What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flying 'rake' scores four

The Colonel

Immortal
Flying 'rake' scores four
BRAD EARL
12jul06
FOR someone who was "skinny as a rake" as a child, Jarryd Hayne has made a sensational start to his NRL career at only 18.

"I look at photos from three years ago I just used to be so skinny," Hayne said. "It was pretty funny my calfs were as big as my thighs."
The winger scored four tries in the second half of Parramatta's 46-12 win against the Newcastle Knights last Saturday.
The last time he scored four was in Premier League against the Bulldogs in round 10.
After that Brian Smith quit as Eels coach, Jason Taylor took over and it will go down in history that the first player he promoted was Hayne.
His father is Manoa Thompson, a Fijian who played with South Sydney and the Warriors, and later in England and France.
Hayne grew up in the Campbelltown area and ended up in Parramatta's system only after his junior club tried to stop him playing up a year.
"The club I was at, they didn't want me to play up an age again," Hayne said.
"One of the boys I grew up with was playing at Cabramatta, so I just went with him."
Hayne's athleticism becomes apparent when you look at his second sport as a child, little athletics as shown by our photo of him doing high jump in February 2002.
He says he wasn't that good at first but then did well at a different event every year long jump, triple jump and high jump, in which he made the state titles.
In his last year of little As, under-15s, he tried hurdles with a "weird" style he had seen a girl do.
"Six months later I was at nationals, won a gold medal, and I went to the All Schools (national championships) and got a bronze," he said.
"My mum (Jodie Hayne) used to be a hurdler. She tried to get me into hurdles and I'd say, 'Mum, I can't hurdle'. Then I saw this technique and I really excelled at it."
At the same time, his league career was taking off in the Eels' Harold Matthews side.

http://www.parramattaadvertiser.com.au/common/story_page/0,7168,19755196%255E36457,00.html

Stagger eel

Staff member
that's one thing i noticed about him when I first saw him in 2003 playing for Harold Mathews..my first impressions were..boy!! he can run, side step and find the tryline but sh*t he's too skinny.. :lol:

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
Some players just look like natural athletes and Jarryd is one of them. Tahu is another example. Hope Hayne turns out as good if not better than Tahu

Stagger eel

Staff member
T-BONE MCGRAW said:
Some players just look like natural athletes and Jarryd is one of them. Tahu is another example. Hope Hayne turns out as good if not better than Tahu

the scary thing about it is that Inu is a better runner of the football than Hayne.

Stagger eel

Staff member
T-BONE MCGRAW said:
Yeah I have pretty massive wraps on Inu as well. Lets just say the future looks rosy

although Jakey boy would disagree with me, I still believe that he needs to work on his one on one defence.

Gronk

Staff member
eelavation said:
although Jakey boy would disagree with me, I still believe that he needs to work on his one on one defence.

Agree on the defence thing. He seems to be a tad too laid back in many aspects of his game and needs to find some urgency in his play.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
From what I have seen of Inu he is IMO a better winger than centre. I actually thought he may play first grade before Hayne.

Hayne
Inu
Tahu
Smith
Grothe
Has the POTENTIAL to become one of the best group of outside backs in the NRL.

Gronk

Staff member
T-BONE MCGRAW said:
From what I have seen of Inu he is IMO a better winger than centre. I actually thought he may play first grade before Hayne.

Hayne
Inu
Tahu
Smith
Grothe
Has the POTENTIAL to become one of the best group of outside backs in the NRL.

Don't Inu and Guru both play on the RH side ? Is it a huge problem for wingers to play on the other side in the modern game ? Are they coached these days to handle the switch ?

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
Gronk said:
Don't Inu and Guru both play on the RH side ? Is it a huge problem for wingers to play on the other side in the modern game ? Are they coached these days to handle the switch ?

Looking at theam lists this week Inu is 3 (left centre?) and Guru 5 (right Winger?) I wanted to keep Smith and Grothe on the same side as I think they have a great combo. But surely it is not difficult for wingers to change sides.

eel4life

Juniors
Hayne has that something special about him, i love watching reserve grade and seeing the talent coming through.

Before the first SOO match where he played in the junior team, he looked the dominant figure and he was playing fullback, centre actually he was everywhere ..

If he keeps working hard he can be anything ...

yy_cheng

Coach
Grothe can now play both sides effectively.

Grothe used to play left wing so he can use his right fend but last year, he asked to switch to right wing. Started off badly and people were saying you are wasting his right fend.

Then during the middle half of the year, his combo with Benny on the rhs started blossoming.

Against the Drags, Smithy switched both Benny/Grothe to lhs to counteract Gasnier/Best and Benny/Grothe played all over them.

From then on, Benny/Grothe and Tahu/Burt could play on any side of the field. It is a big advantage in terms of covering for injuries and just screwing with the opposition as their centre/wing partnering had on idea which Parra centre/wing combo they were up against.

However, I think Tahu still prefers left centre.

Bigfella

Coach
As illustrated in Origin. Guru switched wings when Tahu was moved from the centres so that Tahu could take left wing.

Elia

Juniors
awww, good on hayne! I rekon he's gonna be a bigger player in the near future, better and faster.

Hellsy

Immortal
eelavation said:
that's one thing i noticed about him when I first saw him in 2003 playing for Harold Mathews..my first impressions were..boy!! he can run, side step and find the tryline but sh*t he's too skinny.. :lol:

I still think he is too skinny :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Latest posts