1. We're currently experiencing some severe and unexpected problems with our server. We're working on it, and we thank you for your patience. In the meantime, visit https://leagueunlimited.com for all your news and updates, or check us out on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Out Now: The Front Row rugby league magazine

LeagueUnlimited.com is proud to launch a brand new weekly publication to accompany your footy weekend.

This week, Joshua Wells speaks with injured Canterbury forward Joe Stimson as he works his way toward an NRL return next season, and we have a big double spread of the Rugby League Project's 'Rugby League Scorigami!

EDITION 6 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

French Round Up

Discussion in 'French Rugby League' started by deluded pom?, Nov 30, 2019.

1. deluded pom?

deluded pom? Coach

2. astreizix

astreizix Juniors

deluded pom?, Storm13 and Getmefood like this.
  3. Getmefood

Getmefood Juniors

Tim Simona is a huge signing for Lezignan!! please keep us updated how he goes!

Dakink likes this.
  4. Foreign Legion

Foreign Legion First Grade

5. deluded pom?

deluded pom? Coach

6. astreizix

astreizix Juniors

Some last round highlights:

7. Coastbloke

Coastbloke Bench

So sad to see the empty stands :sleepy:
    If only they could promote the Elite 1 to the point they got 5000-10,000 crowds at regular matches. Sell it to Foxtel. League fans in Oz would love to see a Friday night (ADST even if delayed) game with some biff like the first video..

8. Foreign Legion

Foreign Legion First Grade

Funny that you say that, last week I was on a cruise the Carnival and in the sports bar they showed on a big board the results of the Elite 1 games. I thought that was odd but great. Has anyone seen this before?

9. Coastbloke

Coastbloke Bench

Haven't seen that but good on 'em..

10. Walter sobchak

Walter sobchak First Grade

This. Avignon’s ground is pretty decent and the city of Avignon is fairly big with a population of about 100k yet I don’t think I saw 1 spectator in that video.

11. Walter sobchak

If players like salabio, cozza and dezaria don’t see 1st team action in 2020 for the dragons in super league then we might as well all pack it in and go home.

Quality raw talent that needs the opportunity to thrive at the top.

Coastbloke likes this.
  12. astreizix

astreizix Juniors

Sad to say it, but attendances in Elite 1 and 2 are usually paltry ....

And also camera are often on the stand where people are ....

13. Coastbloke

Coastbloke Bench

It's easy for someone like me to type this on the other side of the world commuting to work thinking anybody could fix this, it's so simple, is there no one in France who can do the job, yada yada.....

But I guess the reality is that there's - what? - 50 million people in France? A G7 economy. Millionaires and Billionaires abound? And no one seems to want to jump onto French rugby league? A sport that has had a pretty glorious history previously in it's history..

Can I then just assume that it's just NOT popular. Are we just kidding ourselves? It really saddens and disappoints me that with all that population and money and technology, that nothing seems able to save French Rugby League :sleepy: Before I go, all I want is a Australia v France RLWC Final with a final siren FG to Australia lol

Dakink and Foreign Legion like this.
  14. deluded pom?

deluded pom? Coach

15. Walter sobchak

Wasn’t Minga being chased by a few super league clubs before he left for union?

Also won’t he be eligible to play for the French National team?

16. Walter sobchak

The only way to attract the French millionaires and billionaires to invest in French RL is with allowing more French teams into super league.

A transatlantic league in which Paris, Lyon, Marseille and Bordeaux etc playing in super league against Toronto, New York and London etc would only be the big draw and way forward.

17. Coastbloke

Coastbloke Bench

I have to say I respectively disagree although I have no answers myself. Look at soccer in Australia. A pretty pathetic NSL keeled over just in time for a billionaire to take over and create the competition as it stands today (albeit with it's own problems)

What I'm looking for is a educated explanation from someone, anyone, as to why in France with a bigger population and a bigger economy with only 2 major sports (4 in Australia) that a sport with such a prestigious history (30s and the 50s and 60s) just cannot get a break. It's just really disheartening...

18. Coastbloke

Coastbloke Bench

Do posters here have a favourite Elite 1 team?
    Obviously I go for Catalan and Toulouse in their respective RFL comps.
    I've always had a soft spot for Villenueuve ever since was it Sironen or Brasher did a stint with them. From memory he was compensated quite well and it got a bit of publicity in Oz. FRL must have been doing OK in the mid to late 80s?

19. Dakink

Dakink Bench

Not in Elite 1, but like the Donkeys in 2.

20. Walter sobchak

Sport has changed dramatically in the last 20-30 years. Nobody wants to follow let alone pay money to watch a lower standard of product these days. It’s all about being associated with the top flight and the cream of the crop.

People in France obviously don’t want to attend elite1 and elite2 games because of the standard of play and caliber of RL players doesn’t appeal to the. This in turn puts of potential investors pumping money into the game be it in the form of sponsorship and private investment from millionaires&billionaires. This also has no appeal to TV companies wanting to televise the games on their networks.

The only way in which RL in France can survive and grow is by joining the U.K. league structure in the form of big/large cities like Paris, Marseille, Lyon and Bordeaux etc.