What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Football Club Members ?

are you a member of the Sharks FOOTBALL club ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

imasharkie

Coach
Been a general member for two years and gave me footy club membership this year but I'm sure you guys that know say I can't vote for another year.

spider

Coach
imasharkie said:
Been a general member for two years and gave me footy club membership this year but I'm sure you guys that know say I can't vote for another year.

You can vote

shark_girl

Juniors
Not a member of either, seems pointless given that I live in Townsville. I desperatly want to have a say in how this club is run, but it's hard to do living so far away. I will be living in Sydney in 3.5 years, then I will be both a club and football member :)

gunnamatta bay

Referee
SpiderShark said:
You can vote mate.

We need to clarify this. As a financial member of the Leagues Club you can vote for the Leagues Club board of directors who just happen to be the same as the Football Club board of directors at this present time. (this is where it gets confusing) You have to have been a financial Football Club member for three years to vote for the Football Club board.

Why the three years? Probably to prevent 'johhny come lately' turning up at the election with a mob of newly signed members who's only motivation is to overturn one or more incumbent board members.

Scenario: The Leagues Club board is voted out in the next election. They still retain their place on Football Club board until re-elected or voted out at the next Football club agm (or visa versa).

In other words they are two different entities.

Anyway thats my spin on it.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
I really think that in this electronic age the football club needs to get with the times and encourage as many members as possible and give them access to voting via the Internet. You can bank on the net. Surely security would not be a problem. All candidates could put forward their case on the official website. If they wish to conduct their campaign by emailing members they should be given full access to the members email addresses. Its up to the members whether they choose to receive emails from anyone so what harm can it do?

Prospective candidates could conduct their campaign in more traditional ways such as doing the rounds throughout the shire doing the meet and greet, kissing babies and working the crowd. The current board have become so smug the average Sharks supporter has no idea who they are. I would like to see some youthful enthusiasm. A revolution. We need a Lenin!

Feej

First Grade
gunnamatta bay said:
I really think that in this electronic age the football club needs to get with the times and encourage as many members as possible and give them access to voting via the Internet. You can bank on the net. Surely security would not be a problem. All candidates could put forward their case on the official website. If they wish to conduct their campaign by emailing members they should be given full access to the members email addresses. Its up to the members whether they choose to receive emails from anyone so what harm can it do?

It's in their interest to have "low key" elections, so there is no way that the current mob of windbags would ever go for that.

spider

Coach
gunnamatta bay said:
We need to clarify this. As a financial member of the Leagues Club you can vote for the Leagues Club board of directors who just happen to be the same as the Football Club board of directors at this present time. (this is where it gets confusing) You have to have been a financial Football Club member for three years to vote for the Football Club board. NO they are the one board - there is a misconception out there.

Why the three years? Probably to prevent 'johhny come lately' turning up at the election with a mob of newly signed members who's only motivation is to overturn one or more incumbent board members.

Scenario: The Leagues Club board is voted out in the next election. They still retain their place on Football Club board until re-elected or voted out at the next Football club agm (or visa versa). NO - one borad with 2 agendas

zeppelin

Juniors
gunnamatta bay said:
Scenario: The Leagues Club board is voted out in the next election. They still retain their place on Football Club board until re-elected or voted out at the next Football club agm (or visa versa).

I dont think it would be a bad thing if the leagues club/football club have two seperate boards.

Ok, Big Barry has done well to get the 9million dollar grant and have the development proposal pushed through. But, was this done through his repsonsibility as Leagues club chairman or football club chairman???

My point is that perhaps the board are ok at the running the leagues club. But their handling of football club matters is nothing short of diabolical. I believe the two boards should be a seperate entity in line with most other NRL clubs.

The Popper

Bench
Both AGM's are held on the same night. I think Leagues Club first then non football club members are asked to leave, then football club.
Another point:
Badly handled football club matters can also effect the Leagues Club. When a club is doing well the crowds turn up...drink, play pokies, etc. When a club is not performing well the the numbers are diminished, thus negatively effecting club finances.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
The Popper said:
Both AGM's are held on the same night. I think Leagues Club first then non football club members are asked to leave, then football club.

That's right. At present the board members of both clubs are the same people. Otherwise they are separate entities. Two separate agms.

Another point:
Badly handled football club matters can also effect the Leagues Club. When a club is doing well the crowds turn up...drink, play pokies, etc. When a club is not performing well the the numbers are diminished, thus negatively effecting club finances.
Good point IMO. That's why clubs need to attract the best possible players and coaching staff. After the raiders game the place will revert to mediocre attendances.