What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flashback - 1996

undertaker

Coach
I looked at this website with Rugby League stats, players appearances, crowd attendences, and their scoring records.

I came across this crowd figure from 1996 (toggle to Worst Crowds):

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/1996.html#best

Gold Coast Vs Penrith, 1996, a crowd of just 1,500

Just when I thought there was a crowd of just over 2,000 in 1997 for a Manly v Gold Coast game at Brookvale was a bad enough crowd, I never thought I could find a worse crowd.

I wonder if anyone here attended that particular match and the reason for the low crowd. I can probably understand, given the SL war and the new Gold Coast franchise set up in Carrara just after the Seagulls went broke.

http://afltables.com/rl/crowds/1996.html

That Gold Coast vs Penrith crowd was actually 2,753. Nevertheless, it's still extremely low by today's standards, but not as low as these sub-2k crowds from the mid-80s below:

http://afltables.com/rl/crowds/1983.html
1,365 - Western Suburbs vs Newtown at Lidcombe (1983)

http://afltables.com/rl/crowds/1984.html
1,395 - Western Suburbs vs Roosters at Lidcombe (1984)

http://afltables.com/rl/crowds/1985.html
Another sub-1500 between Norths and Canberra at North Sydney Oval (1985).

http://afltables.com/rl/crowds/summary.html

If you look in the trend of attendances in the link above, there appears to have been a bit of a downturn in crowds between 1982-85 (for what reason, I don't know as it was before I was born).

However, the lowest recorded crowd I've found on that website, since attendance records were regularly kept from 1957, was Penrith vs Souths in the last round of 1969, only got.....wait for it....350. Could you imagine if only 350 turned up to an NRL game at Penrith these days?:

http://afltables.com/rl/seas/1969.html#22

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
- Perhaps the best one - not sure if it was 96 or 97 but in a match against Parra there was somebody half famous being driven around in a golf cart to wave at the crowd. At some stage they stopped to say hello or sign an autograph. At this point a guy jumped the fence, stole the cart and proceeded to begin the best Benny Hill tribute chase with the police and security guards. The match stopped as the guy and his chasers crossed the field and then he drove to the back fence, jumped over and took off in the direction of the river. On a saturday night at Carrara it is almost impossible to see anything after the lights at the back of the ground so I can only assume he got away and probably doubled back to rejoin his mates. funniest thing I ever saw there!

Note - I am not sure if this was during first or reserve grade that the benny hill incident happened - it was a long time ago.........

:lol::lol::lol:

Undoubtedly one of the funniest things I've ever heard of at a RL match. Even if it was the most boring RL match ever, I'd still pay to see it if I knew in advance that incident would happen

I was at that game... Very sure it was 97 and it was during the first grade game. If you recall I beleive it was a Chargers attendance record that game? Maybe 15k? Great night!

No....way....

Seriously, I envy you.

http://afltables.com/rl/seas/1997.html#21

If what you said above is correct, I'm pretty sure it is this match from Rd 21 between Gold Coast and Manly, which Gold Coast won 25-10 (does that sound right to you?) infront of 15,872. Given there were only two matches on Saturday, Ch9 televised the afternoon match and the Chargers match was at night, I'm 99.9% sure Optus televised it and therefore there'd have to be tv coverage of it lurking around someone on the internet or in the archives of Optus.

It's times like this where I wish Vossy's Boots N All was still on tv. Boots N All - and the Sunday Roast (before Voss got canned from it in 2012) - were always compulsory viewing on many Sundays during my time in high school and uni. I'd love how Vossy and Gus allowed ppl to write in and request to see archival footage of certain moments from old RL matches. With Boots N All, this was in the days before YouTube, and therefore finding and watching video content of RL matches pre-2001 on the internet was virtually impossible (as Telstra's NRL website only had match highlights and replays from games back to 2001, and even then a lot of footage of NRL matches during 2001-06 was taken down from YouTube during David Gallop's tenure as CEO. Dunno why that was done). I'd definitely be writing to request that particular incident at the Chargers match if it was a televised match.

