What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For the Premature Ejaculators on this Forum

Isurus

Juniors
millersnose said:
i dont acknowledge the stats

i think only a fool looks at the stats and forms an opinion from them

Questions assuming one doesn't see the game: -

If I look at the stats and it says "said player" made 4 line breaks and scored 3 tries, can an opinion be formed on the players attacking game?

If "said player" made 10 tackles and missed 8, can an opinion on his defence be formed from this?

On face value, most people would form an opinion that this player had a great attacking game and a shyte defensive game. This opinion could either be re-inforced or rubbished when actually viewing the game? Opinions aren't set in stone!!

millersnose

Post Whore
Isurus said:
Questions assuming one doesn't see the game: -

If I look at the stats and it says "said player" made 4 line breaks and scored 3 tries, can an opinion be formed on the players attacking game?

If "said player" made 10 tackles and missed 8, can an opinion on his defence be formed from this?

in the case of the first episode it may well be a winger who needed only to fall over the line

meters gained stats from the last 2 games have simmons way out in front

he has also been the highest try scorer

those are stats that if read without watching the game would lead you to beleive simmons is our best attacking player

he clearly is not

the second stat may well indicate a fullbacks defense when he is the last line of defence against forwards with momentum

clearly ststs can be misleading

On face value, most people would form an opinion that this player had a great attacking game and a shyte defensive game. This opinion could either be re-inforced or rubbished when actually viewing the game? Opinions aren't set in stone!!

i think we are agreeing?

Isurus

Juniors
Yeah Millers - I am agreeing. Stats are best used to back up opinions formed from actually watching the game. As you have highlighted above, stats used in isolation can be very misleading!!

Macca

Coach
I am also agreeing. Never had much interest in stats.

My opinions come from watching the games live, then on replay. Stats are the third and last thing I look at.

Mako

Juniors
I watch the game and don't even try to keep tab on the stats.

Then I check the stats after second run through and see how they equate with what I was thinking in the game.

Often I will run the replay and look for the things the stats highlighted and see if they were as bad or good as the stats portrayed.

The thing with stats is though - they need time. A few games worth tell you nothing particularly if they are not checked back against the game(s). However, over a long period patterns form - those can start to give pointers ( no not you poiner!) to certain traits but I don't think they should be used as conclusive evidence. The other thing about stats is you have to compare apples to apples - winger stats can not possibly be compared to Prop stats (would be like comparing Barina average fuel consumption to a Mack Trucks!).

imasharkie

Coach
the game is my highlight. stats mean nothing. Bailey must think the stats are hot as he seems to be making a run at Gallens hit up rate, the only problem is Gallens hit ups are quality and Baileys,......... ppphhhhttt a waste of time.

So once again the stats lie, especially in the case of Bailey.

Latest posts