What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau Wants To Play For The Broncos.

JW

Coach
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,22487503-10389,00.html

Israel yearns for Broncos

Ben Dorries and Karl deKroo
September 27, 2007 12:00am

HOMESICK Melbourne Storm teenager Israel Folau has confided in his family his secret desire to return to Brisbane one day to play for the Broncos.

The NRL's hottest young property has missed his family so much at times in his rookie season that he has telephoned his eldest brother David "eight times a day" at the family's Boronia Heights home in Brisbane's southern outskirts.

Folau, 18, the Dally M rookie of the year who will line up for the Storm in Sunday's grand final against Manly, grew up idolising Darren Lockyer and yearns to play alongside the Broncos great.

David Folau, 22, revealed his younger brother "still followed the Broncos" and said he would not be surprised if Israel returned to Brisbane "in the near future".

"He has been really homesick sometimes . . . he rings me about eight times a day," David Folau said.

"A lot of the time our talks have been really boring. I think he just likes hearing the sound of my voice.

"He misses us and he misses Brisbane. He really likes the Broncos.

"He always has and he follows them a lot. I am sure (he wants to play for the Broncos) . . . he has spoken about that."

Folau, the most exciting young player to burst on the scene in years, has only one season
remaining on his Storm contract and will become one of the most sought-after players in NRL history unless he is locked away by Melbourne.

Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen confirmed the club would be "very, very interested" in talking to Folau when he came off-contract.

"He is an outstanding prospect, the rookie of the year, who has really hit the ground running," Cullen said.

Asked last night about Folau's contract situation beyond 2008, Storm chief executive Brian Waldron was far from pleased.

"We have made it very clear that the club's focus and that of our players is solely on the grand final," Waldron said.

"This is not the week to be talking about contracts."

Pushed on Folau, Waldron said: "We are very confident that Israel Folau's long-term future is in Melbourne."

Folau is such treasured property at the Storm that the club has placed him under a media ban in his rookie season.

He was the only Storm player placed off-limits at the club's media session on Monday.

Folau's family reconfirmed his desire to play for Queensland in State of Origin. He is eligible for the Maroons as he played his first senior game at 16 for Brisbane Norths, Storm's feeder club.

It'd be a long shot, but the mouth waters at the prospect of him linking with the Broncos sometime in the future.

4. Hodges
5. Falou

Playing outside Lockyer with support from Hunt.

=P~

BrisVegas

Juniors
As for positions, if the above was to come true, Id go:

Broncos 2009:

1. Hunt
2. Emmett/Kemp
3. Falou
4. Hodges
5. Micheals
6. Lockyer
7. Wallace

yes please, that would be absolutely a dream come true, we need 1 more strike outside back to contend for another premiership.

Hunt
Hewitt/Kemp
Folau
Hodges
Michaels
Lockyer
Wallace

JW

Coach
*Bump*

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23172309-23214,00.html

Broncos to target stars before coach
By Stuart Honeysett

February 07, 2008 BRISBANE will attempt to re-sign more than $1 million worth of talent this season, including representative forward Sam Thaiday, before making a decision on a replacement for Wayne Bennett.

Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen confirmed the battle facing the club in 2008 as the dust continued to settle on Bennett's move to stand down as coach at the end of the year.

Thaiday tops a list of Brisbane players off contract this year that includes Corey Parker, Joel Moon, David Stagg, Steve Michaels, Michael Ennis, Ben Hannant, Darius Boyd and Rodney Davies.

Complicating the issue is the fact Brisbane want to make a play for Melbourne's Israel Folau - who could attract anything up to $350,000 a season on the open market.

While most players like to know who they will be playing under before signing, Cullen is confident the club has the right structures in place to keep its roster intact.

"It is an issue - but it will come down to the individual about how big an issue it is," Cullen said yesterday.

"They know the structure and, this is showing no disrespect to Wayne, but we've got a very good set-up here and a very good structure.

"That will stay in place, so we know our sports scientists and weights coach and fitness coaches are going to be here.

"It will come down to the individual and do I really need to know 100 per cent who's going to be the coach or I'm happy with the set-up and it doesn't matter."

It is believed the process to find a new coach could take Brisbane as long as the NRL's registration cut-off date at the end of round 13. This is the last chance the Broncos would have to make a counter offer if one of their players had been targeted by a rival club.

"You want to be negotiating, you want to be tying up as many as you could through March-April-May," Cullen said. "It's going to take a few months and we're already in February so there goes March and April.

"We're going to have to talk to the players about the processes we're following and where we're at and just hope we're at a stage where they're happy to stay."

There have been plenty of names already linked with the Brisbane job including Warriors' Ivan Cleary, Melbourne's Craig Bellamy, Canberra's Neil Henry, St Helens' Daniel Anderson, Bennett's assistant Ivan Henjak and former Broncos halves Kevin Walters and Allan Langer.

Cullen confirmed he has received interest from several parties but would consult with the club's senior players, football staff and directors before deciding on the best approach.

"I've got emails and phone calls already from various people," Cullen said.

"I'd imagine from those that have shown interest it's going to be a long list and that will lead to a process of elimination and interviews and that will include the board.

"We're going to have to see who's available now, who's on contract and when they're off contract and what we really want to do next year."

It remains to be seen what impact Bennett's departure will have on the Broncos' plans to lure Folau to Brisbane.

The 18-year-old Storm winger is off contract and there is speculation he will leave the premiers at the end of the season.

It is believed Storm have already tabled an offer of $320,000 a year but Folau remains committed to return home to his family in Brisbane.

While several Sydney clubs, including the Bulldogs and the Roosters are in the race to sign him, it is believed the Broncos or the Gold Coast will be his home in 2009.

Juniors
if he does leave, i dont think ill be too concerned as a storm fan, whilst a loss... just gotta remember 2 words, joseph tomane

realisticly though, i dont think he'll leave the storm

melbourne_belle

Juniors
Have to go with RWB his brothers have contracts with the Roosters and his family are in NSW, so if he does leave us my bet would be on the Roosters if they can afford him.

Wobbygong

First Grade
and remembering the Roosters are experts at systematically rorting the salary cap, so another 400k for Folau shouldn't present much of a problem. For any honest club they have to offload three high profile players to accomodate him but not the Roosters.