What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Footy Show Gone

Eelectrica

Referee
I'd be disappointed if I'd ever watched the show but I never did so don't care.

Probably just end up filling the time slot with some worthless reality TV junk. Nothing lost nothing gained.

Lambretta

First Grade
Who watches FTA?

Well, I would say me - but I've moved into a rental property and whoever was here before me cut the wire from the aerial on the roof so no signal reaches the point in the wall

They must have really f**king hated the Footy Show

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Fans don't want 'light entertainment' long-form footy panel shows anymore, they want shorter and sharper stuff that discusses actual footy. Whether you like them or not, it's why NRL360 and 100% Footy formats are thriving. Same thing is happening in AFL.

The Footy Show served its purpose for quite a while but the audience has changed, as it does, over time. There's a good argument it went as long as it did on the back of sentiment more than necessity.

Apey

Staff member
https://www.betootaadvocate.com/unc...ccessfully-attempting-to-top-the-chilli-skit/

Channel Nine has today confirmedthat network executives have decided the NRL Footy Show concept will not return in any format in 2019.

The network released a statement confirming it is moving to revolutionise its rugby league coverage after another year of disastrous ratings, which many producers put down to the fact that they haven’t been able to top the hilarity of the programme’s 2001 variety segment that saw all members of the panel nearly pass out from the sheer pain that came from peer-pressuring each other into eating North Indian ghost chillis.

The iconic show has endured a death spiral in recent years with star host Paul Vautin punted to another role and the entire show being pushed to a later time slot following the network’s live Thursday night NRL coverage.

While some devastated fans are drawing correlations between the show’s ratings slump and the decline of panelists who were actually talented ex-footballers and therefor able to analyse the game properly – it appears the most commonly accepted theory is that the show became shit when they pulled back on stunts that resulted in vomiting – and stopped all the brutal jokes about 20-something-year-old footballers being in love with their missos.

Other hilarious skits that were also unable to top was the one where they went on that ride at the Gold Coast and Fatty vomited, or anything related to Reg Reagan.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Gus V Ivan in the bathrooms.

Erin V The big marn in the Man Cave

Flanno can tile.

NRL Block...................

Pedge1971

First Grade
As someone who only moved here in 2002 I’ve always thought it was f**king terrible. Doubly so coming from NZ where they actually manage to do sports panel shows that are actually funny (TAB Sports Cafe, Code, The Crowd Goes Wild).

Dude, I liked that Sports Cafe Show and am actually good mates with the human cannonball. But f**k me you put that on in Australia anywhere beyond 1990 and there would be f**king police charges!!

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
I remember being in stitches watching the chilli episode. That’s good
And daredevil dudes was always a laugh. Turned to shit after that. As gloomy as it was looking for Matt Johns there early on he’d be laughing now

siv

First Grade
There was no hard hitting stuff

It had become just a post game talk back show with the advent of ThNF

Needed to remain standalone eg Wed night

Killing off people like the Big Man and Mario didnt help

It needs light harded stuff but Beau is pretty poor. Plus the panel of Girdler Johns & Willie are dead set boring

They have no excitement in RL and their opinions are pretty worthless

They cutoff a jewel in the crown when they got rid of Middleton

While the kids segment is better suited to Sunday footy show

Not sure why they stopped the old Don Lane style version of a overseas guest star or music segment

They needed to get rid of the stupid stuff - but not the fun

It thrived on being a variety show- but being a post match analysis show was its death bed

Much like a loved one or close friend who's passed - I prefer to remember it for the good times, not for the times it was suffering...

Rather than be critical I'd rather be positive.. Many here might be too young to remember but in it's early years the Footy Show was groundbreaking.. For the older bastards here, you may know this but I think it's worth noting..

Before is started, Fatty was a regular guest on the Midday Show along with Simon O'Donnell to do sports previews etc. He'd have everyone rolling around laughing so Ch9 said bugger it - have your own show...

So he got Peter Sterling & Steve Roach to join him, and there it started. They literally had zero experience hosting a show and somehow it worked in their favour. It was off-the-cuff stuff which did have a great mix of footy talk and funny stuff..

It also got a lot of viewing from women/ mums and people who generally weren't footy fans. New audience reach which was really pioneering stuff.. because footy / sports shows up to that time were pretty much a mans' club. Think of Sportsworld with the Moose and the like.... Women loved Fatty Vautin and the show rated brilliantly.

It really was "The Show" of the week for most people I knew.. Must see stuff and everyone would be in the office the next day bantering about it '''how about when fatty ...etc etc".

A lot changed when Fatty has his accident in 2005. Many forget he was shooting a skit and fell off the back of a truck, whacked his head and was in a really bad way - he survived where he could easily have died and was smacked with severe depression and other symptoms, memory loss etc. He was off TV for a long time (I cant recall how long but think around 9 months...). He was never the same. Neither was the show..

Anyway I'll remember the Footy show for the good times and when it was at its best. A bit like the Simpsons for mine.

Like the Simpsons Seasons 1-6 were its absolute glory days - will always make me laugh no matter how many times I've seen it, season 6-12 were good. 12 onward.... well..

BBJF makes a lot of valid points about when it started to turn for the worse. At the time Fatty got injured, that was when they started cutting down on the actual rugby league review/preview stuff and increased the amount of "light entertainment" segments. As it was often with people who were un-funny, or not very entertaining to begin with (who can forget Craig Maclachlan's stand up shocker), it started bringing the show down and many league fans started to switch off and not watch it. Getting rid of respected commentators like Peter Sterling off the show added to that image of it not being much of a league show at all.

The Matty Johns Show on Fox now is closer to what The Footy Show was like back in its hey day. Thing is Johns and co might muck around, but on the whole they do not minimise the game by bringing in unrelated stuff (e.g. no promos for the Wallabies) and don't forget to preview upcoming games nor review games just played.