What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future Hall of Famers?

Raider_69

Post Whore
L.T is a lock. Same with payten and brady. Moss will but not first ballot. I think Dawk goes, but not super #5 unless he brings a sb to the skins. Ray Lewis and Ed Reed are certs and i think Hutch and Fanica are good bets too. Jared Allen is probably a very good bet too.

Three im keen to hear opinions on - hines ward, t.o and wes welker. Any of them make it?

DC_fan

Coach
no to Witten as well. Ware is not there yet either.

What!

There are not a lot of tight ends in the HOF, just seven. Which shows how difficult is for TE to make it.

Dave Casper
Mike Ditka
John Mackey
Ozzie Newsome
Charlie Sanders
Jackie Smith
Kellen Winslow

TE is a position that has changed a lot over the years. All it was once was an extra OL. Today its a position where the player can be used in multiple ways.

Of the TE's in todays game Tony Gonzalez is the obvious choice as a future Hall of Famer.

I believe Witten is in with a real chance of making the HOF. Maybe not in his first year of elegibility, but sometime shortly after.

In seven years of playing he has missed just one game. When you consider how he plays the game that is incredible feat. In four of those seven years he has had over 80 receptions and in two he has passed 1,000 yards recieving.

Wittens carre totals for receptions and yards are 523 and 5,965 respectively. In receptions he sits him 2nd behind Gonzalea in active players (TE).

Obviously a lot will depend on how he finishes his career. But I don't see nay reason why he wont make the HOF

Last edited:
i say no chance. Gonzalez and Gates are both miles better. If he can get some more 1000 yard seasons and possibly a ring then he may be a chance but now, no way.

DC_fan

Coach
i say no chance. Gonzalez and Gates are both miles better. If he can get some more 1000 yard seasons and possibly a ring then he may be a chance but now, no way.

With respect, if you believe Gates is a miles better TE then Witten then you have no idea in what you are talking about.

Gonzalez will be remembered as being one of the great TE of all time. As I said he is an obvious choice as a future Hall of Famer.

As for the other two, well I don't see any reason why Witten wont make it and probably Gates also.

Lets compare the career stats for Witten and Gates

Receptions Gates 479 Witten 523
Yards Gates 6,223 Witten 5,965
TD Gates 58 Witten 27
Most rec in a season Gates 89 Witten 96
80+ rec in a season Gates 2 Witten 4
Most yards in a season Gates 1,157 Witten 1,145
1,000 yards in a season Gates 2 Witten 2
Pro Bowls Gates 6 Witten 6

For me the stats suggest that both players are pretty close, especially in recieving. Where Witten is better then Gates is blocking.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
one ill throw out there as i didn't watch him all the time in his "prime" But Mick Vick if he didn't have his dogfighting thing and miss 3 seasons would he of eventually been in contention to get to the HOF?

Monk

Referee
one ill throw out there as i didn't watch him all the time in his "prime" But Mick Vick if he didn't have his dogfighting thing and miss 3 seasons would he of eventually been in contention to get to the HOF?

no, even in his prime he was nothing more then entertainment value.

Was never an elite QB.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Vick still holds a lot of quarter back records, is he hof material? Probably not, but he's a special player, and without the dog fighting conviction maybe he'd have got there