What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former first graders playing bush footy

dogslife

Coach
Former Bulldogs/Warriors/Catalans winger Justin Murphy Captained/Coached Toowoomba Valleys to a premiership last year

Red Bear

Referee
Gosh, that's interesting
:lol:

Don't know if you class the Illawarra comp as Bush League but there are a few ex first graders around there. Brent Sherwin plays for the Burgh along witha few others, Scott Logan is Collies captain/coach to name a couple.

auckwarriors

Juniors
Former Sharks Dean Bosnich coaches Valleys in the Toowoomba Rugby League.

A lot of former first graders hanging about on the Central Coast;

Aidan Kirk, former Warriors winger, plays first grade for Terrigal. Wes Tillott (ex-Souths) also plays for the Sharks. Jamie Goddard is the Terrigal u18s coach.

Former Dragon, Rabbitoh and Eel Wise Kativerata plays for Wyong under Paul Stringer.

Former Panther David McLean is captain-coach of Ourimbah.

Michael Buettner played for Kincumber last year.

Terry Hill coached Kincumber and Umina across a few years until 2010. Brett Kenny has been appointed firsts coach at The Entrance for this season.

Mark Horo coached Erina for a number of seasons in the Jim Beam Cup, with Jamie Goddard playing there a few years back. Jamie Feeney is coaching Erina now, and played last season.

He was meant to be going back periodically to play a few games. Don't think he did though because I never heard anything about it. He works for the NRL in some capacity and I think it was only going to happen if/when it fitted his schedule or something.

There are also plenty of players guesting around the country most years. Peachey often plays a few games. Shane Webcke played for Muswellbrook last year. Gary Freeman even played for Glen Innes two years back. I'm sure there will be a few others whoo will guest for clubs during the season.

thorson1987

Coach
Apparently Piggy Riddell has signed on to play for Thirlmere Roosters in Group 6 along with coaching the Roosters SG Ball side. Have not seen confirmation of this as yet though.

Mick Young from the Knights was at Central Charlestown last year too. He'll still be playing, if not there, at another club.

There would be a few ex-Knights in the local league I'd imagine. Not sure what Leo Dynevor is up to but he might still be playing. Actually he's playing a legeands game in a few weeks so maybe he's retired.

Leo Dynevor spent a few years at Thirlmere and is now playing for Liverpool Titans in either the Wests Seniors comp (if that even gets off the ground) or the Sydney Shield (Bundy Cup reserve grade effectively)

TommyGun

Juniors
Shannon Gallant was playing for one of the sides at the Forster Tuncurry 7's last week. Can't remember which side it was though.
Grant Wooden was playing for Scone

no name

Coach
Great reading

:?

Anyway, Luke Covell is running around for Murwillumbah again this year, Roy Bell has been running around calling the refs white merkins for the past couple of years for Northern United in the NRRRL.
Someone mentioned Wise Kativirata (sp?) before, he had a few seasons at Lismore Marist a couple of years ago, I don't think I've seen a bigger noggin. Would kill you if you had a head clash.

Played FG for Manly, then went to Wynnum and has played for a few country clubs since then. Been c/c at Scone for about three years.

MacDougall

First Grade
Haha I watched Roy Bell playing for Northern United vs. Grafton Ghosts in a qualifying final last year and he scored the most brilliant try ever and the referee called him offside ... from his own kick. It was baffling. Bell put up a mid field bomb, chased it down, plucked it out of the hands of the Ghosts fullback and ran another 20 to score but was ruled offside. Cost United the game too. He got binned afterwards so he must have done precisely what you said.

Also Craig Field is coaching Cudgen Hornets again this year I think. Not playing anymore though.

skeepe

Immortal
Last weekend in Young, Wendell Sailor, Simon Woolford, Rod Wishart, Paul McGregor, Ricky Stuart, Shaun Timmins, Brad Clyde, Ken Nagas, Quentin Pongia, Luke Davico, Bryan Fletcher, Josh Stewart, David Peachey, Adam Perry, Jason Croker and Shane Millard played a charity match against the Young Cherrypickers.

The Cherrypickers are captain-coached by former Dragon Luke Branighan.

There's a group of retired Raiders that pull on the boots every year to support footy in the bush. I think last year it was the Hay Magpies they helped out? Can't remember the exact details.

Last edited:

Teddyboy

First Grade
Is Bush Footy and other comps like the Central Coast etc semi-pro and what sort of support does it get.

Latest posts