What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fullback

newman

First Grade
Newman - I have not once called for Wright to be dropped.
I actually praised the guy when he played at fullback after Gards got injured.
Wright has been very solid.

Stappo will be good once he gets his confidence back. He's better than Mills and J.Williams IMHO.

I know you didn't call for his head but thats the implication from many posters because he doesn't score shit loads of tries or ball plays like slater.

I disagree on the Stapler, he is busted. His speed is gone and it ain't coming back and he doesn't have anything else to offer that covers that loss. Where else could you play him other than wing? He isn't the top winger at the club in ANY department. A shame, but it's true.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Nathan Stapletons ability in attack makes Matthew Wright look like Benji Marshall. He is slow, uncreative and has no leg speed/drive or supporting nous.

Has anyone ever thought why Wright is in the team? There is no doubt he isn't the best player of all time, defensive or attacking, but he is an enthusiastic team player who lives for the club and has one hell of a footy brain and a decent skill set. Ever notice who is first in with high fives when we score a try or with a word of encouragement when there is a c**k up? He's ALL hand claps and back slaps. He played his junior footy at 5/8. Was shunted from half to centre to winger to full back in the road to first grade in some pretty damn average teams. Never complained, always did the extra work to learn the nuances of a new position and did it all at a hundred miles an hour. Notice how he's always first to put his hand up for that shit hit up when we are bringing it off our line? He's a f**ken million times a better player than Ike, Mills and Stapleton and I reckon he is a better full back than Gardner. But yeah, he hasn't scored 12 tries this season so drop him!

All I'm saying is that he has the WRIGHT STUFF.

^^All of this and particularly the bold bit.

Too many posters here are only in it for the bells and whistles and have no ability to see past the flash and giggles.

webShark

Nathan Stapletons ability in attack makes Matthew Wright look like Benji Marshall. He is slow, uncreative and has no leg speed/drive or supporting nous.

Has anyone ever thought why Wright is in the team? There is no doubt he isn't the best player of all time, defensive or attacking, but he is an enthusiastic team player who lives for the club and has one hell of a footy brain and a decent skill set. Ever notice who is first in with high fives when we score a try or with a word of encouragement when there is a c**k up? He's ALL hand claps and back slaps. He played his junior footy at 5/8. Was shunted from half to centre to winger to full back in the road to first grade in some pretty damn average teams. Never complained, always did the extra work to learn the nuances of a new position and did it all at a hundred miles an hour. Notice how he's always first to put his hand up for that shit hit up when we are bringing it off our line? He's a f**ken million times a better player than Ike, Mills and Stapleton and I reckon he is a better full back than Gardner. But yeah, he hasn't scored 12 tries this season so drop him!

All I'm saying is that he has the WRIGHT STUFF.

Don't agree but great post. I do agree about your thoughts on Stapo. His LARS surgery slowed him even more.

Wright is our best FB option but that is a worry. The FB and wingers should be contributing something in attack.

Since 73

First Grade
Strange days indeed mama...

if someone said to us at the beginning of the year 'You guys will be top 4 mid June on the back of your 7's running game' - every one of us woulda thought TC.

i been saying it each week - Robson - it ain't a fluke, he has a part of his game noone was aware of - and it gets us over the stripe consistently.

He needs to run the ball and run it often. Townsend needs to be developed. Not for now, but for September depth and 2013.

Wright..? You don't play final 4 footy with a mostly reliable fullback.
You win with a Slater or darius.

Carney to 1. He just does what he does and makes the extra link in the opposing quarter.

I didn't agree 6 weeks ago, but Robson has allowed it to happen and Chad has to be in the 13.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
I've got a theory that Stapo's not a mud runner. Have seen him have a few ordinary games in the wet. Stick with him....only his third game this season.

GreatWhiteShark

Juniors
Stapleton was poor tonight. Will be interesting when Gards gets back. We need his attacking spark in the team. If he gets back to top fitness it'll be him, Gordon and Wright/Stapo/Williams/Mills/other Gordon (still a possibility).
For all his much-publicized demons and off-field dramas, love the on-field work of I Gordon. Seems like he's got a point to prove. A real whole-hearted player.

Miller Lite

Juniors
How much better would this team be with a fullback that can attack!

The 60 odd minutes wright played fullback tonight he got involved in a backline movement twice (on first watch). No backing up around the ruck, no passing, no threat. We are playing a man down in attack basically. What chance of a Gordon early release?

Been saying this for weeks. Catches a bomb, plays the ball and disappears...

Gordon is apparently a month away from playing again. As it all needs to be sorted by the end of June, I can't see us bringing him over early.

Ads

First Grade
I just hope the club is going all out for Gordon to come across this year.

Newman its all well and good Wright is good at high fives but that doesn't make him a good fullback. He is slower than a prop and offers zero in our attack. If a fullback is not scoring tried you want them to at least be setting some up every now and then or even getting involved in our attack but wright does neither. We're atacking the opposition 20 with 12 players basically and from a guy who played 5/8 you have to expect more.

Last edited:

Ads

First Grade
I never mentioned his defensive game.

Originally Posted by spider:
In those conditions tonight and the almost perfect kicking game from the warriors, I thought he had a good game.

I consider kick returns as part of a fullbacks defensive game.

carving a bloke up here a few weeks back from major knee surgery

he's still gaining match fitness and confidence for that matter, hard to do that in wet weather footy

I remember when he burst on to the scene at fullback and everyone was jumping up an down about how good he was

I like Stapo, obviously many on here don't, that's cool, just be fair on the assessment of the poor kid, it's hard coming back from major injuries and people pushing the GO button on expectations when returning

newman

First Grade
carving a bloke up here a few weeks back from major knee surgery

he's still gaining match fitness and confidence for that matter, hard to do that in wet weather footy

I remember when he burst on to the scene at fullback and everyone was jumping up an down about how good he was

I like Stapo, obviously many on here don't, that's cool, just be fair on the assessment of the poor kid, it's hard coming back from major injuries and people pushing the GO button on expectations when returning

He's a different player after that surgery. It's a shame, but it's true.

newman

First Grade
Been saying this for weeks. Catches a bomb, plays the ball and disappears...

Gordon is apparently a month away from playing again. As it all needs to be sorted by the end of June, I can't see us bringing him over early.

How do you know he isn't being coached to leave the ball playing to Jeff, Todd and Wade?