What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fundamentals?

Frederick

Staff member
All off-season, we heard about how Wayne's been forcing the fundamental basics of the game down the players throats.

I have seen very little proof in the first three rounds of these so called fundamentals. As a team we're as slow around the ruck and disjointed in attack as ever!

WHAT THE f**k IS GOING ON???

Jono078

Referee
We're playing simple in attack. It's not too dissimilar to how the Dragons looked early when Wayne joined them.

Handling errors are killing us and we have looked off the pace compared to other teams we've played. The Dragons, Sharks and Broncos have all looked and played quicker than us.

Just have to believe things will turn around soon.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Some of our foawards need to remember they are not 5/8s but aside from that we are much improved from last year imo

Apey

Staff member
Our line speed/defence in the middle was poor tonight. Actually, I'd say it's been poor each week. Forwards are dropping off tackles all the time, allowing way too many linebreaks.

Still, it's only Round 3.

Dave_

Juniors
That was disgraceful. Any other team would have rolled the groncos easy cause they were shit too.

How can we play this crap with the players we have? Somethings definately not right here, our forwards all need a pineapple up their coights for this one, EXCEPT snowden who was probably the only positive to take from this most dismal of performances.

Im ready to punt cuthbertson, fa'aoso and costigan and give a few young blokes a go because theyre all fundamentally f#cked at the moment.

Im p#ssed off!

Alex28

Coach
First time we've been soundly beaten this year, with a team of which a third of them were injured in the first half and we're ready to punt half of them and carry on about fundamentals?

Overreaction...this happens every time we lose a game. Why don't we give them a chance to find their groove before we go spastic about the performance. Throwing a bunch of cash at the team isn't going to make a perfect team straight up.

I think we expect too much too soon...

macavity

Referee
We were disgraceful Alex. Overreaction maybe, but that was painful. There is "being out of your groove" and then there is "being a disgrace". They were mighty close to the second out there tonight.

RABK

Referee
Dave - Costigan was awful? Hardly. He defended great in the middle cutting the big Bronco forwards in half numerous time and stopping them getting a roll on. Playing injured as well.

If you thought Costigan was awful than Joel Edwards was Greg Smith.

Alex28

Coach
It wasn't great, but when our only half and our star try scorer were passengers for about 70 minutes of the game we were pretty much screwed from that point.

We were stuffed from that point.

rabble

Juniors
Nice to see we were able to pull off a successfull 2nd man play. patients , patience , pashence. Oh f**k it, i can't spell that. We're getting smashed up the middle last week and earlier in tonights game.
Sorry, Cuthbo's not a starter.

The Red Afro

Juniors
Thought the same thing - Where's all that off-season work and basic training? The simple things?

The players spend an entire off-season doing mundane basic shit so it becomes muscle memory, and there's nothing to show for it.

What's worse is that this very well shouldve happened last week - If it wasnt for Cronulla shooting themselves in the foot 3-4 times on the final pass/play, we wouldve been blown out of the park.

So what on earth did we spend the week doing? Looking at video of the Sharks tearing our defensive line to shreds and thinking it looked like fun so we'd do it again?

Gah. I need a drink.

aqua_duck

Coach
We just have no respect for the ball, 2 forward passes from dummy half tonight says it all. Kicking game was poor and handling was abysmal. Agreed that Cuthbo is not a starter and our bench lacks size. I think Sims needs to come in, he's too good for NYC, I also wouldn't mind seeing Evarn starting, he's a decent fundamentals man if nothing else

trr061984

Juniors
Respect the ball! And the forwards need to quickly learn that they are not half backs. Go forward would suffice for now.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I think that Bennett has already basically outlined that he doesn't rate this squad and your boys are playing accordingly.

Least enthusiastic Bennett coached side I've ever seen. Even when we were on a slide after Origin last year, we never threw in.

Coach has his work cut out for him in changing the culture up there. Thats whats woeful. Your players are used to having a saloon passage to do as they please.

Noname36

First Grade
I think that Bennett has already basically outlined that he doesn't rate this squad and your boys are playing accordingly.

Least enthusiastic Bennett coached side I've ever seen. Even when we were on a slide after Origin last year, we never threw in.

Coach has his work cut out for him in changing the culture up there. Thats whats woeful. Your players are used to having a saloon passage to do as they please.

We were awful, but certainly not for the reasons you just outlined. The boys never threw in. In a similar game last year there were a few periods (especially after all the players stared picking up injuries) where the opposition would have put 20 on us. Our issue is that we play dumb football, our foward pack is subpar and we couldn't hold the f**king ball. It also didn't help that two of their tries came directly from the fact that Matt Hilder is way too slow to be defending that wide as a 5/8 and he has zero creativity and consistently broke down the plays.

We certainly don't need a culture overhaul. We need a goddamn skills and "how to play smart football 101" overhaul.

Last edited:
Don't be surprised if most of the off contracts are gone next year. If Bennett is serious about culture overhaul he will need to form a new squad with players he knows are complete professionals. Even Houston is a 50/50. He seems to lack the aggression and physicality needed to dominate.

Last edited:

saints4ever

First Grade
Newie seem to be playing under the impression everything will be ok because Bennett is in the box. The fundamentals you guys are talking about start with one thing, hard work.

Knights will be ok, I reckon come Origin time Benny will work the kinks out and you will find tour groove. For tour sake I hope you won't be behind the pack when you make your run

That's the issue S4e. We are working hard but not executing. I believe many of the boys are intimidated by Bennett's aura. Many play like they are trying to prove something. That is not what we need. We need a team which has physical presence. Boyd can't be like another Joey. We need more than that.

Latest posts