What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Dragons tried this at Wollongong and could only get it done by playing a few games early in the season there and then playing 12-18 months straight at Kograh while the build was going on. The west side at all grounds is the broadcast side so you would have to do something to the other side to allow cameras etc to be placed there. Plus there's heaps of corporates on that west side too so having to move them elsewhere would be a challenge.

And the changerooms as well......
Flip the order around then and do the broadcast side first so it’s duplicated before you demolish the old one. But I’dve thought you could achieve the demolition and rebuild of a single stand in one off season.
just don’t design one that’ll get its roof blown off like Wollongong

Vibing

Juniors
You dont think they'll bring up the two new stadium investment in any counter argument to vlandys demands?

Origin is a good tourism sporting event but a GF is much bigger as many more fans will travel for it from interstate. Slap a $10-$15mill min Govt spend plus some activity stuff in the week in the hosting city to create that superbowl vibe and its a good outcome for the game. Start with an Offer to NSW to keep for $10mill a year for a guaranteed ten year period. Still a good outcome for the game. Cant really lose on this one if Vlandys negotiates it well (alarm bells ring lol)

Other option is to try and set up a deal like MArvel stadium, paid for by mix of private. state and NRL investment, with NRL eventually taking over ownership for a set price. Only issue with that is you need to get 2-3 clubs as long term tenants to make it a worthwhile ROI.
stuff their argument

there was a deal
it was broken

thats what matters ...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Didn’t say the past government didn’t invest, they did. I want this one to keep investing.
Why should they? why should they build a stadium for every club?
They've built two outstanding stadiums for sydney clubs to use.
Looks like they may hopefully build one for one more (politcally motivcated or not).
Why should they find hundreds of millions more to appease 4 or 5 clubs who cant be arsed to use the stadium available and build their businesses around that? I don't know of any place in the world that would be building 6 or 7 stadiums for predominantly one sport to use. I can see why NSW tax payers are saying no more.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think the Dragons could get on board with a shared stadium in the south.. but...

1 - The Sharks won't just walk away from Shark Park, so the Dragons would need to find a different partner club, and a mutually agreeable location (no idea what that could be)

2 - Even if the Dragons find a partner club & get a new stadium, the Dragons will still need to take some home games to Woolongong - no matter how good their new Sydney stadium is. So the stadium wouldn't be home to 2 teams in their entirety.
re sharks, nor do I, too dumb. That will catch up with them again in the future.
Dragons in a new southern stadium id split the other way and have 8 sydney and 4 Wollongong. The crowds at WIN arent huge and no signs of growing nor any signs the stadium is going to be finished.
In fact the time Ive spent in Wollongong in last 18months I see more jerseys from other sydney clubs than Dragons ones. I guess there are a lot of Sydney folk moving down there.

Vibing

Juniors
Looks like they may hopefully build one for one more (politcally motivcated or not).
Why should they find hundreds of millions more to appease 4 or 5 clubs who cant be arsed to use the stadium available and build their businesses around that? I don't know of any place in the world that would be building 6 or 7 stadiums for predominantly one sport to use. I can see why NSW tax payers are saying no more.
because they said they would dummy
committed 2 Billion to stadiums that the NRL use

then reneged about 800 mill shy of that figure
thats why

doesn't matter it was the previous Govt
honor the deal

ground zero

Juniors
Canterbury an Dragons are almost neighbours. They could get a bankwest type stadium built somewhere in between them both. An share it. Stuff the Sharks leave them behind.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Canterbury an Dragons are almost neighbours. They could get a bankwest type stadium built somewhere in between them both. An share it. Stuff the Sharks leave them behind.
Thats true, there's only 8km between Kogorah and Belmore. Not sure if there's any land in the middle somewhere but that could also work as a shared stadium option. Looking at Bulldogs pathetic fan revenue numbers the fans are certainly not enamored with playing at Accor.

flippikat

Bench
Thats true, there's only 8km between Kogorah and Belmore. Not sure if there's any land in the middle somewhere but that could also work as a shared stadium option. Looking at Bulldogs pathetic fan revenue numbers the fans are certainly not enamored with playing at Accor.

So...

Penrith Stadium - Penrith (Maybe refurbished instead of new build)
Parramatta Stadium - Parramatta (all home games) & Wests Tigers (8 games)
Olympic Stadium - Souths
SFS - Sydney Roosters
Shark Park - Cronulla
New Stadium between Kogarah & Belmore - Canterbury (all) & St George-Illawarra (8 games)

Campbelltown - Wests Tigers (4 games)
Wollongong- St George-Illawarra (4 games)

Interesting idea...

Perth Red

Post Whore
So...

Penrith Stadium - Penrith (Maybe refurbished instead of new build)
Parramatta Stadium - Parramatta (all home games) & Wests Tigers (8 games)
Olympic Stadium - Souths
SFS - Sydney Roosters
Shark Park - Cronulla
New Stadium between Kogarah & Belmore - Canterbury (all) & St George-Illawarra (8 games)

Campbelltown - Wests Tigers (4 games)
Wollongong- St George-Illawarra (4 games)

Interesting idea...
Id move Souths to allianz but yeh pretty much it.
Manly still stuck in Manly but one day the council may let the develop the land around to pay for stadium upgrade.
At least that would give 7 Sydney clubs playing FT or mostly in decent stadiums with just 2 left playing in run down dumps.
Use Accor for a match of the round sydney match up event Friday night to appease Govt.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The absolute uproar by residents if you think you can find a spot between belmore and kogarah … no new stadiums for anyone.
Yeh looks a pretty jam packed urban area. Mind you I'm always amazed where new big building projects pop up!
Ideally Dragons should play 4 big games at Allianz and 8 in a redeveloped Wollongong but wont happen.
And Dogs and Tigers should share a new stadium somewhere. Having built 3 state of the art stadiums and Accor as well there's really no justification for tax payers to be forking out even more for rectangular stadiums in Sydney. I know every club, and their fans, woudl like one but its hardly good use of taxpayer money. If it happens great, but it looks highly unlikely this Govt has any interest in it.

It's Been Done

Juniors
No it wasn't. Lower tier was done first and then the upper a year later.

So was Newcastle;
200404-EnergyAustralia_NewStand.jpg

vs the finished product;
MJStadium2.jpg

parrawentyfan

Juniors
One of the problems we have is that some of the stadiums are located randomly away from town centres
- Dogs would be more successful if at Bankstown instead of Belmore
- Dragons at Hurstville instead of Carlton (although Gong is my pref)
- Sharks at Sutherland instead of Woolooware
- Sea-Eagles at Chatswood instead of Brookvale

These are all 'little Parramattas'. Built up areas with good transport links. But no land available.

There really is no land available in between Dragons and Dogs, unless Bexley or Canterbury Golf Course were to ever close. But they are miles from public transport.

Eion

First Grade
Because I want them to. I’m a NSW resident, what business of it is yours as a sandgroper?