What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Funding for expansion clubs for 2012

Perth Red

Post Whore
Presuming they do decide to expand the comp and nanounc ethe two teams in 2011 will there be funds available to the two clubs to start preparing ready for 2013? Mayb ethe money that was going to News Ltd ($8mill) some of that could be used to help the two new clubs be ready to hit the ground running when they enter?

AFL have heavily funded prior to admission, Western Force got $12mill from ARU to get ready, what chances the NRL has enough forsight to make sure the new clubs are succesful from day one?

We could use it to continue our SG Ball team, start up a NSW Cup team, continue to develop our schools programs and WARL jnr set ups and ensure we have the right calibre of backroom staff employed to be attracting sponsors and fans ready for kick off.

chefman21

Juniors
I'm hoping the expansion clubs don't need funding to be successful and to "hit the ground running". Seems a bit backward to me. Shouldn't be expanding if we need to fund their expansion. Spread that money to the existing clubs.

applesauce

Bench
I'm hoping the expansion clubs don't need funding to be successful and to "hit the ground running". Seems a bit backward to me. Shouldn't be expanding if we need to fund their expansion. Spread that money to the existing clubs.

:roll:

I am not even going to respond...

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I think its necessary. I actually think more money needs to go into the Storm and a similar amount into Perth. Long term. So long as running costs are comparable with the other clubs but extra funds are directed at marketing and juniors. Perth is in a great situation where they are owned by the WARL. That is such a good thing for the game IMO.

Short term any other side admitted should only need money for a just in case situation. Like the Bears are ready now but who knows, a sponsor might fall through. I wouldnt mind the NRL bailing them out if a replacement couldnt be found.

BDGS

Bench
I think its necessary. I actually think more money needs to go into the Storm and a similar amount into Perth. Long term. So long as running costs are comparable with the other clubs but extra funds are directed at marketing and juniors. Perth is in a great situation where they are owned by the WARL. That is such a good thing for the game IMO.

Short term any other side admitted should only need money for a just in case situation. Like the Bears are ready now but who knows, a sponsor might fall through. I wouldnt mind the NRL bailing them out if a replacement couldnt be found.

Agree on all points.

Perth Red

Post Whore

:crazy:

RWB

Bench
You'd kind of hope this is one of the things they'd just do automatically... there was money on offer for and NRL club to relocate to the CC I'm guessing that money hasn't just disappeared.

Dogs Of War

Coach
You'd kind of hope this is one of the things they'd just do automatically... there was money on offer for and NRL club to relocate to the CC I'm guessing that money hasn't just disappeared.

It was said a few years ago that that money did dissapear off the table. Can't be bothered googling it. That said, once we get the new TV contract, there should be money put on the table to relocate. Something more around the $20-25mil mark, going up by say $2mil a year until someone bites, with areas nominated that are preferred like CC, Adelaide, NZ etc.

Dogs Of War

Coach
The AFL are helping their 2 new teams. The NRL should do the same.

I think it's really the salary cap that needs to change, and then you can easily put allowances in for the new teams. Something like the NBA salary cap is the way to go, with those teams that want to pay over the nominated salary cap, having to contribute dollar for dollar back to the NRL. The allowance can be for new teams that the first year there is no penalty, second year it is 25%, and so on until it reaches 100%, or if you want you could leave it at say 75% (versus 100% penalty for other teams), as it is a new market. Still means the club has to pay it's way, even going over the salary cap.

The money can be used to push back into junior programs like the AFL has for auskick. Maybe even a buy out of Oztag so that a non-contact version of league is available for school programs to introduce boys and girls to the basics, and get that interest in league increased.

chefman21

Juniors
What's the problem with what I said? Don't we want strong, financially self sufficient clubs in the competition? The whinge that goes on about the Sharks, Knights, Manly and all the other poor clubs folding, merging or relocating would suggest many people do. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. If they don't have the sponsorship, the support or the infrastructure to support themselves when they join the competition then they don't join as far as I'm concerned. Give the new club bonus to existing clubs instead to have a strong, self sufficient competition. Isn't that what we want in the end?

