What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Panthers in the NRL

mxlegend99

Referee
I disliked Will Smith when he was here because of how frequently he did ridiculously shit things. But hey he's just an average player. Thats not his fault.

But now I hate him. And referees. He was rewarded for poor gamesmanship. Luke rolled out of the way and got as flat as possible. Will Smith threw the ball directly at a player making every effort to get out of the way.. and then acts like a merkin when he gets the penalty.

Referees are even worse for letting him. Should have called it a knock on.or penalised him for an intentional forward pass.

Kilkenny

Coach
I disliked Will Smith when he was here because of how frequently he did ridiculously shit things. But hey he's just an average player. Thats not his fault.

But now I hate him. And referees. He was rewarded for poor gamesmanship. Luke rolled out of the way and got as flat as possible. Will Smith threw the ball directly at a player making every effort to get out of the way.. and then acts like a merkin when he gets the penalty.

Referees are even worse for letting him. Should have called it a knock on.or penalised him for an intentional forward pass.

No need to hate Will Smith MX.

He's one of those players who is a useful utility and a valuable member of a squad. He wasn't as bad for us, or the Eels, as some make out.

The milking of penalties is 'rife' in the game at present and while being a 'blight' on the game I blame the NRL & Match Officials who again display a total lack of common sense in the way the game is being officiated.

franklin2323

Immortal

He's one of those players who is a useful utility and a valuable member of a squad. He wasn't as bad for us, or the Eels, as some make out.

The milking of penalties is 'rife' in the game at present and while being a 'blight' on the game I blame the NRL & Match Officials who again display a total lack of common sense in the way the game is being officiated.

Common sense is what the refs lack. High tackles penalties counted in time wasting tally. No advantage

mxlegend99

Referee

Milking a penalty and then being a merkin thtowing it in the players face who did nothing wrong?

That's just terrible gamesmanship. Thank god he only ever missed tackles and made errors for us.

Footy goods took care of it though.

OldPanther

Coach
You have no idea how good that makes me feel.

Carty looking much better this week. Not close to the Carty who starred for us. But a step in the right direction.

Hes trying to run and make tackles as often as he can and get involved.

Yeah it was nice to watch. Tits put Bryce on for small minutes in the back row which is his best position. Looked like a footballer again. Just build him up from there as he gets back mentally. Baby steps.

mxlegend99

Referee
Nrl app has him with 3 runs for 47m. 21 of those being post contact metres.

He wanted more carries but was used as a decoy..or his teammates really fidnt want to pass to him. Not sure.

Made 4 tackles. Missed 1. Not for lack of effort though.

Again. Not a starring performance. Just a step in the right direction. Crowd cheered him too. So hopefully its the start of better things for him.

mxlegend99

Referee
Te Maire Martin has been promoted to starting half for Cowboys.

Coote dropped for Morgan to shift to fullback. Te Marie Martin has done well to play nearly every NRL game up there considering he signed expecting to be in reserves learning from Morgan and Thurston. Not partnering them in a spine.

Last edited:
Te Maire Martin has been promoted to starting half for Cowboys.

Coote dropped for Morgan to shift to fullback. Te Marie Martin has done well to play nearly every NRL game up there considering he signed expecting to be in reserves learning from Morgan and Thurston. Not partnering them in a spine.

Do you reckon he's a lock for the five eight role (with Morgan to halfback) once JT retires?

mxlegend99

Referee
Do you reckon he's a lock for the five eight role (with Morgan to halfback) once JT retires?
Its the best option they have at the moment. It worked well for them last year so I would think that's the first choice option.

But if youre not winning games anything can happen. I think their trash backline is the issue. Packs underperforming but clearly a beast pack. Halves are good.

But the backs? Can be solid but really aren't as classy as other backlines. They should have kept Ponga.

If they get Holmes that adds some class though.

OldPanther

Coach
Its the best option they have at the moment. It worked well for them last year so I would think that's the first choice option.

But if youre not winning games anything can happen. I think their trash backline is the issue. Packs underperforming but clearly a beast pack. Halves are good.

But the backs? Can be solid but really aren't as classy as other backlines. They should have kept Ponga.

If they get Holmes that adds some class though.

They tried to keep Ponga but Newcastle had so much money spare they did a Godfather and made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Kilkenny

Coach
They tried to keep Ponga but Newcastle had so much money spare they did a Godfather and made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

I’m sure NQ are regretting letting Ponga go big time. Huge mistake. Coote was past his use by date big time and NQ failed to acknowledge the fact. There loss and they are paying for it now. No sympathy.

OldPanther

Coach
I’m sure NQ are regretting letting Ponga go big time. Huge mistake. Coote was past his use by date big time and NQ failed to acknowledge the fact. There loss and they are paying for it now. No sympathy.

I wasn't saying they deserved sympathy I was saying they had no choice. Knights had soare cash and threw it at Ponga. Cows just couldn't compete.

age.s

First Grade
I don't think Martin has shown much at all at the Cows. Might be due to the general funk that club is in atm but you'd think he'd have grown more than he has alongside JT.