What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Being in brisbane I find it so strange that people actually drive to a footy game. Is your public transport that crap? Brisbane and melbourne both have ideal set ups with public transport and stadiums. I am also pretty sure that all Broncos games have free Public transport as well.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Being in brisbane I find it so strange that people actually drive to a footy game. Is your public transport that crap? Brisbane and melbourne both have ideal set ups with public transport and stadiums. I am also pretty sure that all Broncos games have free Public transport as well.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Please, this is Sydney we're talking about!!!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Old trafford a terrible RL venue...

I,for one,hope we move the ESL grand final to man citys etihad stadium when they've finished making it bigger,they are currently expanding it to 62,000..
It aint the best RL stadium in the world with those tiny soccer field-sized in goal areas.

Ok, its a shitty RL ground. It is still a great Soccer ground, which validated the claim that patchwork stadiums can be great for fans.....

Redoing SA for an East-West configuration might make it look a bit nuts from an arial view, but, you cant deny, it would do wonders for the view and the atmosphere!! And it wouldnt make the current infrastructure redundant

taipan

Referee
SFS needs a bloody roof,or at least more cover when it hisses down.To get 70% 0f the crowd soaking wet and expecting them to pay top dollar is ludicrous.

It doesn't need to be enlarged,just modified within,from a comfort perspective.
Current capacity ? about 44,000 ?
Based on our historic crowds that appears sufficient.

Get ANZ back to a rectangle stadium,with decent cover.If it means a drop in capacity to 70,000 I have no problem with that.Do something about rail there.Weekday games there are a waste of space i.e. MNF.

Do the deed on Parramatta stadium 35,000 max.

With the leftover monies grant Brookvale/Penrith/Sharks Park more money for extra cover and improved facilities.The NRL to make contributions to all.

Crowds will improve,especially when we get more crazy wet days like recent times.

Timbo

Staff member
Surfing the web today, desperately avoiding doing any work, I came across an article talking about the 'renaissance of Canadian football stadiums'. Apparently there's been a stadium boom in Canada over the last five years with virtually every club recieving almost a complete re-build of their stadium or a brand new one.

I'm now home and can't find the article for the life of me, but having a closer look, I can't help but think that some of these would be ideal templates for mid-sized NRL stadiums or club grounds. For examples of nice mid-sized stadiums these two are pretty nice:

Mosiac Stadium, Regina (Capacity, 33,000):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mosaic_Stadium

image.jpg

Investors Group Field, Winnipeg (33,500)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Investors_Group_Field

ei11ja.jpg

As for club stadiums, these two new stadiums, Tim Hortons Field, Hamilton (22,500):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Hortons_Field

tim-hortons-field-5.jpg

TD Place Stadium, Ottowa (24,000):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TD_Place_Stadium

FRONT_PAGE_MEDIA_GROUP_20140718_LTS_1106_REDBLACKS_HOME_OPENER.jpg

But the best of the lot in my view is Vancouver's recently renovated BC Place Stadium (55,000) which would be a great replacement for the SFS if they want to build a new mid-sized stadium with a retractable roof in Sydneys east:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BC_Place

BC-Place-Int.jpg

----------------------------------------------

There has obviously been a multi-billion dollar stadium spending spree in Canada to pull this off but from what I've read it's suggested there is a trade-off: A dramatic increase in crowds across the board.

We have a different culture here but until a short time ago most Canadian sides played out of dilapidated stadiums. The stadium boom, improving both player and spectator facilities, has lead to a spike in crowds and an increase in revenue for the league. We could do a lot worse than try to follow that example.

whall15

Coach
The interesting thing about BC Place is that they can implement a lower roof for matches with smaller attendances to improve the atmosphere.

143_O_Canada_at_BC_Place

Timbo

Staff member
Didn't know about that feature. That'd be awesome at Moore Park.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
That's a great idea, often thought a big black curtain should be dropped down over level 7-8 at ANZ

Low crowds arent really the problem, its the perception of a low crowd that is the problem..