OT (and on-topic at the same time, as the initial thread was about 1996 and I just talked about Boots N All): I still remember that last round match between Western Suburbs and Illawarra at Campbelltown on Saturday arvo (back when Ch9 televised Saturday arvo footy during 1996/97). It was played in atrocious conditions, and strong gale force winds. Magpies had to win to be in contention for a finals spot, pending on the result of the Sharks/Knights match later that night (which I remember was also played in atrocious conditions, with heavy puddles all over the playing surface Shark Park). Magpies made finals after winning and the Knights (who then had to win their game to edge the Magpies out of 8th spot) lost 22-0.

I still remember a kickoff that Rod Wishart (IIRC) did into the strong gale, which then curved back really sharply, bounced around the Magpies 40m line (i.e. went the minimum distance of 10m) heading towards the half-way line and finally possession of the ball was taken close to Illawarra's 40m line. I know I've seen some NFL matches played in heavy gale force winds in places like Chicago, but that Magpies/Steelers match is still one of the windiest, if not THE windiest conditions I ever remember seeing at a RL match. I haven't seen that incident since someone requested it on Boots N All.

That would've been a Round 22 match where Penrith won 24-16, sending out John Cartwright a winner. Basically both sides missed the top 8, The Eels hadn't made the finals for 10 years and Penrith hadn't made them for 5, probably why there was such little interest.

I remember seeing that match replayed on Fox Sports "Chooseday Night Football" as the viewers choice when I was on holiday in Melbourne in 2011. Although I didn't see that Penrith/Parra match at the time, I do remember there was very inclement weather in Sydney and the Hunter (where I lived) that weekend with heavy rain, strong winds and daytime temperatures around 12-14 degrees (excluding windchill). Both games that I made reference to which occurred the next day - Magpies/Steelers and Sharks/Knights - were heavily affected by weather. No surprise that all games in Sydney that round got sub-7k crowds.

Last edited:

flash

Juniors
The penrith-parra game crowd was due to weather. I remember getting to the car park and the Howell oval car park resembled Nepean river.

TheFrog

Coach
I looked at this website with Rugby League stats, players appearances, crowd attendences, and their scoring records.

I came across this crowd figure from 1996 (toggle to Worst Crowds):

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/1996.html#best

Gold Coast Vs Penrith, 1996, a crowd of just 1,500
The official crowd for Gold Coast vs Penrith on 15/6/96 at Carrara was 2,753.

The Panthers only played before crowds over 10,000 (just) twice in that season, once in Brisbane (against the Crushers) and the other at the SFS against the Roosters.

Considering the Roosters barely got 10,000 against Penrith in Round 3 this year for two of the top teams, the Roosters crowd of 10,317 in 1996 is guaranteed to have been inflated, I'm not sure if this is the game Roger Cowan took his happy snaps, but the Roosters were exposed fiddling crowd figures in this period in order to ensure their retention in the comp under the yet-to-be announced criteria.

H.H

Juniors
The official crowd for Gold Coast vs Penrith on 15/6/96 at Carrara was 2,753.

The Panthers only played before crowds over 10,000 (just) twice in that season, once in Brisbane (against the Crushers) and the other at the SFS against the Roosters.

Considering the Roosters barely got 10,000 against Penrith in Round 3 this year for two of the top teams, the Roosters crowd of 10,317 in 1996 is guaranteed to have been inflated, I'm not sure if this is the game Roger Cowan took his happy snaps, but the Roosters were exposed fiddling crowd figures in this period in order to ensure their retention in the comp under the yet-to-be announced criteria.

Rubbish. I was at that 1996 game and the crowd was right. The thing at that time was the amount of free tickets available to the average punter. But that crowd was right.

Photo gate by Cowan was of another game...against the Warriors I think and that was 1998 from memory. That was when crowds formed part of the so called criteria that teams had to meet to make the cut to participate in the comp from 2000 on.

The crowd we stated was 5k which was again right. The photos Cowan got taken didn't catch the members and a lot of the western side of the SFS.

