What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four At A Time: Rounds 5-8 Wrap Up

rabbitohs95

Bench
Played: Cowboys, Panthers, Bulldogs, Broncos (L, W, L, L)

For: 59
Against: 73

Players Used: 20

Game Reviews:

Round 5: Cowboys 20 def Rabbitohs 6 @ 1300SMILES Stadium

A promising start to the game was short lived after a glutton of possession was left wanting as we continuously dropped the ball.

Against a determined Cowboys outfit boosted by the return of Lachlan Coote and Jason Taumalolo, the Rabbitohs were gallant in defeat but just couldn't compete against the 2015 premiers.

It was the second week in a row where we conceded 20 points and only scored 6, but it was a good lesson for our younger blokes and the team as a whole

Rating: 4.5/10

Round 6: Rabbitohs 21 def Panthers 20 @ Pepper Stadium

Our third win of the year came against a Panthers side minus a majority of their backline and captain after breaking team curfew.

They weren't without fight however, and while we did take the lead on multiple occasions, defensive lapses meant we handed the Panthers another chance to snatch victory. Luckily for us though, the experience of our team really shone, particularly with Adam Reynolds and his golden boot kicking us the win.

Braidon Burns had a night to forget after dropping multiple bombs from youngster Nathan Cleary. We just got the 2 points, but a win is a win.

Rating: 6/10

Round 7: Bulldogs 24 def Rabbitohs 9 @ ANZ Stadium

For the first 60 minutes we were competitive on this Easter Friday blockbuster but we fell away poorly in the last quarter of the match, failing to post a single point in the second half.

It was a disappointing result considering the Dogs aren't that great a team and we had enough firepower to outdo them, but our decision making and fifth tackle options were poor to say the least.

Sam Burgess had a mammoth of a game and it was evident how important he was to our cause, and as soon as he came off we fell apart.

Round 8: Broncos 25 def Rabbitohs 24

Oh the things I could say about this game. Despite being without Adam Reynolds, and despite the referees seemingly doing everything in their power to gift the Broncos a win, the boys played very well considering the circumstances.

The forwards, lead by the Burgess boys, really put in some oomph and got us over the advantage line well. Cody Walker and John Sutton lead the team around admirably without our little general, and the outside backs, for the most part, did well to shut down the likes of James Roberts and Anthony Milford.

Unfortunately, luck wasn't on our side, and besides the refereeing blunders, we seemed to fall apart when it counted, with Tom Burgess dropping a crucial ball, George Burgess stupidly shoulder charging Milford, Bryson Goodwin trying to boot the ball off the kickoff and Cody Walker running it on the last play instead of going for the field goal.

Again, it was another game that will be a great learning experience for our young guys, particularly debutant Cam Murray, who performed superbly under high pressure circumstances.

Rating: 7.5/10

Player Reviews:

George Burgess: Another disappointing stint. He just can't seem to control his aggression. As soon as he starts looking good, he does something stupid and gets suspended. Won't feature in the next segment because of this (4 weeks out)
Rating: 2/10

Sam Burgess: Once again, easily our best forward, has been his trademark self; high work rate, plenty of runs and plenty of tackles.
Rating: 8.5/10

Tom Burgess: Has really improved his game and is holding onto the ball and making good charges.

Braidon Burns: Got absolutely bombarded against the Panthers and got caught out against the Dogs. Still learning the game and hopefully will regain some confidence in reserve grade.

Anthony Cherrington: Only got the one game against the Cowboys and struggled due to fatigue, but showed some promising runs.
Rating: 5/10

Jason Clark: Has stayed ever solid but has been outclassed by our other forwards, only because they're improving though.
Rating: 7/10

Damien Cook: Has now come into the starting team and has done well for himself. Bagged his first try in red and green against the Broncos and is gaining confidence with each week.

