't we be doing better than the Dogs and Souths and about equal to Cronulla? At least it appears almost all others are declining whereas we've remained pretty steady.

The bigger question in my mind is: why do we not have more home grown talent in first grade? We seem to put a lot of effort into nurturing talented players but we don't seem to take them through to the top grade very often. Is it true that we bring guys up-to speed and then let them go elsewhere?
What you say is true if Illawarra had at least 2000 participants in 2021. That's probably a fair assumption. If you jump ahead to 2024 however, Illawarra are saying 2000 participants, I don't know how many participants there are in the St George district, but Cronulla said they had 5500 participants in 2023. So I suspect we are behind on junior numbers.

Can't answer your second paragraph sorry.

The gun Steeler 5/8 is from Qld

AyiosYiorgos

Coach

DRAGONS SG BALL CUP SQUAD 2024Previous Club / CommentsPosition
Corey AckersDragons JNR +Arncliffe Scotts + Fairfield Patrician BrothersLock, Prop
David AfuPanthers 2021-23centre
Peter AssafBulldogsWing
Ratu CayuqueoParramatta
Angus ClarkWagga Wagga, Riverina BullsHooker
Lyric Craft-Te MoananuiDragons JNR + West Tigers in 2021centre
Uchenna EgbuNewtown jnr?wing
Isaiah FagaliloBurleigh Bear QLDHooker
Ben GearyNewcastle + Nth Coast BulldogsWing
Jacob HalangahuPenrith2nd row
Shadi HammoudDragons JNRFive-Eighth
Hudson HarmerNth Coast BulldogsHooker
Viliami HikilaSharks +Endeavour Sports High & Westfield Sports HighPROP, 2nd ROW
Ryan HutchinsonKeebra Park High School QLDPROP
Lennox JensenNth Coast Bulldogs??
Mitchell LangleyDragons JNR + RenownLock
Finau LatuPenrith JNR + Patrician Brothers FairfieldLock
Campbell LyonsNarrandera + Illawarra Steelerscentre
Zac NacharDragons JNRWing/Fullback/6
Xavier NdairaDragons JNRHooker
Loko Pasifiki TongaBankstown Bulls + Ipswich High QLDProp
Tyler Peckham-HarrisIpswich High QLDFullback
Risiate SmytheDragons JNRProp
Cyrus Stanley-TraillBulldogs +Endeavour Sports High2nd row
Brandon TikanauTitans1/2back
Rydell TyrrellCentral Queensland CaprasProp
Jesse WilliamsCabramatta + Patrician Brothers FairfieldWing/Fullback
Harley YatesMinchinbury Jets1/2back
Coach: Willie Talau

STEELERS SG BALL CUP SQUAD 2024
Tyrone AmoneIllawarra JNR + Illawarra Sports High2nd Row /Prop
Viliami AmoneIllawarra JNR + Illawarra Sports HighPROP
Hudson BaileyIllawarra JNRLock
Clay BaldockIllawarra JNR1/2back / Five Eight
Bohden BarrettIllawarra JNRcentre
Lucas BorgIllawarra JNRFullback / Wing
Hayden BuchananIllawarra JNRcentre
Aaymon FitzgibbonIllawarra JNRFive-Eighth
Charlie HeidkeIllawarra JNRcentre
Eden HodgesIllawarra JNR1/2back
Lyhkan King-TogiaQLDFive-Eighth
Tom KirkIllawarra JNRFullback / Wing
Tom KnoxIllawarra JNR2nd row
Drew LangdonIllawarra JNR2nd row
Isaac LaughtonIllawarra JNR2nd row
Bailey MarksIllawarra JNRProp / Lock
Daniel MeafouIllawarra JNRLock
Lincoln MinersIllawarra JNRHooker
Ramses MunroIllawarra JNRPROP
Seth PearmanIllawarra JNRHooker
Braith PlecasIllawarra JNRLock
Kade ReedIllawarra JNR1/2back
Jackson RieckIllawarra JNRFullback
Toby RumbleIllawarra JNRWing / Centre
Jackson SmithIllawarra JNR2nd row
Jarrah TreweekIllawarra JNR2nd row
Lachlan WeirQLDPROP
Harry WililoIllawarra JNRWing / Centre
Coach: Shaun Timmins

