What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

France v Australia match now officially Test status

Razor

Coach
I remember after an RLIF summit a few years ago the board accepted that 4/12 rule was being adopted by int'l footy.

The 4/12 rule wasn't played under in any competition in the world a few years ago

You can buy the international rule book for $39.95 (or could 6 months ago)
The NRL rulebook is available for free on the Net

In-goal

Bench
I'm a fence sitter on this issue as 4/12 has proved that it can be the best for our game imo, i don't like the idea of different rules in tests but am a fan of the 20min water break in extreme weather.

As for field width the ARL has no foot to stand on as i think NZ were well within there right to reduce the field as the ARL have been known to widen them.

yakstorm

First Grade
Where does it say that? Everyone knows int'l rules are played under 4/12 rule now. What's the point of arguing about technicalities? If someone in the RLIF has forgot to update the manual (there's a manual?!) well, I'm not surprised but it doesn't change the fact that Tests and the WC will be played under commonly accepted 4/12 rules.

INTERNATIONAL LAWS 2004:
Section 4 - Pt 2 - Ammendment 3:

In view of the differing climates, locations and conditions in which the game is played each League is permitted to increase the number of interchange from the standard four to five players upon agreement of the two competing nations, and after authorisation from the referee.

As for your statement about a manual, it is quite easy to obtain manuals on a year by year basis from the RFL, ARL, NRL or NZRL. Most coaches and referees recieve them on a year by year basis and you can obtain them from the relevant bodies

I remember after an RLIF summit a few years ago the board accepted that 4/12 rule was being adopted by int'l footy. That's how all official matches are played.

No the rule was never adopted, the ARL/NRL said they would be going to the system and encouraged other nations to adopt the rules, but it never was officially changed in the rule book

screeny

Bench
Yakstorm,

Thanks for finding the article in question. Like I said, whether the incompetent RLIF administrators changed it in black and white is one thing, what the actual rule is on the day is quite something else.

A de jure rule is one thing but the de facto rule since at least 2000 but probably before that, has been 4/12.

In 1999 they used unlimited interchange in the tri series, didn't they? Goodway ballsed it up utterly.

What did they use in Kiwi tour of 1998? In 2000 WC they used 4/6, no?

I have seen the rule book, from the English league (it hasn't an int'l rules section), but I was actually questioning the existence of an RLIF procedures and rules & regs manual. Is there one?

Latest posts