What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

bazza

Immortal
Its going to host the opening and closing ceremonies. And the football final. It will be the hub of the games. You don't need an oval for that.
Probably will have a couple of big soccer games with the Australian men/women and probably a few with other big soccer nations as well as semis

Thinking about it - were else will soccer be besides Gold Coast? I know in 2000 they had games around the country. Would have been a great chance to get some funding for a 20k rectangular stadium in the region and someone like Canberra could have pitched a new stadium to host some games

nko11

Juniors
They won't do that at this time as that is the "carrot" they are using with the NSW Government to get funding for NSW Stadium funding. I suspect if they can't get it over the line by next season, then it may change, but until then, they won't be looking at GF's in Qld.
Could they offer QLD the first GF after it's built. It would increase the chances of Suncorp getting the upgrade and as a side effect show the NSW government that they're serious about moving Grand Finals. More bargaining power if they show it's a legitimate threat.

Could they offer QLD the first GF after it's built. It would increase the chances of Suncorp getting the upgrade and as a side effect show the NSW government that they're serious about moving Grand Finals. More bargaining power if they show it's a legitimate threat.

The talk about a "long term GF deal" is to take it through to sometime in the mid-2030s. If that is accurate, I doubt promising to take one after that dates to Qld might have much sway on current politicians.

Then again, I could be wrong.

Wb1234

Immortal
They won't do that at this time as that is the "carrot" they are using with the NSW Government to get funding for NSW Stadium funding. I suspect if they can't get it over the line by next season, then it may change, but until then, they won't be looking at GF's in Qld.
What’s left to do in Sydney ? We got most of it already without tying up the gf including over 100 million for coe

I was suggesting a few grand finals for qld not every year

nko11

Juniors
The talk about a "long term GF deal" is to take it through to sometime in the mid-2030s. If that is accurate, I doubt promising to take one after that dates to Qld might have much sway on current politicians.

Then again, I could be wrong.
Depends on the timeline. Definitely unlikely, but if they can get a commitment from Rugby Union for the World Cup Final to be played at Suncorp and upgraded Suncorp from end of September 2025 to Feb 2027 to 70k (Broncos+Dolphins to the Gabba for 2026 season). They could have the 2027 NRL Grand Final played there. Would push the NSW State Government to act as soon as it's announced. Could see them making a start on a world class rectangular event stadium before 2027, if QLD announces 2 massive events at their premier rectangular facility.

Then if NSW wants a longterm GF deal, they need to Rebuild Accor to 70k+ and spend money on Manly and Cronulla. That's more or less every team in Sydney with the option to play at decent facilities.

I'd ditch the athletics stadium, spend $1.5bill extending and upgrading the Gabba to host the Olympics and keep it fit for purpose for the next 30 years and $1bill turning suncorp into a 70k+ state of the art stadium fit for purpose for next 40 years. At least Brisbane then gets two main stadiums with significant upgrades and Olympics gets a reasonable venue in the city with some legacy of transport and tourist amenities around it.

I suspect the LNP have the Gabba partial rebuild in mind looking at their presser on what they'll do in having yet another independent review.

Seems nuts to me to spend $1.6bill on a athletics stadium that is primarily for kids and amateurs to use and has no revenue raising potential of any significance for the Govt.
I'd tell AwFuL to rebuild the Gabba with their own money. Their fans are always bragging about how much revenue it generates. You're always gloating about the revenue gap between AwFuL and NRL. Here's a chance to put it to good use.

QSAC shouldn't cost $1.6B. Two main grandstands providing 30k permanent seats would be money well spent. 30k temporary seats at the ends that can be shifted to suburban grounds post-Olympics.

When the tempory seats are removed they can be replaced with statues of the track and field athletes that won gold at the Brisbane 2032. That would make it iconic and a tourist location.

I want the olympics to have a suitable venue that doesnt embarrass the country and Brisbane a suitable legacy, sporting and non sporting, for spending billions of $'s.

The fact Suncorp is getting anything when it doesnt actually need it for the Olympics, which is what the funding has been set aside for, is dubious to say the least and smacks of vote winning decision making rather than whats best for the Olympics.

Thats not to say there shouldn't be a plan to upgrade Suncorp and get it to a 70k modern stadium, the two are not directly related imo. If we were talking a soccer world cup then obviously it would be a totally different conversation.
Are you a paid fumbleball ambassador?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can you explain why a 70k Suncorp will embarrass the country? It's already an awesome venue that will get better with upgrades.

Like with the Dolphins, you are going off too early. The venues will look fantastic come the Olympics.
Im talking about the jewel in the crown of the olympics, the athletics!

mongoose

Coach
Im talking about all the area around they planned to develop and link to South Bank. That would have been amazing. i think South bank is the best tourist development area in any city in Australia and to have had it extended woudl have been great.

If we ever got a Football WC Id love for WA to spend $1.5bill on a world class rectangular stadium at Burswood so we got high profile games and the city had a decent stadium for the future for rectangluar sports!
Not sure what you are talking about, there is a massive hospital between South Bank and the Gabba and a strip of old shops going up Stanley st that probably have some heritage value.

Perth Red

Post Whore
from memory there were no other bidders so they didn't need much of a plan
Indonesia, Germany, Spain India and Qatar also threw their hats in the ring. Brisbane was chosen to put forward to the delegates for ratification in the new system rather than expecting all bidders to spend silly money and go into a open vote.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can you explain why a 70k Suncorp will embarrass the country? It's already an awesome venue that will get better with upgrades.

Like with the Dolphins, you are going off too early. The venues will look fantastic come the Olympics.
Can you see why I think Perth Red has an irrational hatred for rugby league in Brisbane and wants to destroy the game?

He does nothing but try to tear the game down. He reckons the Broncos draw terrible crowds, despite being twice as big as any other rugby league/union club in the world. He hates the Dolphins because they're a traditional BRL club and larger than every team bar the Broncos. He thinks Brisbane should only have two teams despite having 2.6m and the world's largest and richest clubs, yet he defends Hull having two tiny clubs that only draw 20k between them in a city of 260k. He wants traditional BRL clubs to prop up teams in Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth.

Now he wants to elevate the Gabba above Lang Park and destroy any legacy for track and field in Brisbane?

Unbelievable!

Last edited:

Wb1234

Immortal

The ioc don’t want the gabba upgraded as per those plans

it’s only your afl that does

Brutus

Referee
Its not just about opening and cling ceremony, the athletics stadium is the face of the Olympics and the precinct around it the heart of the games. The plan was a sound wone in that regards, lining that area to south bank would have been amazing for visitors and future tourism.

If Gabba cant realistically be partially rebuilt for the games for $1.5bill fair enough, but it seems the answer they have come up with is more about public sentiment than best outcomes for the event that the whole thing is actually happening for! $1.6bill for a kids athletic stadium that will be a pretty ho hum face of the games seems a massive wasted opportunity for Brisbane.

Purtell Park would be a better option for the Olympics than the Gabba.