What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those QLD's upset at golden point

Eels Dude

Coach
I really don't see what difference it makes. Given the fact that NSW won the shield last year a draw was pretty much a win for them anyway because QLD would still have to win the last 2 games anyway to reclaim the shield. If anything they were better off, instead of the game ending in a draw and knowing they'd have to win the last 2 to regain the cup, at least they were offered the oppurtunity to win with golden point. It didn't work out, but it could have. There's nothing to complain about.

rugged

Juniors
Who's complaining?

I'd have LOVED the QLDers to win the series BECAUSE of the golden point that NSW introduced though!

Eelectrica

Referee
I agree with Golden Point, and ED is correct, it's just a pity that QLD couldn't take advantage of the opportunity. Made the game better for it. Timmins' kick was worthy of a match winner.

RenoufPhan

Juniors
I'm in favour of playing Golden Point extra time in Origins and Finals.

But before you spout off with this "all QLDers are whingers" crap, maybe you should realise that the reason golden point ever came into existance in the first place is because the NSW players and coaching staff complained about it to no end when we retained the shield a couple of years ago.

And it should be noted that both Darren Lockyer and Gorden Tallis said they were in favour of playing extra time - but the problem is with the rules.

Lockyer said it should be 5 minutes each way, instead of ending after the 1st points are scored. Tallis said it should be 1st try scorer wins, so the game doesn't turn into a field goal shootout (which is always does).

So get your facts striaght you dropkick instead of just peddling this "every QLDer is a whinger" crap that you get from the media.

mickdo

Coach
I don't have my facts wrong at all! You're still a pack of whingers on this one :lol:

Eels Dude

Coach
RenoufPhan said:
So get your facts striaght you dropkick instead of just peddling this "every QLDer is a whinger" crap that you get from the media.

You'd better not be referring to my thread starter when you are saying that, because I said nothing of the sort.

Ribs

Bench
Im sick of the Queensland whingers, there board are kidding themselves.

When there was a tied series, it was crap. Not because Qld retained the shield, but because nobody won the series. Simple as that.

The crap about 1st try scorer and the game being about tries is also bollocks because when the scores are level in the last 5 minutes, the game becomes a drop goal shootout anyway and has always been like that.

I was in the crowd and I can tell you it was awesome, absolute pressure and tension. When NSW got the ball in that first set of extra time they rucked it up beautifully and when QLD got it they made about 15 metres in their set. THAT cost them the game, they gave us the ball in a position to have a shot.

The crowd loved and the NSW players loved it.

QLD can jam it in their a*se.

Matt M

Juniors
How can a draw seem a better result than a result? Golden point is fantastic for everyone. I don't really mind if we play 5 each way then golden point or whatever (I'd prefer golden point a bit though), but you just can't have draws in Origin. In NRL I like the golden point but I wouldn't really care that much if it was scrapped. But for Origin, Finals and Tests, we have to have golden point.

Grantwhy

Juniors
Ribs said:

When there was a tied series, it was crap. Not because Qld retained the shield, but because nobody won the series. Simple as that.

The crap about 1st try scorer and the game being about tries is also bollocks because when the scores are level in the last 5 minutes, the game becomes a drop goal shootout anyway and has always been like that.

I was in the crowd and I can tell you it was awesome, absolute pressure and tension. When NSW got the ball in that first set of extra time they rucked it up beautifully and when QLD got it they made about 15 metres in their set. THAT cost them the game, they gave us the ball in a position to have a shot.

Origin is a perpetual series. You know, kind of like that thing in the Cricket between Us and the Poms, the Cinders.... or is it the Ashes :?: :p

anyway....

Like that cricket thingy - the team that wins a series holds the title/trophy and the next series the other team has to win the series to take the title/trophy away from the current holders. If they can't win the series against the current holders of the title/trophy, they don't get the title/trophy ;-) .

It seems quite sensible to me 8) .

pcpp

Juniors
Look, if NSW lost the golden point, all the whinging would come from NSW.

Golden Point will never work both ways.

nqboy

First Grade
You blokes are kidding.. I campaigned strongly against it when it was announced and nothings changed, it's a shit rule.

Bengal

Juniors
Grantwhy said:
Ribs said:

Origin is a perpetual series. You know, kind of like that thing in the Cricket between Us and the Poms, the Cinders.... or is it the Ashes :?: :p

anyway....

Like that cricket thingy - the team that wins a series holds the title/trophy and the next series the other team has to win the series to take the title/trophy away from the current holders. If they can't win the series against the current holders of the title/trophy, they don't get the title/trophy ;-) .

It seems quite sensible to me 8) .

I totally agree - it really is that simple, however simplicity is often to hard for people to understand funnily enough!

Golden point is garbage.

Eels Dude

Coach
pcpp said:

You couldn't be more wrong there. Most Blues fans would accept golden point, and i'm sure Phil Gould and the rest of the side would agree that despite the loss golden point is for the better.

rugged

Juniors
Most Blues fans would accept golden point, and i'm sure Phil Gould and the rest of the side would agree that despite the loss golden point is for the better.

Only because that's what they've said all along. Well, most of the QLD officials have said all along that they don't agree with it, so obviously that would be why they are complaining.

mickdo

Coach
pcpp said:

Rubbish. Parra has lost every golden point we have ever been in (and there's been a few), but that hasn't turned me off it.

Eels Dude

Coach
rugged said:
Most Blues fans would accept golden point, and i'm sure Phil Gould and the rest of the side would agree that despite the loss golden point is for the better.

Only because that's what they've said all along. Well, most of the QLD officials have said all along that they don't agree with it, so obviously that would be why they are complaining.

They're only saying that because it helped them retain the cup twice without winning the series. There is no strong argument for why golden point shouldn't be there. Logically, the series deserves a result. It's an anti-climax otherwise.