What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frawley out till round 11

taffy

Juniors
i'm with dubby, your pretty much spot on. you have to put in in perspective, frawley is an outside back, how involved can he get... and you have to feel a bit sorry for the kid with his injury run. and as far as what was said about his comparison with weyman... he has played almost the same amount of games in less time!
weyman might go out and say things that make the fans feel warm and fuzzy on the inside but you have to put it on the park, and the 5 minutes he played in a SEMI FINAL against the bulldogs last year was pathetic!

edabomb

First Grade
Frawley has played 23 games over 2 seasons. Considering how often he is injured that illustrates a lot of faith in him. 3 tries he has scored, pathetic return for our highest paid outside back.

I'd like to be a player in your NRL team if a lack of involvement isn't the players fault, I might even last a few weeks.

I don't get why people find it easy to get stuck into the guys on smaller contracts, but when a guy is paid through the roof it becomes the coaches fault that he sucks.

Chachi

Bench
I don't think there's any comparison at all between the committment and energy shown by Weyman and Frawley when on the park, or by the injuries that have kept them out. I'm talking about both First Grade and Premier League here too.

At least Weyman usually gets injured when gang tackled by half a forward pack...Frawley seems to get injured by catching water bottles or walking off the team bus.

Weyman has PROVEN match winning performances for us, Frawley simply hasn't.
And to bash Weyman by using one poor semi final performance in a game where the WHOLE team was sh!thouse is just a bollocks argument IMO...it's like some people that want to drop Logan after an ordinary game against the Eels...but that's a whole other story.

I have defended Frawley in the past - even at the beginning of this season, but it is clear we cannot afford to hold onto such an injury prone player with our lack of quality outside backs in the club.

I don't even know why they have to be compared to be honest.

woodgers

Bench
I agree with both sides. Dubby has a point, he can be a quality player. On the other side it is frustrating for everyone when they find out he is injured again and again.

I say keep him until seasons end and assess it then, why cut him now? If he hasn't shown anything from rounds 11 to whenever, cut him. If he gets a shot in say, round 13, and gives the outside backs some spark that they need then reassess. He is the type of player capable to do that. I'm not sure why we want to jump the gun here, we are paying him anyway.

I also agree with Dubby's assessment of the Weyman situation. It is easy to say Frawley doesn't get involved, but the last few years the backs were only allowed the ball if they were returning a kick!

Jake86

Juniors
What did you guys do to Frawley...he looked great in his debut year with the Broncs.

By all means take tate, but hands off Hodges!

Chachi

Bench
woodgers said:
I agree with both sides. Dubby has a point, he can be a quality player. On the other side it is frustrating for everyone when they find out he is injured again and again.

I say keep him until seasons end and assess it then, why cut him now? If he hasn't shown anything from rounds 11 to whenever, cut him. If he gets a shot in say, round 13, and gives the outside backs some spark that they need then reassess. He is the type of player capable to do that. I'm not sure why we want to jump the gun here, we are paying him anyway.

I also agree with Dubby's assessment of the Weyman situation. It is easy to say Frawley doesn't get involved, but the last few years the backs were only allowed the ball if they were returning a kick!
Yeah, but unfortunately there were many occasions where Frawley was less than enthusiastic to even return kicks.

I agree we may as well hold onto him until the end of the season, but unless things drastically change I'd be reticent about using him in first grade if we can blood another young player instead.

It's a shame because I think he has many other attributes that make him a rep quality footballer.

dubby

Bench
woodgers said:

I agree with your evaluation plan. If he improves and can earn a contract; sign him. Especially if we cant sign anyone better. I am not convinced Brent "centre in a half shell" Tate is the answer. He is just like Frawley IMHO. Both are very quick ball runners but hardly game breakers.

Raider_69

Post Whore
no point cutting him now, we've already paid for him in our cap
:lol: how's his form though, i wouldnt trust him to zip his own trousers without getting injured

i will be happy to see the back of his over paided arse. And Dubby ive never once seen it reported that his contracts have anything to do with incentives, infact as i recall the suggestion was that we started the incentives gig because of the debacle that is Craig Frawley

Difference between Frawley and Weyman is simple,when frawley is fit he has the potential to add something to us, he has the potential to make a difference to our side, but when weyman is on the paddock he DOES makes a different, he DOES adds something to our team... one uses his ability, the other doesnt.

Raider_69

Post Whore
dubby said:
He is just like Frawley IMHO. Both are very quick ball runners but hardly game breakers.

completely agree
except for tate actually plays games of footy, scores tries, defends well and makes rep teams... :oops:

Timbo

Staff member
dubby said:
Frawleys contract was laced with incentives. The figures you lot are assuming are not entirely accurate. It was a similar deal with TLL; earn SOO jersey etc get a bonus.

I am frustrated that you guys love Weyman despite his injury record yet despise Frawley and he has the same rotten luck. I know Horse has been able to overcome them slowly, but Craig should be given the same benefit of the doubt.

Frawley was a star in the making, everyone in QLD could see that. HOwever lady luck deserted him and ruined a promising career.

I agree with everything you say there.

Mal Meninga

Bench
Really disappointed about Frawley. His first game against Newcastle showed plenty of promise but it went pear shaped from there. I don't really have any concerns of him signing for another club, I doubt he'll make much noise considering how often he's injured. So far this season he's had a corked shoulder, fractured foot, and something else. Can never find form if you're not on the park often enough.

