What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front row interchange rotation

Dazzat

First Grade
The Canberra game on Saturday night once again illustrated a weakness in the Broncos game I've noticed for a few weeks now. They start with the big guns - Webke and Civoncevia - but when they both come off together (at about the same time) things start to look shaky.

Nothing against Parker or Carlaw, but they don't have the same presence or impact as those two. And other teams certainly get more opportunities when the big guns are off. During the Canberra game, Webke, Civi and Carroll were all off together and Canberra started to get a roll-on.

Should Bennett start with Webke and Parker (for example), and bring Carlaw and Civoncevia off the bench, so that at least one of the big guns are on at the one time? Or is it best to throw the big guns in for the first 20 minutes to 'soften-up' the opposition?

Big Pete

Referee
I say we should have both of them start the game. However take Civoniceiva/Webcke off early and put Parker in and then bring Webcke/Civoniceiva back later in the half in place of the other starting prop.

Big Pete

Referee
Thaiday for Carlaw would be a good idea, however we still need experience out there in the shape of Wecbke or Civoniceiva.

broncoman

Juniors
yeh Thaiday makes a big impact when he comes on, the first time when we played the raiders and webcke went off big Sam really stood up, carlaw is no longer worthy of a spot in this team. hes proved time and time again hes not even a shadow of the player he was 3/4 years ago...

gcbronco

Juniors
Carlaw is in a comfort zone and has been for close to 2 seasons IMHO and it could well take him leaving the club and being forced to perform at his new club to do so. Thaiday had an off game on saturday but thats forgiveable and I believe should be in the side well ahead of Carlaw, his been very good for us this season and a future starter in the forwards IMHO.

damo72

Juniors
For a man of Carlaws size, he very rarely lives up to what is expected, a few years back he showed what he was capable of and since then he has been picked on reputation. He doesn't deserve a spot ahead of the likes of Thaiday, Learoyd-Lars or Kenny, it might be time for Wayne and co to let Carlaw go and I doubt whether we will hear of him again.

Carlaw is going the way of Meyers - good start to his career but has fallen away badly. I think he needs to spend some time in the QLD cup to try and regain some confidence.

Parker, Thaiday and Costigan deserve spots on the bench before him at the moment.

salivor

First Grade
I mentioned it after the Bulldogs game when we blew that 10 point lead in the first half after they left the field and then let in more points in the second half while they were off. Same thing had happened the week before against the Storm and then happened this week against the Raiders.

The answer for me is to start Civoniceva off the bench with Parker lining up alongside Webcke at the start. Thorn has lifted his game in recent times to provide enough presence on the field in the early stages with Webcke to make sure we keep getting away to great starts.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
I said right at the beginning of the year that Webcke, Petero and Thorn shouldn't all start. Otherwise they would all look to come off at roughly the same time, and we would lose a huge amount of go-forward. My solution then was to have Thorn on the bench, and rotate them so we have two of them on the field almost all the time.

For the majority of the season I was gladly proven wrong, but it does seem to be happening now. But I no longer think that that is the right option. The reason we lost so much control when the big guns were off was not just that they were on the bench, but also the players that we replaced them with. Our bench against Canberra was Parker, Carlaw, Smith and Barnes. In other words, only one real front-rower. Having a player of Parker's quality coming off the bench is a fantastic luxury, but he can't do the work of the departing forwards by himself.

Lose one of Carlaw or Smith and bring in Thaiday; or perhaps both and also include Costigan. That should fix our problem.

i cant stand carlaw, he does nothing! please bring back thailday or even nick kenny, at least kenny looks like he wants to be out there unlike carlaw. i dont think parker is reallty doing much wrong, i think its just that webcke is going so well that when he comes off the team drops off a bit, webcke has been our best player for sure. it wouldnt also hurt to bring in tate as the permanent winger over minto and dont drop bott, as if bott isnt 10000000 times better then circus act minto

chileman

Coach
Dazzat said:
The Canberra game on Saturday night once again illustrated a weakness in the Broncos game I've noticed for a few weeks now. They start with the big guns - Webke and Civoncevia - but when they both come off together (at about the same time) things start to look shaky.

Nothing against Parker or Carlaw, but they don't have the same presence or impact as those two. And other teams certainly get more opportunities when the big guns are off. During the Canberra game, Webke, Civi and Carroll were all off together and Canberra started to get a roll-on.

Should Bennett start with Webke and Parker (for example), and bring Carlaw and Civoncevia off the bench, so that at least one of the big guns are on at the one time? Or is it best to throw the big guns in for the first 20 minutes to 'soften-up' the opposition?
Thanks for the heads up amigo, I'll let Dessie know your weakness :p

Striker

Juniors
It is a tough problem to nut out.. and i feel bennett would have pondered over this very issue many a night this season. I like starting pack of
8. webke 9 mcguire 10 civoniciva 11 stagg 12 carlaw 13 carroll
bench
14 thorn 15 parker 16 thaiday 17 barnes
that leaves us with the ability to bring on thorn parker and thaiday for webke petro and carlaw

dane needs as much nrl time as possible imo to get him back to his old form

but i think wayne will start with
webke mcguire civoniciva thorn stagg carroll
bench
carlaw parker smith barnes

Latest posts