What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forum 7's Easts Vs Dirty Reds Rnd 10

supermario

Juniors
It was a close game against the panthers only missing out on a win by 78 points !

This round we take on the Dirty reds and we need people to play !!!
this is a home game and we have the extra sub

Full Time: Wednesday 3rd August at 9pm (Syd time)

Team so far:

1. Supermario
2. Ozzie

res
1. Morticia

ozzie

Bench
I am now going to do my article -it will be posted this weekend...but will be away next week again..family reasons

...Morticia...

Juniors
ok help needed for an artcle. paul hayward who played for newtown in the 70's. the same paul hayward convicted of heroin smuggling in 78 and subsequently died of AIDS in 92? cant find a lot of info on it t' back it up and dont want t' be accused of being a bec wilson :lol: any info greatly appreciated.

ozzie

Bench
I have posted and this is nearly my last one - till next year maybe

Don't know how many players we will have - but here is my effort..not great - but will do
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Remember?

Have you ever had to do job you really didn't want to do?? Well last week I had to.

My roof was leaking and I needed to run some sealant around the roof capping. One thing I am scared of is heights, and when I put the ladder up against the side of the house I didn't really want to go up it. But up I went.

The day was fine and in the middle of winter I started to enjoy the views as I overlook the town of Yass. I then ran the sealant around the roof capping and then again sat down. Stupor must have taken over as a lot of memories come flooding back to me.

I have followed Rugby league since 1956 when I played my first game of football. My mate next door was always the one we looked up to at a young age. He was a natural sportsman. We played football together for several years and we both played possibles v probables 8 stone 7's for NSW selections. We both missed out but I think I missed out when he was killed in a car accident when he was only 21. I missed a friend forever. I named one of my sons after him.

I then started to recall some of the great football games and memories of the great sides I have seen.

The teams of Souths from 1967-71 until their side was ripped apart, due to financial problems. I had the pleasure of seeing a lot of their games as in those days I used to live in Waterloo and it was only a quick walk to Redfern Oval. I also remembered Simms kicking goals from everywhere.

The great Rooster's side of 1974-75 was also in my memory. I only saw the 1974 grand final and it was a great day and a long night and a great long day the day after.

I never got to see the 1975 grand final for some years after, but hell did you think I didn't win some money on that day. I was in the Navy then and we were in the middle of the Pacific Ocean on the day the game was played.

I started to think about the players I had played against and with in Country football. Names don't mean a thing to others but they do to me.
"Ding Doyle", my coach, and my centre partner when I made my first grade debut.

He took the punishment that was aimed at me and never have I seen someone bleeding so much after a game. I took the player of the match award. Being 17 you don't think much of this until the euphoria had died down. I gave him my award..$10.00 in those days was a lot of money and we shared the bottle together. His words to me is "you did well". I recall it was also nice to walk into the Murrumburrah Hotel and seeing him sitting in the corner, his corner, until one day when I walked in he wasn't there - Cancer had won again.

I also remember a funny incident when "Snowy" Apps playing for Harden galloped 50 yards to score a try with no shorts, they had been ripped off him by the last defender. His "you know what"was swinging in the breeze.

Les Woods - who he hell is he? you would say - he was just a front row forward - did the hard yards and would say "look after the youngen's". He'd be the first there to protect us.

I went on to playing many first grade games in the country and I always used to stress that we had to look after our young players. Your lessons, Les, were never forgotten.

The sun was shining well and the ladder was there but I didn't want to move. Again, I sat on the ridge cap and I could hear the crowd cheering my last game and premiership. Times so far removed and gone.

I now know what real pain is - its in my ankles and knees. I no longer see friends made because i can't walk far. Was it worth it??

I snapped out of the stupor when my wife called "Darling are you alright?" . "Give me 5 minutes" was my reply.

As I climbed down off the roof I looked at the ladder, and the roof and said "see you next week".

Latest posts