What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four Nations - Where's the build up?

jim_57

Staff member
I know it's still 6 months away but I'm fairly disappointed with the 4N build-up. This time last year we had WC ticket sale numbers flying around, broadcast details etc. etc. This year I've only heard about the broadcast numbers once and we still don't know 2 venues, although one could probably guess.

I heard in an article on TRL that 40 countries have coverage so far, that's OK i guess but I would have liked it to get to a large number like the World Cup.

I for one am really looking forward to this tournament. Looking forward to seeing NZ try and claim both major IRL trophies, looking forward to seeing what England and France have got at home, looking forward for to seeing the French boys mix it with the best.

teamGB

Juniors
im looking forward to it too mate, hopefully England will finally win something....

Any way- i have had a RFL booklet about two months ago (??) with ticket deals in there for all major finals and the 4 nations. they have direct debit scheme, 10 for the price of 9 etc...
which stadiums are unconfirmed? the french games??

only other thing i know is that 1 england game will be on bbc, the rest on sky. but we dont know which one yet. i think more info will slowly start trickling through soon.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
The Rugby Football League (RFL) has started a search for a headline sponsor for this autumn’s inaugural Four Nations Rugby League tournament involving Australia, England, France and World Champions New Zealand.
The four week long tournament, to decide the best team in World Rugby League in 2009, kicks off in late October and will see games played in London, Yorkshire, Lancashire and France.
All games will be televised to 40 countries worldwide and in the UK games will be broadcast by either the BBC or Sky Sports with viewer numbers expected to vary between 350,000 and 1.5 per million per game.
A launch event is also planned for later this year as is an international awards ceremony in the build up to the Four Nations Final that will be played at Elland Road, Leeds.
Paul Kimberley, the RFL’s Commercial Director, said: “This is a fantastic opportunity for a brand to raise its profile and associate itself with one of the UK’s fastest growing sports by sponsoring a prestigious international tournament. Last year’s World Cup in Australia was a huge success commercially with record TV audiences and it’s likely that this year’s Four Nations will follow suit.
“Rugby League prides itself on being a family sport and inclusive for all and we’re pricing tickets for this event accordingly. Not only will this tournament attract bumper crowds but also big TV audiences with both the BBC and Sky screening fixtures.”
Following their World Cup victory last year, New Zealand will start the tournament as joint favourites with Australia. However with games on home soil both France and England will fancy their chances of success.
This will be the first year that a Four Nations tournament has taken place and is an expansion of successful Gillette Tri-Nations events involving Australia, England and New Zealand that were held in 2004, 05 and 06.
Although Gillette will continue as England shirt sponsor for the next two years they have decided not to follow up their Tri-Nations sponsorship with that of the Four Nations.
Nathan Homer, Business Leader, Gillette UK & Ireland, said: “The Tri-Nations was a fantastic event for Gillette and helped us meet our objectives at the time.
“Since the last tournament we’ve changed our sponsorship objectives slightly and are now investing more resources into grassroots Rugby League as well as the England national team who we are committed to until the end of 2010. We naturally wish the RFL, who are one of our longest standing and strongest partners, all the best with this year’s tournament.”
Anyone wanting more information on the Four Nations should e-mail huw.ellis@rfl.uk.com

Coastbloke

Bench
Really looking forward to it as well..

I guess they can expect bumper crowds because given where they lumped Australia vs NZ, just the team families have to turn up and the ground would be full...

Hopefully France make a impact and hopefully they won't be playing Props as halfbacks etc etc like last years WC..

Good news about the TV deal or broadcast rights..40 countries is pretty good 6 months out..

Not even 6N yawnion is played on FTA in Australia - thank god....

Should be a great tournament..The majority of the venues suck, but the matches should be great...

jim_57

Staff member
which stadiums are unconfirmed? the french games??

only other thing i know is that 1 england game will be on bbc, the rest on sky. but we dont know which one yet. i think more info will slowly start trickling through soon.

The games in france havn't been confirmed yet as far as I know. Though I'm sure they're penciled down. Paris for the Australia game, and either Toulouse or Perpignan for the NZ game.

The BBC game would have to be V Australia surely?

deluded pom?

Coach
The games in france havn't been confirmed yet as far as I know. Though I'm sure they're penciled down. Paris for the Australia game, and either Toulouse or Perpignan for the NZ game.

The BBC game would have to be V Australia surely?

I doubt whether Sky would let the BBC cherry pick the England v Australia game.

westie

Bench
How good is this. All I hear on here for 12 months is bitching and moaning about what a disaster the WC would be and how there was no build up. Now you're whinging because we don't have WC build up 12 months later?!?!

Chook Norris

First Grade
I heard in an article on TRL that 40 countries have coverage so far, that's OK i guess but I would have liked it to get to a large number like the World Cup.

What is TRL? :oops:

---------
That's pretty good tbh, no way was it ever going to get like the WC Figures since it doesn't have "World Cup" in it

jim_57

Staff member
How good is this. All I hear on here for 12 months is bitching and moaning about what a disaster the WC would be and how there was no build up. Now you're whinging because we don't have WC build up 12 months later?!?!

Was it me personally who was whinging about the WC? I think you'll find the answer is no.

You have to admit though it's fairly poor that 6 months out 2 venues havn't been confirmed and we hear very little about it.

Latest posts