What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

From Cutters to Dragons Squad

j0nesy

Bench
I like Dodd too, but who do you replace out of Milne and Aitken? Wakeman, Hutch and Nona all deserve a go. Sironen has potential but has too many mistakes at present. Coster seems to go ok, but I haven't watched him enough, same with Lewis.

Pjsaint

Juniors
hey pj go root your boot it's a forum you idiot and I'm entitled to my opinion and as a paid up member if you don't like that opinion too bad don't get your tampon in a twist I hope you get a wooden leg and get caught in a Forrest fire it's morons like you that give cause to the pro abortion movement!have a nice day!:blush:
It's obvious that you can give criticism but can't take it I sorry that morons like you exist. I doubt that you would know what a nice day is :beers:

It's obvious that you can give criticism but can't take it I sorry that morons like you exist. I doubt that you would know what a nice day is :beers:
i can cop criticism just thought yours was an over reaction but I've got better things to than get into with you! Muppet!

Old Timer

Coach
I'd take Coote Thurston and taumololo oh sorry thought you meant cowboys! There's bugger all in the cutters worth taking that's why theyre in the cutters we should be looking at first grade players not reserve grade players but the way this rabble is travelling we'll cease to exist anyway.
The Cutters beat all before them and in the interstate match very convincingly so the players can do no more than that.
Many of them should have already been playing some NRL but have been blocked by the stupidity of our coaching and selection staff.
You say we should be looking at 1st graders and to a degree that is true but if they won't come for various reasons (plainly obvious as we cannot land a big signing) then you have to look at alternatives.
To that end we have brought plenty of established second graders from other teams as well as those that could not hold down a 1st grade position on regular basis at other teams so rather than buying them we would be better off to use those within our own ranks who just happen to be the premiers of their division.
Our cupboard is not bare we just never look in it.

The Cutters beat all before them and in the interstate match very convincingly so the players can do no more than that.
Many of them should have already been playing some NRL but have been blocked by the stupidity of our coaching and selection staff.
You say we should be looking at 1st graders and to a degree that is true but if they won't come for various reasons (plainly obvious as we cannot land a big signing) then you have to look at alternatives.
To that end we have brought plenty of established second graders from other teams as well as those that could not hold down a 1st grade position on regular basis at other teams so rather than buying them we would be better off to use those within our own ranks who just happen to be the premiers of their division.
Our cupboard is not bare we just never look in it.[/QUOTE Thanks for the intelligent response old timer fair points and I agree on some but apart from a little light hearted humour which a few clearly missed my point is we need to continually strive for marquee talent as Mary has clearly indicated along with doust that they are unwilling to go there hence why guys like Nona Dufty et al never got a look in and winning nsw cup won't do much to enhance their prospects under the current regime but thanks again for a reasonable response it's how the forum should work have a good day!

Dragonslayer

First Grade
upload_2016-10-25_11-41-56.png

Dodd's stats for the Cutters this season.
Top try scorer -16
Run metres - 9.3 per run
Goals - 20
But most impressive for me is:
Tackle busts - 116 (that's 5 per game)

Yeah I'd give him a go in 1st grade just on those stats alone. Yes, it's a step up but hey, could prove to be very handy as a back-up winger/centre.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Normally, this news would be met with great ovation and a well done to the recruitment boys for identifying their talents.

Unfortunately, with the latest blundering and bad news releases, it serves only as a mere pin prick of sunshine in our dark times (co-incidence this released a day after JD announces his departure).

In any case congratulations to Shaun, Levi, Jacob and Chris on their promotions. I hope you guys do get your chance to fulfill your dreams of playing in the top flight.

Mr Red

First Grade
View attachment 10155

Dodd's stats for the Cutters this season.
Top try scorer -16
Run metres - 9.3 per run
Goals - 20
But most impressive for me is:
Tackle busts - 116 (that's 5 per game)

Yeah I'd give him a go in 1st grade just on those stats alone. Yes, it's a step up but hey, could prove to be very handy as a back-up winger/centre.

I would say more tackle busts than entire first grade pack combined....

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons Sign Cutters Quartet
Fri 28th October, 12:00PM
A A

The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced the signing of four members from the 2016 NRL State Championship and NSW Cup Premiership-winning Illawarra Cutters squad.

Cutters quartet Levi Dodd, Jacob Hind, Chris Lewis and Shaun Nona have all respectively agreed to one-year contracts that will see each join the Club until at least the end of the 2017 season.

Dodd is a local Hurstville United junior who can play in the centres or on the wing and was the recipient of the Cutters Coaches Award at the recently held Presentation Awards Night.

Nona can play as either five-eighth or halfback and was named in the NSW Cup Residents representative fixture earlier this season.

Additionally, Hind is a prop-forward who has been in the Cutters system for the past three seasons whilst Lewis can play in the second-row and is a former graduate of the Dragons National Youth Competition team squad.

“We are very pleased to announce the signing of these four members of the highly successful Illawarra Cutters squad who had an exceptional season in 2016,” said Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward.

“The Cutters is an integral part of our overall development system, players are aware there is a pathway to NRL and Levi, Chris, Shaun and Jacob have all been rewarded for their hard work and performances in 2016.

"They all have a great attitude and work ethic and we believe that they will really benefit from the opportunity to train full-time and will add to the competition for spots amongst our squad in 2017."

All four players will commence training with the Dragons pre-season train-on squad in November.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/10/28/dragons_sign_cutters.html

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Excellent news that we signed Dodd, Hind, Nona and Lewis. Lewis is the dynamic second rower we need, and Dodd has remarkable strength and athleticism.

Now, if Mary uses a brain cell, we could have a good 2017. But if only we held onto Jason Demetriou.

But finally, a few good signings besides McInnes and Macdonald.

Bench
Most of the signings are for one year only, I think a dragons retention committee made up of the three coaches sit down at look at every player in the ranks, determine the juniors who show the potential to be around in 5 or 6 years and start building a team around these players based on external recruitment and bribing others juniors through the system, this would be at least a four year plan and would require management to get on board and turn the financial side of the club and push for all homes except marquee games to be played at win or kogarah, that's where our fan base lives,, Bring the game back to our grass roots