What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frustrated Tupou is looking forward to making amends (back this arvo)

Inferno

Coach
JUST a week after Ricky Stuart took aim at former players who had let down Cronulla this season, star recruit Anthony Tupou has admitted to feeling guilty about the Sharks' season from hell.

Set to make his much-anticipated return against Wests Tigers this afternoon after a three-week lay-off with a hamstring tear, the former Blues and Kangaroos representative said he felt as though he'd failed his teammates and hadn't realised his potential.

''It's been so frustrating this year. Whether I've been on the field or not, it's even been hard to watch,'' said Tupou, who joined the Sharks this year on a four-year deal believed to be worth $1.5 million.

''I've almost felt guilty at times, especially when I've been injured. I've felt guilty that I'm not out there helping the boys. Even though I know I can't do much about it, it just gets frustrating.''

The likeable 25-year-old said he expected more from himself after switching from the Roosters, with statistics showing he's made just 11 tackle breaks this season compared with a whopping 65 last year.

And he won't forgive himself until he makes it right.

''It's definitely up there as the toughest year of my career. Not just for the club but personally,'' said Tupou, who was overlooked for Blues and Kangaroos selection this year despite representing both teams for the past two seasons.

''This year just hasn't worked out the way I'd planned. But I'm probably mostly to blame for that. You've got to be consistent and have form on the board to make those teams. I can't blame anyone else for that.

''And I haven't been happy with my form this year, so I want to have a big one over the next few weeks to prove my worth. Make it up to the boys a bit.

''I don't blame injuries and I don't want to toss up any excuses. I've been trying the same but things just haven't worked out. I don't think I've been playing badly, just not as good as I expect from myself. I've found it hard to stand out.

''I just feel I could have maybe done more. I want to get back to playing that type of footy to help the Sharks out of this hole.''
Link

I think he's being a little harsh on himself to be honest, I honestly think when he could get on the paddock he's been our best player this year.

Latest posts