Ever been in a pub when a game from ANZ is on with a crowd of below 17k , you can often hear non die hard league fans commenting on how bad the crowd looks, blah blah

It obviously must have an effect on corporate sponsors looking to invest in the game,,

If NRL could get 150 k per round with over 75% occupancy, it would greatly change the image of the game...

Saint Doc

Coach
That roof is amazing as not only does it hide empty seats but the roof would contain sound even better creating a better atmosphere.

Of all the scatterbrain crazy ideas floated in this thread and its predecessor, this is probably the best idea for a stadium design I've seen for sydney

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
That's a great idea, often thought a big black curtain should be dropped down over level 7-8 at ANZ

Low crowds arent really the problem, its the perception of a low crowd that is the problem..

I've always thought that stadiums with upper tiers could be designed a lot better in that respect, and you don't need a curtain or anything, just make sure the upper tiers aren't utilised when crowds are below a certain level and design the lighting so that the lights can be switched off in the upper levels to keep them in shadow.

Red Bear

Referee
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Please, this is Sydney we're talking about!!!
eh. It's not nearly as shit as people think it is (just a bit expensive sometimes). It's also not as good as it could be.

Opal Card for me seems to have reduced my costs of using public transport a bit.

beave

Coach
http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.a...-stadium-funding/story-fnjfzsax-1227355570524

PRIME Minister Tony Abbott has told his government to investigate options for funding a new football stadium in Townsville’s CBD.

Meanwhile, Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has warned that plans for the stadium would have to be scaled back if the Federal Government failed to contribute towards the expected $200 million cost.

In a letter to Ms Palaszczuk on April 30, Mr Abbott said he would refer her request to Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss “to investigate potential options for Commonwealth support”.

“I recognise the importance this project would play in reviving the region through employment generation and improved ability to deliver major events,” Mr Abbott said.

“The local Liberal National Party Federal Member, Mr Ewen Jones MP, has been a strong advocate for new employment and tourism opportunities in the region.”

Mr Abbott requested more details on the contributions of Townsville City Council and North Queensland Cowboys to the project.

He also asked for assurances regarding Ms Palaszczuk’s plans to use dividends from the Port of Townsville to fund the State’s $100 million contribution towards the project.

“In the interim, I encourage you and the Townsville City Council to take advantage of the Commonwealth Government’s National Stronger Regions Fund,” Mr Abbott said. Ms Palaszczuk yesterday warned the final design of the stadium might need to be pared back without Commonwealth support.

“Our $100 million is on the table and it remains on the table,” she said.

“What we need is for the Federal Government to come on board.

“I wouldn’t like to see a scaled-back version but if that’s what we have to do, that’s what we’ll do. We’ll talk to the council as well but for it to be the vision that the council and the Cowboys want, it will need to be full scale for the full amount.”

Townsville Mayor Jenny Hill said the Prime Minister’s comments were positive and there shouldn’t be any talk about a scaled-back version.

Cr Hill said she favoured building the stadium with adjoining convention centre for about $300 million.

“We’ve come a long way from not having any funding support to having $100 million on the table to the Federal Government saying they are now looking at funding options. I look forward to having further discussions with the Prime Minister on Sunday,” she said.

Cowboys chief executive Peter Jourdain said the NRL had also been lobbying hard for the Commonwealth to come to the table.

-------------------------------

I thought the federal gov might wait s bit, if they called an early election as some have predicted in the media, I thought an announcement of the stadium might be made then to wooo the voters. In the meantime the local council has paid for the masterplan for the whole precinct ($5mil) so it's starting to move along.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/national/wha...head-of-schedule/story-e6frfkp9-1227366568868

STADIUM PUNT COST $750K

DAVE Smith spent $750,000 of NRL cash on a feasibility study with the SCG Trust to build a 65,000-seat stadium at Moore Park. The chances of it now happening are a billion-to-one.

Reliable sources have told your columnist that Premier Mike Baird will share the stadium upgrade funds between ANZ, Allianz and Parramatta Stadium. Most NRL clubs are happy with the stadium outcome but not with the fact Smith spent $750,000 on a failed venture.

Latest posts