Raiderdave

First Grade

Maybe the AFL should take head of this too eh ?:crazy:

BunniesMan

Immortal
What's the problem with what I said? Don't we want strong, financially self sufficient clubs in the competition? The whinge that goes on about the Sharks, Knights, Manly and all the other poor clubs folding, merging or relocating would suggest many people do. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. If they don't have the sponsorship, the support or the infrastructure to support themselves when they join the competition then they don't join as far as I'm concerned. Give the new club bonus to existing clubs instead to have a strong, self sufficient competition. Isn't that what we want in the end?
While in theory I agree with you it's just not possible in practice or we would never have a team outside of NSW and QLD. The Storm for example would fold.

adamkungl

Immortal

So what your saying is the NRL should play no part in its growth, and leave it to others to stump up the cash? Running the NRL club is only a small part of an expansion project. If Perth enters the comp, I would like to think they will be able to cover the costs of their NRL side and administration with sponsorship, membership, crowds (16-18k to start would be nice :)) and merchandise. Anything less is unnacceptable and simply not viable.

But in a place like Perth, what about other stuff? It's an entirely new market in enemy territory. It is in the NRLs best interests to ensure junior comps are growing, Rugby League is heavily marketed, etc.

I would be happy for the NRL to put a couple of million per year into Perth for a few years in an effort to grow the game. I would NOT be happy for the NRL to give expansion teams any sort of salary cap concessions or any other way of artificially boosting their on field success, like the AFL does with concessions and draft picks. Give them a bit of extra cash, maybe, but the should be solely responsible for attracting playing talent within the same rules as everyone else.

Von

Juniors
agree with Adam on the extra money to be used for development of the game and not salary cap concessions.

The great problem we have is all the NRL bids (Bears, WA, Ipswich, CQ, etc) are self funded. It is a joke and embarrassment to the game people like Greg Florimo have to dip into their own pockets, drum up sponsors, development stadiums, business plans, etc with absolutely no encouragement let alone involvement from the NRL.

The AFL expansion teams are backed financially by the AFL and are guaranteed many years of financial support. Even though the AFL teams are "plonked" in areas that may not want them, they are here to stay. The Swans took 20 years before gaining full acceptance in Sydney and GWS will also do the same. Love em or hate em, the AFL has a full 5/10/20 year plan. The NRLs response is silence.

The NRL bids should be congratulated for their dedication. But how can you expect the bids to keep going without any direction from the NRL. The NRL may not even expand?! Is the NRL going to turn the Bears down again? What a message of amateurism that would send about the management of the NRL.

Hopefully the new IC will set up a proper future plan.

Presuming they do decide to expand the comp and nanounc ethe two teams in 2011 will there be funds available to the two clubs to start preparing ready for 2013? Mayb ethe money that was going to News Ltd ($8mill) some of that could be used to help the two new clubs be ready to hit the ground running when they enter?

AFL have heavily funded prior to admission, Western Force got $12mill from ARU to get ready, what chances the NRL has enough forsight to make sure the new clubs are succesful from day one?

We could use it to continue our SG Ball team, start up a NSW Cup team, continue to develop our schools programs and WARL jnr set ups and ensure we have the right calibre of backroom staff employed to be attracting sponsors and fans ready for kick off.

I assume quite a bit mate...... Fair dinkum they aren't just going to throw a team in there with no $.

No offence but stupid f**king post.

Just reading these comments its the same people bleating the same inane sh*t about expansion that they do every 2-3 weeks or so.... Seriously guys David Gallop doesnt read this people from this forum arent going to be writing in to him begging him to expand so just get the f**k over it or write your own letters, gets real old you's posting some inane crap like this just as an excuse to talk about a topic that bores most of us who have been regulars here for a few years to tears.

Latest posts