What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fullback

this is somthing that i have benn thinking about for ages with odavis comming to his last season we should be thinking of the replacment and if he is injuered next season. we have usally put hughes there but i think we need some one new like young or kidleyor somene else out of premier league. But with this they must play there if robio is out for a game or so what i mean is hughes is usally there if robbio is gorn so if he gets injured whoever we want there must play fullback what are your thoughts

Alex28

Coach
If we get Dorn and Witt, i think Kidley has to be the obvious choice to go back there at this stage.

But given the number of injuries we usually have at the club it has to be a "wait and see" thing...

Doctor

Bench
Let us just say that the fullback position is the least of our worries. O'Davis is there for however long he is fit and willing - he is afterall still at Origin standard.

If and when O'Davis is injured and/or retires, you have Kurt Gidley who might play there depending on Hagan's thinking regarding new players at 5/8 (Witt, Dorn, Ennis etc).

Then you have the option of Hughes - although I question how long he will remain a First-Grade regular if others continue to pressure for positions. He is safe, but compared to others may be deemed no longer and automatic backline selection.

Then you have Michael Young - who is my book will have to get there eventually. He is the current P.L fullback, has some speed and agility and is sensible when under pressure - he is also only 19 so there is time for him to bulk up a bit and get some experience.

You've got Ennis, Witt and Dorn all still in the system somewhere, and a re-shuffle of the backline to pop any combination of people in various positions is possible. It all depends on Hagan's thinking.

My theory of the past 18 months or more has been:
O'Davis until he retires, then Michael Young for the future - I won't change from that, but perhaps there will be a phasing-in period depending on whether Hagan wants Young going straight to fullback on debut, or perhaps give him some experience in various positions from the bench.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
O'davis is the #1 choice. His form dropped off at the end of the year, but as I've said, I believe alot of this was due to his terrible face injury. He'll have his confidence back by next year. Even without the o'davis flare, he was still safe. Under the bomb, there are no better.

Young is the next regular knights fullback IMO. There is always hughes and Kidley as fill ins though.

Fullback IMO isn't a problem.

If Young is a fullback, why does he stand on the wing for 75% of a game? Could it be because he struggle under the high ball? Yes. To field grubbers? Yes. He only ever stands in a genuine fullback spot to field clearing kicks. Only 4 trys last season too.

Just because he's got number 1 on his back it doesn't make him a competant fullback. We don't need another fullback afraid to pick up the ball.

gopanthers

Juniors
Does anyone know if the Knights are resigning Jared Taylor for next year? Haven't heard anything so I guess not. He didn't seem to have that great a year this year.

Alex28 said:
If we get Dorn and Witt, i think Kidley has to be the obvious choice to go back there at this stage.

But given the number of injuries we usually have at the club it has to be a "wait and see" thing...

Shock, horror... Dorn, Witt !!!

You mean you guys will be "Poaching" players???

roopy

Referee
Catatonic_Omnivore said:
Alex28 said:

Yes, we will be poaching Maitland boy Dorn, Witt who is a godson of Robbie O, Henderson from Souths who is a Central Coast boy, and also Richarson and Fitzgerald who have both moved to Newcastle for business and are looking for a start in the team. Everyone is either a Newcastle person by birth, relationship or has chosen to live in our city. All of them are signing for minimal wages and chose to make the move themselves. No one was lured with a fistful of dollars.

Doctor

Bench

Refer to what roopy said.

As for the continual notion that you cannot handle - the Roosters buying premierships - Newcastle's problem is the opposite of the Roosters.
We have too many good players to fit under the cap and have to shed quality players because they can't all fit in first grade.

You even bought Holbrook a few years ago - he was an ordinary halfback who played only a few games for us but managed the Number 7 jersey quite a few times in the Roosters' camp. Then he left, quite understandably.

Another problem is that we have to replace players poached from us. Your Roosters bought a junior or two off us this year. Getting us back for buying MacDougall?

Booziesgal

Juniors
i think hughes for fullback and not just cause i like him but he is a good player at fullback he is very safe with the high ball yes there are the young guys but need more experience i think anyway
that just wat i think

Catatonic_Omnivore said:
Alex28 said:

You flip- the Goosters have Dorn- care to repeat your original post about "Poaching?????"
176 dats till 2004 :shock:

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Danish Moo Cow said:
Another problem is that we have to replace players poached from us. Your Roosters bought a junior or two off us this year. Getting us back for buying MacDougall?

Didn't we have macdougall in 1994. Then the roosters poached him and got him for 95, 96. Then we bought him back in 1997.

Latest posts