What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fox decision on AFL

Perth Red

Post Whore
With Fox deciding not to screen AFL is this good, bad or indifferent for the NRL? You would think given that the NRL is now THE major sport Fox will be screening that they would put all their efforts and marketing behind it. Somehow I have a feeling though that it will be same old, same old.

If Ch31 get AFL that will be good news for RL, If ABC or 7/10 get/keep it for NSW and Q'land then bad news.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I'm not sure what it means for the NRL, but surely this whole thing is a disaster for Channels 7 and 10??

Apparently if Fox are out, this is going to leave them with a $60 million+ hole a year in the loss of income from Fox, and increased production costs ( as they will now have to cover all 8 games themselves...

I hope the AFL make the most of this TV deal because the next one won't be looking as good...

Quidgybo

Bench
From a RL point of view the best deal is definitely 4 games going to Foxtel (probably 5 in NSW/QLD including Friday nights). It reduces the number of AFL matches telecast on FTA while not being a strong draw for additional pay TV subscriptions in the northern states. The flip side is that it will likely increase the number of Foxtel subscriptions in the southern states. This of course would have a flow on effect in making Pay TV RL telecasts (such a Monday Night Football) a lot more accessible to the general public – ie. the higher the penetration of Pay TV the less important the question of FTA vs Pay TV telecasts becomes. The overall effect is that AFL gets less exposure everywhere while RL gets less competition for the hearts and minds in the northern states and possibly more exposure in the southern states on the back of AFL driven pay TV migration.

The best result for the AFL is all games on FTA everywhere. Yes, it’d be a disaster for 7 and 10 as they’d certainly get thrashed in the ratings on most occasions. But with the money in the bank, the actual ratings don’t matter to the AFL. What matters is the game becomes hard to ignore. The casual viewer won’t be able to help but catch the odd five minutes here, or a quarter there. If the game is close and exciting and there’s nothing else interesting on then they might stick with it to the end. That’s all the AFL want, a background hum where people get use to the game being there. And after five years of that constant exposure they hope to find that odd five minutes or quarter has turned into a following. Not rabid, life long supporters. Just a large slice of new casual followers who are happy to sit down and watch a full game every other week.

As I said, the initial ratings would be a disaster for 7 and 10. But don’t assume that means they’ll never do a deal like this again. The biggest pain is going to be inflicted in year one. But by year five, through the constant exposure and the almost inevitable increase in casual followers, there may very well be enough of an audience to make it worthwhile continuing. That is the danger for RL. Nein and the NRL will have plenty of laughs at the AFL, 7 and 10’s expense next year but if it results in enough of a foothold to keep the full court press going in years 6-10 then the contest is going to suddenly become a lot more serious. That’s what the AFL want and if they can manage to drag 7 and 10 along kicking and screaming then it’s unlikely to ever have to backtrack. If RL and its media partner are smart about this they’ll be pushing their product as hard as possible into the AFL’s home territory to even up the balance. What they lose in the north in the long term they need to aim to gain in the south. That means taking the same initial disastrous loses and ridicule that the AFL and its media partners will take. But will that ever happen with Nein by our side? Again, that’s the danger for RL.

Leigh

while channel 31 may be free to air a lot of homes simply do not either have it tuned in or like me watch all their free to air tv through foxtel digital so you cant get it there either.

that doesnt even include pubs/clubs that wont bother with channel 31. IMO foxtel is a much more attractive option for fri/sat and sunday where a much higher % of people than actually have foxtel , have access to it through pubs/clubs.

Quidgybo

Bench
I would discount Channel 31. The AFL have more or less said they wouldn't allow it and they have a right of veto on the matter. FTA in this context essentially means 7, 10, ABC or SBS (and a very slim chance of Nein!). If Foxtel is out of the picture, then one of those four has to show Friday nights live into the northern states. With Ten showing the first Saturday night match live, one of the remaining three (or 4!) has to show the second match on Saturday nights live into the northern states. And finally one of those four (or 5!) has to show the Sunday twilight match live into the northern states. Those three timeslots are the primary problem and it's up to 7 and 10 to solve it.

Leigh.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Quidgybo said:
I would discount Channel 31. The AFL have more or less said they wouldn't allow it and they have a right of veto on the matter. FTA in this context essentially means 7, 10, ABC or SBS (and a very slim chance of Nein!). If Foxtel is out of the picture, then one of those four has to show Friday nights live into the northern states. With Ten showing the first Saturday night match live, one of the remaining three (or 4!) has to show the second match on Saturday nights live into the northern states. And finally one of those four (or 5!) has to show the Sunday twilight match live into the northern states. Those three timeslots are the primary problem and it's up to 7 and 10 to solve it.

Leigh.

In the Fin Review today, unamed executives from Seven/Ten have said:

'They can't veto anything. We bought the rights to eight games a week and we can on-sell up to four games.'