Angus Crichton: In the last review I said he took his opportunity with both hands coming off the bench, but now he's done more so by starting and playing plenty of minutes. Our second best forward behind Sam and is killing it.
Rating: 8/10

Robbie Farah: Has been demoted to the bench but tactically used when necessary and has done a solid job when required. Helped win the Panthers game and set up two important tries against the Broncos.
Rating: 7.5/10

Bryson Goodwin: One of our best performers who always puts in 100% no matter what stands in his way, on field or off. Is really leading the young backs around.

Hymel Hunt: Only got the one game in due to suspension but did well there out of position on the wing. Strong runs and helped to plug up the right side defence somewhat.
Rating: 5.5/10

Greg Inglis: Failed to play a game in this period
Rating: N/A

Robert Jennings: Has shown flashes in attack but still needs to mark his man and aim up in defence. Good potential and improves with each game.
Rating: 6.5/10

Alex Johnston: Is getting better and better with each game he plays at the back. Constantly improving and scored a scintillating try against the Bulldogs, showing he's still got some of that magic from 2014. Just needs to warm up more to the fullback position.

Luke Kelly: Failed to play a game in this period.

Sitiveni Moceidreke: Failed to play a game in this period.
Rating: NA

Cam Murray: Debuted in Round 8 against the Broncos and only played 20 minutes, but showed enough promise to warrant selection in the future. His bone crunching defence and strong running will see him in first grade for years to come.

Zane Musgrove: Has improved and is getting used to the demands of NRL level footy. Good impact off the bench.

Adam Reynolds: Had a blinder against the Panthers but fell off the radar against the Cowboys and Dogs and didn't play the Broncos.
Rating: 5/10

Robbie Rochow: Failed to play a game in this period.

John Sutton: A bit of a mixed bag once again. Did well against the Panthers but was caught out due to fitness struggles against the Cows and Dogs but was back to his old self against the Broncos, filling in his familiar position at 5/8.

Siosifa Talakai: Tries his hardest and gives it his all but has been caught out a bit in defence. Still on the rise though and is improving with each week. Would be better suited to the back row though.
Rating: 5.5/10

Kyle Turner: A move to the front row has worked to his strengths, and he has shown how good a workhorse he can be in the middle.

Dave Tyrrell: Failed to play a game in this period

Cody Walker: While he wasn't as good as the first four games, he certainly is still one of our best. Has scored and set up more tries than anyone else in our team and directed the team superbly against the Broncos without Reynolds.

Bear Watch: Fourth

Unfortunately the Bears have fallen by the wayside a little bit due to massive shuffles in the team.

They have lacked firepower considering the Burgess twins were elevated to NRL level and have taken some heavy defeats after a promising start.

Still, the likes of Tyrell Fuimaono, Sitiveni Moceidreke and Cam Murray have been given NRL opportunities thanks to their form, and the side has welcomed 20's five-eighth Adam Doueihi to the side, as well as the return of the injured Brett Greinke.
Still, the team stands with 5 wins and 3 losses from 8 rounds and has enough firepower to compete with any team they come across.

Overall:

A disappointing period results wise, but despite the lack of wins, there are positives.

The forward pack is really coming together, particularly Turner and Crichton, and while the halves have been a bit shaky, the outside backs are improving with each game they play.

I know a lot on here will complain about our backs (and I've probably put you on ignore because of that), but the likes of Jennings, Burns, Talakai and to a lesser extent AJ are still finding their feet in their positions in the NRL.

While I do agree that Talakai should be used as a back rower, his work from behind our 20 is severely under appreciated, and his first contact and work rate is great. Jennings and Burns are also new to the NRL and are showing glimpses of talent, while AJ is impressing me each and every week he wears the number one. It doesn't feel like we've lost GI anymore, it feels like we've just got an up and coming fullback making his mark.

The next four games, vs Sea Eagles, Tigers, Storm and Eels, is definitely a period where we can win at least 3/4 of our games. If we can go into the next segment with that amount of wins, we'll be on track to hopefully cracking the finals.

Again, while this period didn't reap any points, it will be viewed as an important period for our younger players and our team as a whole.

alien

Referee
Just in regards to Talakai possibly moving to the second row, well he is going to have to improve his defense if he is going to be a first grade second rower, or any other position in first grade!

doyen

Bench
Ah yep that was meant to be many instead of any

Talakai might go well as an old-fashioned block-busting winger ala Vatuvai & Taufua from Manly & some others from the past.