TheRev

First Grade
DRAGONS SG BALL CUP SQUAD 2024Previous Club / CommentsPosition
Corey AckersDragons JNR +Arncliffe Scotts + Fairfield Patrician BrothersLock, Prop
David AfuPanthers 2021-23centre
Peter AssafBulldogsWing
Ratu CayuqueoParramatta
Angus ClarkWagga Wagga, Riverina BullsHooker
Lyric Craft-Te MoananuiDragons JNR + West Tigers in 2021centre
Uchenna EgbuNewtown jnr?wing
Isaiah FagaliloBurleigh Bear QLDHooker
Ben GearyNewcastle + Nth Coast BulldogsWing
Jacob HalangahuPenrith2nd row
Shadi HammoudDragons JNRFive-Eighth
Hudson HarmerNth Coast BulldogsHooker
Viliami HikilaSharks +Endeavour Sports High & Westfield Sports HighPROP, 2nd ROW
Ryan HutchinsonKeebra Park High School QLDPROP
Lennox JensenNth Coast Bulldogs??
Mitchell LangleyDragons JNR + RenownLock
Finau LatuPenrith JNR + Patrician Brothers FairfieldLock
Campbell LyonsNarrandera + Illawarra Steelerscentre
Zac NacharDragons JNRWing/Fullback/6
Xavier NdairaDragons JNRHooker
Loko Pasifiki TongaBankstown Bulls + Ipswich High QLDProp
Tyler Peckham-HarrisIpswich High QLDFullback
Risiate SmytheDragons JNRProp
Cyrus Stanley-TraillBulldogs +Endeavour Sports High2nd row
Brandon TikanauTitans1/2back
Rydell TyrrellCentral Queensland CaprasProp
Jesse WilliamsCabramatta + Patrician Brothers FairfieldWing/Fullback
Harley YatesMinchinbury Jets1/2back
Coach: Willie Talau

STEELERS SG BALL CUP SQUAD 2024
Tyrone AmoneIllawarra JNR + Illawarra Sports High2nd Row /Prop
Viliami AmoneIllawarra JNR + Illawarra Sports HighPROP
Hudson BaileyIllawarra JNRLock
Clay BaldockIllawarra JNR1/2back / Five Eight
Bohden BarrettIllawarra JNRcentre
Lucas BorgIllawarra JNRFullback / Wing
Hayden BuchananIllawarra JNRcentre
Aaymon FitzgibbonIllawarra JNRFive-Eighth
Charlie HeidkeIllawarra JNRcentre
Eden HodgesIllawarra JNR1/2back
Lyhkan King-TogiaQLDFive-Eighth
Tom KirkIllawarra JNRFullback / Wing
Tom KnoxIllawarra JNR2nd row
Drew LangdonIllawarra JNR2nd row
Isaac LaughtonIllawarra JNR2nd row
Bailey MarksIllawarra JNRProp / Lock
Daniel MeafouIllawarra JNRLock
Lincoln MinersIllawarra JNRHooker
Ramses MunroIllawarra JNRPROP
Seth PearmanIllawarra JNRHooker
Braith PlecasIllawarra JNRLock
Kade ReedIllawarra JNR1/2back
Jackson RieckIllawarra JNRFullback
Toby RumbleIllawarra JNRWing / Centre
Jackson SmithIllawarra JNR2nd row
Jarrah TreweekIllawarra JNR2nd row
Lachlan WeirQLDPROP
Harry WililoIllawarra JNRWing / Centre
Coach: Shaun Timmins
Brilliant stats, well done @AyiosYiorgos! Sort of confirms what we thought, coupla dragons kids in that SG side, but mostly its been managed by the recruitment team.

I was curious why the U17 HM sides seemed to struggle this year, you cant win em all obviously.. but maybe they focussed recruitment into that U19 side.. plus maybe a few of the 17yr olds played up a grade..

Lennyb

Juniors
Flannos press conference was perfect. He told the truth.

Unsure what people are going on about staying quiet and causing an upset.

Rod Coil

Juniors
Be careful with junior league participation numbers these days. They include League Tag figures without splitting out Tackle only. It’s all about the total figures to gain a bigger slice of government grants.

Boys tackle is declining in all districts but they will never say that out loud.

Sharks will probably go close to being over 6000 this year. I'll tell you how/why.
The inclusion of women/girls in junior participation stats.
Rugby League is the fastest growing participation rate in the country for girls.
It's going gang busters, and especially in the Cronulla Sutherland catchment area.
I expect it to start going the same way in the Illawarra soon too.

How many STI juniors are playing for other NRL teams?
I know we have one in our top 30, Jesse Colquhoun. He was in line to be a starter in the 17 this year before injury got him. He's a great player.

Latest posts