When you have paid $780m, I would agree with them.

Having the games on Ch31 will be a disaster for their crap code, because people in Sydney and Brisbane either can't pick it up, or would never tune in to that station.

LeagueLegend

Juniors
Ziggy the God said:
Having the games on Ch31 will be a disaster for their crap code, because people in Sydney and Brisbane either can't pick it up, or would never tune in to that station.

In that case let them broadcast all their games on Ch31!!!:D :D :D

Quidgybo

Bench
Ziggy the God said:
In the Fin Review today, unamed executives from Seven/Ten have said:

'They can't veto anything. We bought the rights to eight games a week and we can on-sell up to four games.'

When you have paid $780m, I would agree with them.
The dollar amount is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if they paid $2bn or $200 for the rights. What matters is what's in the contract. If the contract says that party A has veto over the onselling of the rights by party B then that's that. And based on the comments of the CEO of the AFL, they seem to believe they have the right to veto it.

Leigh.

aids

Bench
Greedy AFL
remember when a lot of people were sh*tty that nrl sold the rights "cheaply"
i think feasible was the right word.

t-ba

Post Whore
See how it pans out.

What is clear is that it's great for PBL and disastrous for the Consortium. They're going to lose so much money that ch9 won't have to bother with creative scheduling to regain thier top billing but simply buy out succesful stables of shows from thier impoverished opposition.

russ13

First Grade
If the AFL are forced to give Friday night games to Channel 31 they they can say goodbye to having Swans & Lions games played on Friday night for the duration of the contract i.e. the next five years.

I know the Lions have been hanging out for a Friday night game to be televised in prime time on Friday especially those played interstate.

FNF is the most lucrative market & is the market the AFL must grow in the states which have over 55% of Australia's population.

There is no more juice left in the southern states for the AFL one would think.

I don't know much about Sydney's Channel 31 but the Briz 31 channel has improved their signal but it is still unavailable to the vast populations 100kms outside Brisbane. Toowoomba can't get it nor can the lower reaches of the Gold & Sunshine coast. Their signal is not digital & the channel will probably not exist in 10 years.

the AFL held a press conference during the week where they were asked about the prospect of 7 and 10 off loading games to ch31, and basically the afl said that there is NIL chance of it happening and that it will either be on 2,7,10,SBS or foxtel

russ13

First Grade
Collingwood Storm

Read today's Financial Review. The channel 7/10 consortuim say the contract is watertight-the AFL have no say who they give the extra games to.

Surandy

Bench
If 7/10 have to televise all 8 games a week into NSW & Qld then Foxtel will be booming. Can you imagine weekend TV, you'll only be able to watch Ch 2/9/SBS as 7 & 10 will have crap AFL on. Ch9 could screen Mary Poppins and The Sound Of Music and come close to winning the ratings. I say "close to winning" as The Iron Chef would beat those movies!

Grantwhy

Juniors
russ13 said:
Collingwood Storm

Read today's Financial Review. The channel 7/10 consortuim say the contract is watertight-the AFL have no say who they give the extra games to.

The contract is probably also quite watertight on the games being broadcast into NSW & QLD. From what I understand the community stations don't come close to broadcasting statewide.

Yes, 7/10 can quite probably onsell the broadcast rights to whomever they wish, but, at a guess, it would have to be to someone with similar coverage to what they (7 & 10) have.

ABC & SBS have no incentive to take the games and no money to buy them. Nein have everything to gain by not taking them.

7 & 10's best, only (and very slim) hope is that they can convince either Pay TV to take the games or convince people in power to for the ABC or SBS to take the games 7 & 10 don't want.

Quidgybo

Bench
The amusing thing is that 7 and 10 are essentially going to cost themselves tens of millions on a matter of principle. No one is going to pay them $60m for four games or even $45m. The ABC and/or SBS might take the matches for a token sum but they aren't going to pay too many millions for them (at a wild guess maybe $2m maximum). Public Access broadcasters like Channel 31 are going to pay zero and still expect 7 and 10 to provide the actual productions of the games. Nein could make a late swoop but, as well as their PBL masters being the major player in the Foxtel stalemate, they're also in ths same boat as 7 and 10 - ie. not wanting run head to head telecasts or suffer ratings slaughter in the northern states (besides which they couldn't show Friday nights in the northern states anyway). Why on earth wouldn't 7 and 10 just swallow their pride and take the money that's there? $45m and Fox covering its own production costs. Surely it's better than than zero dollars, and the costs to produce four extra telecasts each week, and the ratings damage of head to head telecasts, and the slaughter in the northern states?

Leigh.

jed

First Grade
7 (and to a lesser extent, 10) believe that the additional costs will be offset by the increase in across-the-board advertising rate rises as a result of overall viewer ratings increases.

I think they're full of sh*t, we'll see though