Roy Rover

Juniors
He's a miserable bastard who clearly doesn't want to be here.

I will be appalled if we offer him a new contract.

Tate?!? People are kidding if they think we have a hope of him signing for us.
The only way he'd come to Canberra would be to wear a Brumbies jersey.
It's like people getting excited over Lyon this time last year - it just ain't gonna happen.

As for Frawley's $$$ we should sign up Dobson long term ASAP because I can think of at least one club that's cashed up for next year and in need of a replacement halfback.

shear_joy

You never know, another "mystery" package could be sent to Raiders HQ addresses to Frawley ala Bugarelli.

Agree 100% with your post Roy Rover.

See absolutley no chance of Tate coming here. See it more as a ploy by management.
We should just continue to sign promising youngsters.

Surely there's some junior Kangaroo backs we can sign?

dubby

Bench
Raider_69 said:
no point cutting him now, we've already paid for him in our cap
:lol: how's his form though, i wouldnt trust him to zip his own trousers without getting injured

i will be happy to see the back of his over paided arse. And Dubby ive never once seen it reported that his contracts have anything to do with incentives, infact as i recall the suggestion was that we started the incentives gig because of the debacle that is Craig Frawley

Difference between Frawley and Weyman is simple,when frawley is fit he has the potential to add something to us, he has the potential to make a difference to our side, but when weyman is on the paddock he DOES makes a different, he DOES adds something to our team... one uses his ability, the other doesnt.

Next time you bump into DOn Furner; ask him.

As for your next paragraph, man I just think Craig puts his head down too easily now. Its been 3 years of injury and being treated like a leper by Elliot. He certainly has the talent mate, but you'd have to agree that the only back to really stand out for us in the 2003-2006 era was Shif. Elliots gameplan didnt allow our backs to shine. Look at Carney now that Elliot and Smith have gone and Henry is promoting the use of the footy.

I have no hesitation in believing that if Frawls was fit and playing NRL now he would be a different player than the one we've seen in the past. He would actually get the ball for one, and be allowed to pass it for another. Henry's style of play would bring out the best in Frawley IMHO.

No back, not even Graham or Mogg really stood out consistantly during the last 3 years. Mogg really improved I admit but he was largely a player with up and down form.

reptar

Juniors
dubby said:
Next time you bump into DOn Furner; ask him.

As for your next paragraph, man I just think Craig puts his head down too easily now. Its been 3 years of injury and being treated like a leper by Elliot. He certainly has the talent mate, but you'd have to agree that the only back to really stand out for us in the 2003-2006 era was Shif. Elliots gameplan didnt allow our backs to shine. Look at Carney now that Elliot and Smith have gone and Henry is promoting the use of the footy.

I have no hesitation in believing that if Frawls was fit and playing NRL now he would be a different player than the one we've seen in the past. He would actually get the ball for one, and be allowed to pass it for another. Henry's style of play would bring out the best in Frawley IMHO.

No back, not even Graham or Mogg really stood out consistantly during the last 3 years. Mogg really improved I admit but he was largely a player with up and down form.

Yes, you can see the influence Elliott has on back line players. Fox had a very interesting interview with Wesser last night, in which they mentioned several times the structure Elliott imposes on them in training/during the game. Players have very well defined roles, and are not expected to be creative. I had the impression that Wesser wasn't yet sure if he liked this structure or not. (I was also surprised with how eloquent Wesser is (by NRL player standards!))

Chachi

Bench
I think the whole world knows Elliott has absolutely no idea how to coach instinctive players with natural flair and attacking ability. That is why McLinden went from rookie of the year to a disillusioned rabble. IMO his departure is still one of the most unfortunate stories in our short history.

Having said that, I don't think we can blame Elliott for what has happened to Frawls. Yes, it is unlikely he would star in an Elliott gameplan, but the bloke has hardly made it on the field so we'll never really know. If Mogg can make Origin from our side then I think if Frawley was fit enough then the QLD selectors would certainly have considered him. I also have absolutely no doubt Frawley could have been a much better footballer than Mogg based on natural ability.

With the Meninga/Henry connection any Queenslander should consider the Raiders a great club to be at. Firstly you will get plenty of opportunities to play first grade (particularly as an outside back), secondly we are clearly playing a much more dynamic attacking style with a couple of quality young halves (for a change) and thirdly the coaching connection means your performance is going to be recognised at a high level.

This year, if Frawls manages to get fit he has absolutely zero excuses to make a go of it.

dubby

Bench
Agreed 100% Chachi.

BTW, do you watch the Simpsons Chachi? There is a classic reference to your namesake by Homer which cracks me up every time I see it!

Homer: You werent complaining when I got you this close to Chachi!

Bart (to Lisa): Whats a Chachi?

Chachi

Bench
dubby said:
Agreed 100% Chachi.

BTW, do you watch the Simpsons Chachi? There is a classic reference to your namesake by Homer which cracks me up every time I see it!

Homer: You werent complaining when I got you this close to Chachi!

Bart (to Lisa): Whats a Chachi?
Yeah man, love the Simpsons, but I never actually saw that one :lol:

I must admit, Chachi is a pretty ordinary name, but that's why I go with it. I can't even say I grew up watching Happy Days either...not to mention "Charles in Charge" ...quite possibly the worst show ever!