What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fox Coverage

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thread for commentary and review of Fox’s RLWC coverage.

Just watching the RLWC show from earlier in the week to get me in the mood for tonight. Pretty good with some good interviews and team footage. Off to a good start.

brandys pronunciation of Sal-fud made me laugh.

wain

Juniors
great little animated start-up! no doubt that was made by RLWC and will go worldwide with the coverage...can't be foxsports made as there was no Matt Nable voice over :)

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Fox Sports used to be exciting and innovative.

It is a glorified reaction video these days, with heaps of ads. All coverage from a cushy studio. Cheap and nasty.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
A bit disappointing to miss the opening ceremony. Although they appear to be having a Billy Idol moment lol....

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Someone should have thrown a tarp over that Newcastle United sign, would of looked about as professional as the opening ceremony.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Thought the fox coverage was awful honestly, normally fox dominate 9 here in aus, but the first 40 mins they were talking about Australia and the nrl before an England samoa game, f**king like we wanna hear about the Aussies at that point, I was tuning in to watch the other 2 countries, give it the respect it deserves.
Still heaps of snobbery towards the international game, they need ti get more positive about the games.
Lift your game fox.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
Thought the fox coverage was awful honestly, normally fox dominate 9 here in aus, but the first 40 mins they were talking about Australia and the nrl before an England samoa game, f**king like we wanna hear about the Aussies at that point, I was tuning in to watch the other 2 countries, give it the respect it deserves.
Still heaps of snobbery towards the international game, they need ti get more positive about the games.
Lift your game fox.

I think Fox is trying but are missing the mark a little.

- They had a panel talking up the tournament. Vonny, Ennis and Inglis. Vonny is great and i like Ennis. Inglis is new but has to start somewhere. I appreciated them elevating him to an analyst and hope he can grow into the role.
- Pity said panel talked over the top of the ceremony. Would have been nice to see the performances, flags of all the nations etc. Shouldn't be one or the other.
- i don't like the Aussie focus either. Us die-hards who tune into the RLWC don't want to hear about Radley or other NRL players ad nauseum. We want to hear about those we know less about. Would have been nice to get some insight into the superleague contingent.
- The dropouts of reception were horrible but it sounds like it was genuinely an issue with the organisers feed to international broadcasters. Hopefully all resolved now.

Just glad we have international footy back and its not a one team show.

Anything better than watching Channel 9 too.

undertaker

Coach
Lift your game fox.
This is where Channel 7/7Mate's pre-match and post-match coverage of the 2013 and 2017 World Cups stood head and shoulders above what was on display from the Fox League pannelists last night.

At least Ryan Phelan and the other Ch7 pannelists had genuine discussion of the teams that were playing that day, rather than wanking on about the NRL or Australia, Australia, Australia...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Surprised they didnt have their own commentary teams? Was really looking forward to vossy and smithy’s commentary and enthusiasm for the international game. Fox being cheap?
the stream going off at key moments in the England game didnt endear them to me much either!

Perth Red

Post Whore
L
Agreed.

Not a good endorsement to see a 60-6 and 42-8 scorelines on the opening day of the tournament.

Hoping some closer scorelines will ensue over the following weeks.
Like most world cups and Olympics, the opening rounds are just the warm ups for the sudden death finals. RL being an unforgiving game when there’s a small difference in class doesn’t help our game either.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
Surprised they didnt have their own commentary teams? Was really looking forward to vossy and smithy’s commentary and enthusiasm for the international game. Fox being cheap?
the stream going off at key moments in the England game didnt endear them to me much either!
English language commentary is provided fully by BBC:

Alongside the BBC's lead rugby league commentator Dave Woods are Matt Newsum and Sharon Shortle and joining them across the whole tournament is one of Australia's most recognisable voices, Andrew Voss. Mark Wilson and Andy Stevenson complete the top class commentary line-up.

As such, Voss is over there and will call a number of games.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That’s good, get him on!

should have an international panel of Ennis, sam burgess and Benji to bring some knowledge of more countries.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
Given the games are on in the dead of night, you think Fox would put in some effort so the minis are available in the morning for people to watch before work, or at least the night after.

Went to watch Scotland v Italy and Ireland v Jamaica yesterday morning and again last night. Only full replay available. Both up now but pretty slow.