What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French team for June Test against England....

Coastbloke

Bench
Anybody got any ideas for the Chanticleers for the upcoming June Test...??

I will have to do some homework before I post a team, but thought I'd get the ball rolling...

Anybody wanting to post a Pommy team feel welcome..

Only a couple of months before the Test, I hope there is a increase in discussion for this very very important match as France will be playing in the Four Nations in Oct / Nov...

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
I cant see France really improving on last years result. I hope they do, but i think they will cop a hiding again. Maybe next years mid season test match they will be alot stronger from having regular internationals.

Coastbloke

Bench
Last year was 8-56 in Toulouse, it surely couldn't get worse...??

I know France will probaly be 4th in the 4N, but I hope we don't see massacres..

Maybe between Autralia vs England...lol

Cheezel

Juniors
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12196_5250433,00.html

Bobbie Goulding has included Julien Rinaldi in his initial France squad to take on England in Paris in June.
Goulding has named a 32-man party for the clash in Paris on June 13 with Rinaldi the only player not from a France-based club.
The former Catalans Dragons half-back or hooker was playing reserve-grade football in Australia after being cut by Harlequins at the end of last season, but last week joined the Bulls on a two-month contract.
In total Goulding has selected 14 players from the Dragons, as well as youngsters David Guasch and William Barthau from the Super League's feeder team UTC, and also four from Toulouse who now compete in the Co-operative Championship.
Pia scrum-half Maxime Greseque was the shock omission from the party.

Squad: Guisset, Bosc, Mounis, Casty, K Bentley, Fakir, Ferriol, Vaccari, Stacul, Gossard, Elima, Baile, Duport, Pelo, (all Catalans), Griffi, Anselme, Planas, Villagas (Toulouse), Martins, Calegari (Pia), Teixido, Murcia, Mayans (Limoux), Tisseyre, Fellous (Lezignan), Gagliazzo, Sadaoui, Moly (Carcassonne), Gigot (Avignon), Guasch, Barthau (UTC), Rinaldi (Bradford

druzik

Juniors
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12196_5250433,00.html

Bobbie Goulding has included Julien Rinaldi in his initial France squad to take on England in Paris in June.
Goulding has named a 32-man party for the clash in Paris on June 13 with Rinaldi the only player not from a France-based club.
The former Catalans Dragons half-back or hooker was playing reserve-grade football in Australia after being cut by Harlequins at the end of last season, but last week joined the Bulls on a two-month contract.
In total Goulding has selected 14 players from the Dragons, as well as youngsters David Guasch and William Barthau from the Super League's feeder team UTC, and also four from Toulouse who now compete in the Co-operative Championship.
Pia scrum-half Maxime Greseque was the shock omission from the party.

Squad: Guisset, Bosc, Mounis, Casty, K Bentley, Fakir, Ferriol, Vaccari, Stacul, Gossard, Elima, Baile, Duport, Pelo, (all Catalans), Griffi, Anselme, Planas, Villagas (Toulouse), Martins, Calegari (Pia), Teixido, Murcia, Mayans (Limoux), Tisseyre, Fellous (Lezignan), Gagliazzo, Sadaoui, Moly (Carcassonne), Gigot (Avignon), Guasch, Barthau (UTC), Rinaldi (Bradford

What is nice to see out of that is that there is a large selection of non SL players, it sends the right message that even if your not in the top flight you are in the running.

Also none of the australian! A totally french team! And a fairly young one too from what I see.

Also even if England do put a pasting on them in June, its now exposed more french players to the test footy arena, if they can stick with them for a bit, and let them develop and get combinations working then I dont see why France cant do well in the 4N and future.

An idea may be to get a non SL test side together and have some warm up matches against wales or Scotland or Russia before the 4N to get combos running.

Cheezel

Juniors
What is nice to see out of that is that there is a large selection of non SL players, it sends the right message that even if your not in the top flight you are in the running.

Also none of the australian! A totally french team! And a fairly young one too from what I see.

Also even if England do put a pasting on them in June, its now exposed more french players to the test footy arena, if they can stick with them for a bit, and let them develop and get combinations working then I dont see why France cant do well in the 4N and future.

An idea may be to get a non SL test side together and have some warm up matches against wales or Scotland or Russia before the 4N to get combos running.

Yep, I agree the best thing they can do is start giving players outside Super league exposure to test football. Who knows one or two of them might even land a contract with a Super league club if they make the final 17.

The NRL and Super League clubs really need to do all they can to help the French develop into a competitive test team. A competitive French team will lift the profile of international rugby league and mean more TV $$$ for future Four Nations and World Cups.

My only hope is that Bobby G can come up with a game plan that will help the French slow the game down to their pace. Fitness wise they will struggle but if they can slow the game down they might be a chance of keeping the scoreline respectable ;-) Even if it means they kick for the side line every few sets to give the team a breather. They really need to bring a different strategy to this test match.

jim_57

Staff member

I'll be the one to kick it off like a dead leppah's head.

1. C Villagas
2. C Stacul
3. JP Baile
4. S Planas
5. D Pelo
6. T Bosc
7. J Rinaldi
8. J Guisset
9. K Bentley
10. D Ferriol
11. E Anselme
12. C Gossard
13. G Mounis

14. R Casty
15. M Griffi
16. J Fakir
17. V Duport

Greseque is a shock admission, although it's good to see some young players in there even if it's simply for encouragement. Looking forward to seeing Barthau work his way into the team in coming years.

jim_57

Staff member
I'll be the one to kick it off like a dead leppah's head.

1. C Villagas
2. C Stacul
3. JP Baile
4. S Planas
5. D Pelo
6. T Bosc
7. J Rinaldi
8. J Guisset
9. K Bentley
10. D Ferriol
11. E Anselme
12. C Gossard
13. G Mounis

14. R Casty
15. M Griffi
16. J Fakir
17. V Duport

Greseque is a shock admission, although it's good to see some young players in there even if it's simply for encouragement. Looking forward to seeing Barthau work his way into the team in coming years.

I believe I would be correct in saying that is a side of 17 full time players.

Okay, I'll go:

1 Villegas
2 Pelo
3 Duport
4 Planas
5 Stacul
6 Bosc
7 Moly
8 Guisset
9 Rinaldi
10 Elima
11 Anselme
12 Fakir
13 Mounis
14 Baile
15 Gossard
16 Casty
17 Ferriol

I tend to think it might be Bosc>6 and Moly>7 because Moly has been playing 7 all season and has been one of the better players in the LER as far as I can tell. All of the other halves in the squad have never played a Test before so picking any of them at half or five eighth ahead of Moly is going to be a big call.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Wow what a suprise there are no Aussies, i guess Goulding was not kidding when he said he will bring some pride back...

druzik

Juniors
Wow what a suprise there are no Aussies, i guess Goulding was not kidding when he said he will bring some pride back...

Expect some biff as well... goulding never shied away from that IIRC so I am sure he'll be happy if the boys give a bit of stick.

bender

Juniors
First step to credibility...

ACtually, you are well off the mark there. The French team has always been credible. It is only their on field performance which sometimes effects their credibility.

Incidentally, what is often forgotten about the French is that no matter how bad they get (and they have been dreadful over the years) they are always capable of pulling the odd upset (or one or two point game) against the Kiwis, Aussies and English. Probably due to a combination of them playing to their potential and their opponents underestimating them and getting lazy. I think they are due to make a close game of it sooner rather than later. When added to the likely advances that Catalans and Toulouse should have given the game, i wouldnt be to surprised to see an upset.