What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fullback for 2007???

Who do you want as fullback in 2007?

• Total voters

thickos

First Grade
OK guys and gals, who's your pick? Maybe it'll be a bolter like Graham at the back?

This is my take on them.

Mashall Chalk:

PROS:
* Has filled in admirably as FB in the past
* Strong hard runner, solid defensively
* FG experience

CONS:
* IMO not good with his hands and fielding kicks
* Club seems to think he's a backrower

William Zillman:

PROS:
* Explosive ball runner. Jack in the box player who can chime in from the back. Fast.
* Offers new dimension in our attack.

CONS:
* Small. Untested at the back in FG.
* Doubts over ability under the high ball.

Bronx Goodwin:

PROS:
* Seems like a more natural fullback than the other two.
* Developing nicely in PL, scoring lots of tries.

CONS:
* Untried. Yet to debut.

skeepe

Immortal
I've gone for Bronx, purely because of his natural ability at the back, however I'd also like to see Zilly there. Then again, I'd also like to see Zilly anywhere in the side.

I'm fairly certain, based on comments that I have read so far, that Zilly WILL be our fullback next year, if only because his natural talent demands that a place for him be found somewhere. We also have Carney and Dobson to fit in somewhere, with Herbert in PL. We won't be able to keep them all.

hrundi99

First Grade
I haven't seen enough of Goodwin or Zillman to make an informed decision...

McLinden was decent as an attacking fullback whenever he played there, and if Zillman is a similar style of player, does he have the hands?

thickos

First Grade
As much as the club thinks Chalk is a backrower, we already have a bunch of great forwards who play there every week.

Zillman is too small. I'll go for Chalk, with Wil-Zil of the bench. He'll be a sensation wherever he plays anyway.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Like Thickos said, Bronx seems more like a natural fullback than the others and I'd like to see him in there straight away (meaning Round 1 next year). I really want to see Zillman in FG but it's yet to be seen weather fullback is his position. It's possible he's more suited to the halves or even a utility role such as Craig Wing.

julian87

Juniors
Yeah I'd go for Graham to begin with.

And Zillman isnt untested at fullback. He played there for 80 mins when Newcastle scored 70 against us.....saying anything to anyone?

Paullyboy

Coach
I dont know if Id trust Zilly at the back yet, but then again you dont gain anything if you dont try things.

Id still rather see the Chalk at the back though, I just love the way he returns kicks - Id freaking hate having to tackle him when he is charging back at full pelt.

Jono078

Referee
julian87 said:
Yeah I'd go for Graham to begin with.

And Zillman isnt untested at fullback. He played there for 80 mins when Newcastle scored 70 against us.....saying anything to anyone?

Not the best game to judge him on, but he did score 2 trys and had a few nice touches..

Probably was one of their best in a poor peformance, so that should also say something..

Chachi

Bench
Too early to tell. Zillman has a great ability to read the game and would be dynamite at fullback. Defensively he will only improve and from all I've seen he's fine under the high ball IMO.

It really depends on who we go with in the halves to partner Carney. If Dobbo is ready (I don't watch ESL so I can't tell), then Zilly is my pick for fullback. If Dobbo isn't up to it, then Zilly at 6 and Carney at 7 with maybe Goodwin at the back (I like Chalk on the bench, but am also more than happy for him to start if required).

Maybe we'll pick up Scott Hill out of the blue and that will change everything - and yes, it ultimately depends on whether Goodwin is re-signed!

aussies1st

Staff member
All depends what happens in the off season with Zillman. If he bulks up and improves his tackling he could play there.
Chalk would be worth a try as hes played a few season at fullback in PL so surely he must have learnt something.

hotdogs

Juniors
BIG BAD NEWS:
Bronx Goodwin has signed with PENRITH!!!! following elliott!!!
Well just goes to show a lot of players do value elliott and must enjoy him in some way!!!

Bay56

First Grade
A good way to find out is to try each one of them for a couple games in the next 8 weeks :whistle

I'd give Chalky first pop, followed by Bronx Goodwin.

Zilly should be No. 6 or 7

Poida_Raider

Bench
i'll go with adam mogg for fullback, should he stay

dont know why really. cause he's in fine form, and would be great, if not greater with more room.

Latest posts