What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

for those interested: Sterlo interview of mooks

Chipmunk

Coach
What players do you think are available right now?

Well, I think they have probably missed the boat for this year, had the chance to buy Orford and Champion and passed. Who exactly does he want to buy that isnt already under a contract for next year. He needs a half-back, who is the halfback he expects to get next year that isnt already under contract? Or does he think Robson is his answer to his problems?

eels81236

Bench
My take on this interview is that most of it was pretty standard coaching philisophies and a fair bit about Stephen Kearney as a person, away from football a bit.

One thing I did seem to get the impression of though is that he probably doesnt have the greatest faith in the current squad. He talks about buying the right players so we can be competitive in the next 12 to 24 months. When pressed about who he thinks we will play in the Grand Final at the end, he seemed very taken back. He obviously doesnt realistically see us as a premiership threat this year.....thats fair enough, I probably wouldnt disagree with him from what I have seen this year....but he is at least $600k under the cap, why doesnt he go and buy some players NOW if he admits the current team isnt good enough!

Good idea. I heard that there is a stack of quality players that decided to take a year off this season but have changed their minds. We should sign those guys.

Chipmunk

Coach
Good idea. I heard that there is a stack of quality players that decided to take a year off this season but have changed their minds. We should sign those guys.

We had the chance to buy two quality players in Orford and Champion since Kearney was appointed coach and he passed. There is no point in having $600k left in the NRL and not spending it.....its not as if we can spend it next year!

True EEL

Bench
Might have something to do with him being our best player and wanting to play in HIS best posistion. Where in 2009 he was the best player in the world.

point taken, especially RE: 2009 form.
but that was then and this is now.....and i think Hayne has a lot of development ahead of him and i think its closer to the action at 5/8

and let's just remember how poor he was positionally etc at fullback last year, i'm not convinced it is his best position

i think he plays at his peak when he is commanding the ball in the attacking zone and putting on a variety of plays for the team to score or scoring himself....

Gordy

Juniors
point taken, especially RE: 2009 form.
but that was then and this is now.....and i think Hayne has a lot of development ahead of him and i think its closer to the action at 5/8

and let's just remember how poor he was positionally etc at fullback last year, i'm not convinced it is his best position

i think he plays at his peak when he is commanding the ball in the attacking zone and putting on a variety of plays for the team to score or scoring himself....

I get your point TE, but he can probably be doing that from fullback anyway (as he has been), without the added defence and expectation of being the 5/8 as such.

True EEL

Bench
I get your point TE, but he can probably be doing that from fullback anyway (as he has been), without the added defence and expectation of being the 5/8 as such.

and that is a valid arguement, believe me

its just i really believe he could go to another level at 5/8
and do you think Darren Lockyer had to make all his tackles his career? he had Toni Carroll and others making them for him....and so on and so on for other great halves - and Jarryd is more than big enough to handle the load

overall i think it would be the challenge and resonsibility required to make him realise just how good he actually can be...

Gordy

Juniors
and that is a valid arguement, believe me

its just i really believe he could go to another level at 5/8
and do you think Darren Lockyer had to make all his tackles his career? he had Toni Carroll and others making them for him....and so on and so on for other great halves - and Jarryd is more than big enough to handle the load

overall i think it would be the challenge and resonsibility required to make him realise just how good he actually can be...

A very good point also (and I don't disagree with anything you are saying). Unfortunately, I just don't think we will get a chance to see it happen any time soon.

True EEL

Bench
A very good point also (and I don't disagree with anything you are saying). Unfortunately, I just don't think we will get a chance to see it happen any time soon.

sadly, i think u r right. i don't think we will get to see it happen or the chance for him to develop and truly shine :(

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Or maybe he's just better at fullback. If there's any position on the field where you have the freedom to attack wherever you want it's fullback.

There's the added bonus of having a minimal defensive workrate.

Latest posts