He's not slow & seems very strong when close to the line--------what he's like under a high ball,I don't know--but the 2 mentioned above aren't brilliant in that dept!!

His ability to bustle across the line would offset the other weakness;if he indeed has one there.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Just because a centre can bust the line with his hard runs does not mean he should be in first grade. His defence is absolutely atrocious and it's mostly because of his figure. He just gets outpaced in the centre/wing position. Talakai is too much of a defensive liability to be able to play at centre. 2 tries against the broncos were definitely his fault. He scored 1. How does that balance out in any case? The only way he is gonna get somewhere in first grade is to turn him into a interchange prop that comes on and just runs like crazy which is what we need. it's also much easier to defend in the middle than the centre/wing position for those of you that didn't already know.

I have a big question regarding Adam douiehi. Who the hell is he and how good is he playing?
If he's playing in NSW cup maguire must be wanting him ready for a first grade debut for around origin time?

rabbitohs95

Bench
I have a big question regarding Adam douiehi. Who the hell is he and how good is he playing?
If he's playing in NSW cup maguire must be wanting him ready for a first grade debut for around origin time?
Under 20s Five-Eighth. Eighteen years old and pretty big for a half; I believe he's around 190cm and 96kg, he played in the Aus and NSW Schoolboy Union teams last year. Also played in the trial vs Manly.

Although the 20s aren't doing well he's been performing well. Is a good runner and organiser and can goal kick too. Probably will be elevated to NSW Cup for a majority of the year.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Talakai might go well as an old-fashioned block-busting winger ala Vatuvai & Taufua from Manly & some others from the past.

He's not slow & seems very strong when close to the line--------what he's like under a high ball,I don't know--but the 2 mentioned above aren't brilliant in that dept!!

His ability to bustle across the line would offset the other weakness;if he indeed has one there.
Hard to agree with you there Doyen. Talakai's running can be explosive but he lacks a lot of speed.

doyen

Bench
Hard to agree with you there Doyen. Talakai's running can be explosive but he lacks a lot of speed.

How fast are Vativai & Taufau--I would have thought they'd be similar in speed--Madge is persevering with him in the backline for reasons best known to him--- but where you do place him to overcome his defence problems!!!
The Bears!!??? I admit he's hardly a speedster but he's not slow!!!
I don't think he'd hack it as a forward-----hence Madge's determination to make him a centre!!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
How fast are Vativai & Taufau--I would have thought they'd be similar in speed--Madge is persevering with him in the backline for reasons best known to him--- but where you do place him to overcome his defence problems!!!
The Bears!!??? I admit he's hardly a speedster but he's not slow!!!
I don't think he'd hack it as a forward-----hence Madge's determination to make him a centre!!

Taufua is extremely fast especially over the initial 20. His acceleration is extraordinary. He either has to learn to defend properly or defend in the middle. It's a no brainer really.

doyen

Bench
Taufua is extremely fast especially over the initial 20. His acceleration is extraordinary. He either has to learn to defend properly or defend in the middle. It's a no brainer really.

Just looking at some of Taufua's highlights on Youtube & the greater bulk of his tries display his ability close to the line-----hustling & bustling his way over with strength & power!!
Maybe Talakai needs more time at the Bears!!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Just looking at some of Taufua's highlights on Youtube & the greater bulk of his tries display his ability close to the line-----hustling & bustling his way over with strength & power!!
Maybe Talakai needs more time at the Bears!!

I hate manly but taufua is one seriously good player. I would not mind at all if talakai turned out like him.

I think the bears is perfect for talakai to be honest. Give him some time to work on his sliding. He's got great potential. All of our youngsters do.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Just in regards to Talakai possibly moving to the second row, well he is going to have to improve his defense if he is going to be a first grade second rower, or any other position in first grade!
No way I'd give AJ a 7.

I'd give him a 5.

One bit of great play in a month doesn't cut it for me.

Latest posts