What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former NRL players with dodgy tackling techniques in 2024

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
This is a thing of beauty, count at least 3 send offs in the current game though lol. One of my favourites ever, belted big forwards. Did ok for someone told in Auckland he wouldn’t make it

MKEB...

Staff member
John Lomax
Quentin Pongia.

Geez the number of suspensions between two was ludicrous. Usually before test matches.

Matua

Bench
This is a thing of beauty, count at least 3 send offs in the current game though lol. One of my favourites ever, belted big forwards. Did ok for someone told in Auckland he wouldn’t make it

I was never a huge fan, found him to be the opposite of the bloke in my avatar, always played well for your lot, not so much for the Kiwis and that included his big hitting which always had me worried at that level.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I was never a huge fan, found him to be the opposite of the bloke in my avatar, always played well for your lot, not so much for the Kiwis and that included his big hitting which always had me worried at that level.

Getting sent off for a ridiculous tackle right at the start of a test we ended up losing 58-0 about sums that up. Plus he got suspended during the 2008 World Cup (and then didn't get picked for the final) and following his last test in 2010. He had a very brief test career for a player of his longevity and status in the NRL which suggests the Kiwis management (not typically known for their nous in all fairness) must've got sick of him.

I thought it was brilliant when he ran up posturing on Mitch Allgood and got cracked on the chin for his troubles though.

Last edited:

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Adrian Morley

Another player I could never get into. This probably makes me a soft new-age fan but I could never get into "hard men" who seemed to build their reputation largely off illegal play. The biggest threat Morley offered was the likelihood that any given tackle was going to be high.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade

I can always remember after a test selection, Kearney was asked why he didn’t pick Matai and Junior Sau, and he replied they weren’t big enough to play at International level and picked 2nd rowers to play centre lol, from memory we played Tohu Harris in the centres marking Inglis and he got pumped

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
I can always remember after a test selection, Kearney was asked why he didn’t pick Matai and Junior Sau, and he replied they weren’t big enough to play at International level and picked 2nd rowers to play centre lol
I guess Kearney didn't want to say the actual reason of "you're heartless in the black jersey and you'll likely be in the bin for a period in the game".

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I guess Kearney didn't want to say the actual reason of "you're heartless in the black jersey and you'll likely be in the bin for a period in the game".
Heartless is a very strange take considering he got in trouble at that level for trying to whack people

Don’t get me started on Kearney lol, absolutely diabolical

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
Heartless is a very strange take considering he got in trouble at that level for trying to whack people

Don’t get me started on Kearney lol, absolutely diabolical
I'm no fan of Kearney but as noted I'm no fan of your Manly boy either. Heartless in that he never appeared to be putting in as much effort for us as for you, I don't think his poor tackling style is evidence of heart.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Not only did he basically get exiled from the Kiwis in pretty much his prime, he then packed a sad and said he wanted to play for Samoa instead anyway and tried to sabotage us...

"Matai has been something of a recruitment officer for Samoa, trying to convince players to join him at the World Cup, and he even sounded out former schoolmates Sonny Bill Williams and Thomas Leuluai."

Bloke never played a game for Samoa. I think this was a rare case where Kearney may have been onto something.