What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former NRL players with dodgy tackling techniques in 2024

Big Marn

Bench
I stumbled across this article accidentally while searching for something else.
It seems to be that not much has changed with the refereeing bosses in over 20 years.
We actually might have been getting reffed back then the way teams are getting reffed in 2024.

I also dont have a clear recollection of the incident the article is about.

Also, as a side note, right at the bottom of the page a certain beloved Raider was suspended for 7 weeks for a reckless high tackle. Irony.

Rugby League: Warriors stunned as ref gets high-level backing​

By PETER JESSUP

National Rugby League referees' coach Peter Louis has dismissed Auckland Warriors' claims that they were hard done-by in the 16-17 loss to Wests Tigers and will not be taking any action against whistler Mark Oaten.

That was to the amazement of the Warriors management, who had earlier declared they would not be laying an official complaint because "the evidence was there for everyone to see - it's not necessary for us to push it."

The club was fuming at the sending-off of wing Scott Pethybridge a minute before halftime, admitting that his shot on Joel Caine was high but contending it did no harm and deserved no more than a penalty.

"It could have been put on report or at most he could have used the sinbin," said chief executive officer Trevor McKewen. "In the context of what went on in round one, players like Stephen Kearney not charged at all and other players charged and getting off [Tiger Jarrod McCracken was the only one], it's very disappointing."

Video reviewer Jim Hall yesterday charged Pethybridge with a grade-two careless high tackle, a count that offers all sides an easy "out." Pethybridge's sending-off was clearly over the top, yet in charging him the NRL is seen to back up its match officials.

At the same time it offered the Warriors the chance to have him on the field again this week as the count carries 93 points for an early guilty plea, just short of the 100-a-match ban, and the club yesterday took that opportunity, citing "expediency."

The Warriors were reluctant to put the destiny of their players in others' hands, McKewen said.

The club was unhappy at the influence McCracken had in shouting at Oaten as he considered what action to take after the Pethybridge tackle.

They also questioned the Tigers' second try, alleging that the players who charged down John Simon's kick were offside. Monty Betham had crossed the line for what would have been a matchwinning try but it was disallowed.

Louis said: "I didn't have too many concerns. Mr Oaten handled the game reasonably well. He's a good young referee and it'll be good experience for him."

Of the Pethybridge incident, he said: "It was a tough call on him. I coached Scott and I know he's not a dirty player but everyone gets wrongfooted at times and it's unfortunate where he put his hand.

"Mr Oaten had two options - put the tackle on report or send him off. The sinbin is for professional fouls. Jarrod McCracken and Terry Hill, who also put his oar in, did not influence the referee "one iota."

Oaten could have warned them afterwards to butt out in future, Louis said, but the sending-off was justified.

Of the disputed try, Louis said: "Our tape shows no one offside."

McKewen said Warriors coach Mark Graham would be contacting Louis to voice a number of concerns, but offered little hope of resolution.

"At the end of the day we'll probably agree to disagree, as usually happens in these cases."

Betham had been on report for a high tackle but was not charged.

There was more bad blood spilled at Leichhardt Oval after McCracken hurled abuse at Graham in the dying stages of the game.

Graham had questioned the Kiwi second-rower's escape from the judiciary before the game and, as it closed, McCracken fired back.

The comments were not audible to Graham above the crowd noise but drew a complaint from McKewen to his opposite, Martin Bullock, who promised to talk to the Tigers captain.

The Warriors yesterday named the same team to play Brisbane at Ericsson Stadium on Sunday. Centre Ivan Cleary has again been left out but the club hopes he will pass a medical to allow him to play.

The Roosters will be seriously depowered in the propping department when they host the North Queensland Cowboys on Saturday, with Kiwi Quentin Pongia out for seven weeks after pleading guilty to a reckless high-tackle charge.

Warriors: Lee Oudenryn, Odell Manuel, David Myles, Nigel Vagana, Scott Pethybridge, John Simon (c), Robert Mears, Joe Vagana, Jason Death, Jerry Seuseu, Logan Swann, Tony Tuimavave, Scott Coxon; interchange Cliff Beverley, Monty Betham, Matt Spence, Mark Tookey.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Steve Matai would be in jail
Hahaha this is true. I was in Wellington 07, that was a massacre on Gasnier. Gasnier was almost dead, honestly he was horribly sick. He had no idea where he was, and basically didn't open his eyes for a long while. It was bad to watch.

Then Gary Kemble (remember that name?) had the temerity to suggest it wasn't a send-off. It made you wonder what would be, short of a gunshot wound.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Another player I could never get into. This probably makes me a soft new-age fan but I could never get into "hard men" who seemed to build their reputation largely off illegal play. The biggest threat Morley offered was the likelihood that any given tackle was going to be high.
Yeah, I agree with that. He made his reputation of wacking people like Paul Atkins and sending people into la-la land with stiff arms to the chin.

Latest posts