TheFrog

Coach
However, the lowest recorded crowd I've found on that website, since attendance records were regularly kept from 1957, was Penrith vs Souths in the last round of 1969, only got.....wait for it....350. Could you imagine if only 350 turned up to an NRL game at Penrith these days?:

This match at Penrith was in fact Penrith v Wests. Both sides were out of the running for the finals (although Wests did finish 5th of 12 teams). It must have been played in horrendous weather. The Match of the Day at the SCG between Souths (1st) and Canterbury (7th but out of the running) drew all of 9,000 at the same time.

If I remember correctly, this second Saturday fixture was televised on Channel 7 at the time, maybe the second half only. Poor old Rex Mossop didn't like travelling all the way to Penrith, I wonder if he was one of the 350.

wittyfan

Referee
That would've been a Round 22 match where Penrith won 24-16, sending out John Cartwright a winner. Basically both sides missed the top 8, The Eels hadn't made the finals for 10 years and Penrith hadn't made them for 5, probably why there was such little interest.

There was also a huge rain storm that lashed Sydney and the Illawarra that weekend, I remember they played the game on Foxtel a couple of years ago and the conditions were terrible!

undertaker

Coach
There was also a huge rain storm that lashed Sydney and the Illawarra that weekend

I do remember there was very inclement weather in Sydney and the Hunter (where I lived) that weekend with heavy rain, strong winds and daytime temperatures around 12-14 degrees (excluding windchill). Both games that I made reference to which occurred the next day - Magpies/Steelers and Sharks/Knights - were heavily affected by weather.

I still remember that last round match between Western Suburbs and Illawarra at Campbelltown on Saturday arvo (back when Ch9 televised Saturday arvo footy during 1996/97). It was played in atrocious conditions, and strong gale force winds. Magpies had to win to be in contention for a finals spot, pending on the result of the Sharks/Knights match later that night (which I remember was also played in atrocious conditions, with heavy puddles all over the playing surface Shark Park). Magpies made finals after winning and the Knights (who then had to win their game to edge the Magpies out of 8th spot) lost 22-0.

I still remember a kickoff that Rod Wishart (IIRC) did into the strong gale, which then curved back really sharply, bounced around the Magpies 40m line (i.e. went the minimum distance of 10m) heading towards the half-way line and finally possession of the ball was taken close to Illawarra's 40m line. I know I've seen some NFL matches played in heavy gale force winds in places like Chicago, but that Magpies/Steelers match is still one of the windiest, if not THE windiest conditions I ever remember seeing at a RL match. I haven't seen that incident since someone requested it on Boots N All.

I remember they played the game on Foxtel a couple of years ago and the conditions were terrible!

I remember seeing that match replayed on Fox Sports "Chooseday Night Football" as the viewers choice when I was on holiday in Melbourne in 2011.

Btw, is Chooseday Night Football still running or did Fox Sports canned it?

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
This match at Penrith was in fact Penrith v Wests. Both sides were out of the running for the finals (although Wests did finish 5th of 12 teams). It must have been played in horrendous weather. The Match of the Day at the SCG between Souths (1st) and Canterbury (7th but out of the running) drew all of 9,000 at the same time.

If I remember correctly, this second Saturday fixture was televised on Channel 7 at the time, maybe the second half only. Poor old Rex Mossop didn't like travelling all the way to Penrith, I wonder if he was one of the 350.

Correction. I misread the games.

You are very fortunate to have been alive then. Some of the greatest players in RL history were playing in that era.

roofromoz

First Grade
This match at Penrith was in fact Penrith v Wests. Both sides were out of the running for the finals (although Wests did finish 5th of 12 teams). It must have been played in horrendous weather.

From what I have read, it was exactly that. Also IIRC it was Noel Kelly's final first grade match.

roofromoz

First Grade
Btw, is Chooseday Night Football still running or did Fox Sports canned it?

It's been gone for at least a season or so.

At the moment, there are still a small handful of classic matches each week on FS1, either called Classic Matches or Close Encounters.

I saw a bit of the Panthers v Knights match last week from 2005. You know, the match in which the Panthers very kindly permitted the Knights to break a 15-odd match losing streak.

Knightmare

Coach
Knights have been the Panthers' bogey team over the years in the same way St George and (for periods) the Broncos have been ours. It was so typical that as poorly as the Knights were going back in 2005, they would break their duck against Penrith...