What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For any who bag the RLWC......

JW

Coach
in terms of tv audiences, sponsorships and money made from TV rights the RLWC won't even get close..

Geez Mong, who would've thought?

However, Copa's right re: attendances. Cricket WCs generally don't draw huge crowds. I suspect the Subbies would've been the only ones to turn out in force.

Cricket averaged 12,055 in RSA and 11,176 in the Windies.

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/2003-Cricket-World-Cup
http://guyanaprovidencestadium.blogspot.com/2007/10/guyana-what-our-rum-guzzling-cwc.html

screeny

Bench
so way off the mark this aint funny - fifa seed they dont contrive - for eg - greece were the laughing stock of football and earned their win in the euros and are now seeded high in all tournaments thats not contrived thats earnt - plus their rules have always been the same 8 groups seeded top 2 advance - yeah like thats the same here.:roll:

Mate you need to find out what contrived means before you quibble over semantics. Seeding is contriving by another name.

And you're doing exactly what I've derided: judged this tournament format along the conventions of institutions like the Fifa WC.

As for a draw from the hat, if people think that's what this tournament needed then they're insane. And by the way, the two Euro qualfiier groups were drawn from the hat IIRC.

As for seeding, our nations are seeded. The organisers decided to put the top seeds together for the sake of good contests. As I said, Fifa contrives to keep its big nations apart via seeding. Do you think for one second they'd risk having Brazil, Argentina, England and Germany drawn out of a hat so two can't get through to the Rd of 16?

Parra

Referee
Some sports can pull off the big events without seeding.

Best example is golf majors. When Tiger wins he beats the field. Now compare this to tennis - the best players are seeded into the final rounds. So Federer has only to beat the top 32, not the field.

Motor sport is the same for the big events - everyone has to qualify and race. There is no leg up for the big teams.

Horse racing is the same - if you fail to qualify bad luck - whether you are Bart Cummings or Joe Blow.

There are plenty of examples in these sports of hard luck stories and big drawcards missing out. There are plenty of genuine top sporting moments as well.

Soccer, tennis, rugby, league, surfing & a host of others go for the contrived finals via seeding, rigged draws, whatever you call it.

So whilst you can criticise the RLWC in this regard - it is in very good company as far as this sort of rigging goes.

Mong

Post Whore
Some sports can pull off the big events without seeding.

Best example is golf majors. When Tiger wins he beats the field. Now compare this to tennis - the best players are seeded into the final rounds. So Federer has only to beat the top 32, not the field.

Hard to compare golf to the others given that in golf you are not playing individual games against each of the rest of the field...

Soccer, tennis, rugby, surfing & a host of others go for the contrived finals via seeding, rigged draws, whatever you call it.

So whilst you can criticise the RLWC in this regard - it is in very good company as far as this sort of rigging goes

None of those do it quite like what is happening in the RLWC as far as i am aware..

Noa

First Grade
That's a puzzling comment

I think minnow teams such as the Ireland and Fiji etc will learn a lot from this world cup.

I don't think NZ or England will learn much more than Australia are the best team in the world and they are still a long way behind

Right, so a team (england) that hasnt played Australia for 2 years wont a learn a thing.

Noa

First Grade
Mate you need to find out what contrived means before you quibble over semantics. Seeding is contriving by another name.

And you're doing exactly what I've derided: judged this tournament format along the conventions of institutions like the Fifa WC.

As for a draw from the hat, if people think that's what this tournament needed then they're insane. And by the way, the two Euro qualfiier groups were drawn from the hat IIRC.

As for seeding, our nations are seeded. The organisers decided to put the top seeds together for the sake of good contests. As I said, Fifa contrives to keep its big nations apart via seeding. Do you think for one second they'd risk having Brazil, Argentina, England and Germany drawn out of a hat so two can't get through to the Rd of 16?

Yup, FIFA seed all teams befroe the draws are done so the likes of Brazil, Argentina, Germany etc dont meet two early.

its our game. we shouldnt have to wait 20 years for people to be doing things correctly.

basketball grew because its owners allowed the game to expand. it didnt put restrictions on the amount of money the game could earn.

if your happy to make excuses for pathetic coverage and people disregarding written and signed contracts because that some how benefits the long term future of the game, by all means keep convincing yourself.

P.S. keep telling yourself little things grow. she only said that to you to be nice :lol:

WTF are you on about. Im talking about the actual event not the dickheads in the ARL "running" the event.

VonVolks

Juniors
The RLWC methodology might be different (ie a main seeds super pool) but the idea is the same. Make sure the big teams get to the final and make the cup entertaining.

It seems to have succeeded so far, and I think the format is actually quite a success.

Now we just need England and NZ to wake up and get rolling or for Aussie to get ultra complacent and play a girls team in the semis or something.

Loudstrat

Coach
What part of 'enjoy it for what it is' don't you understand?

If you enjoy spin over substance go right ahead - but I don't see the need for the endless comparisons and whining.

This tournament has not captured the public attention. Despite the constant assertions of the self appointed amateur spin doctors. It seems that there are a lot of Rebecca Wilson wannabes in this place.
You mean, whinging like this:

This crap has been going on since 1954.

Enough talk of 'potential'.

There is no other sporting event in the world that has been given so many chances to capture the attention of the public and failed.

Enjoy it for what it is - but don't denigrate other international sport by making comparisons.

dope. It's posts like yours that are contributing to the bad vibe of the RLWC - and does every tournament.

Yes, I am enjoying it while I can. Meaning I don't feel the need to run the bloody thing down like you.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In hindsight the only thing I'd change would be to put PNG in the Tonga, Samoa group. That would have made that Group awsome and given PNG a fighting chance of progressing.

2013 WC would look like this for me:

Gp1
Australia
Tonga
France
Ireland

Gp 2
England
Samoa
Fiji
Ireland/Wales

Gp3
PNG
Tonga
Scotland/Wales
NZ

Top 2 from each group plus next best 2 wildcards go through to 1/4 finals.

Parra

Referee
You mean, whinging like this:

dope. It's posts like yours that are contributing to the bad vibe of the RLWC - and does every tournament.

Yes, I am enjoying it while I can. Meaning I don't feel the need to run the bloody thing down like you.

You just need to read the OP to put my response in context.

I still don't see what anyone is waiting 20 years for. This tournament has been running since 1954.

Loudstrat

Coach
Nice history lesson. But you are still whinging.

I'd prefer to enjoy it rather than join the whinge bandwagon because the RLWC isn't as big as the soccer world cup.

Nice try by Slater the other night wasn't it? No. should have had a bloody net across the goal posts.

dope.

Brutus

Referee
In hindsight the only thing I'd change would be to put PNG in the Tonga, Samoa group. That would have made that Group awsome and given PNG a fighting chance of progressing.

Had PNG beaten England (which they were close to doing, given a few ref decisions went against them), they most probably would have made the semis. No need for a play-off either.

People seem to forget they were a real chance of knocking the poms off and that would have most likely secured them a semi posi.

Latest posts