What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

El Diablo

Post Whore
suck on a turd Foley you bald knob

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/allianz-stadium-stuart-ayres-sfs-nsw-20180815-p4zxm0.html

'What is the rush here?': Allianz demolition to go ahead despite looming election

Jacob Saulwick16 August 2018 — 12:00am

The NSW government will sign a contract to demolish Allianz Stadium at Moore Park even if it has to do so with the state election looming.

The state opposition says signing the demolition contract close to the March 2019 election would breach conventions preventing governments from tying the hands of future administrations.

But Sports Minister Stuart Ayres said because the decision to demolish and replace the stadium had already been taken, it should not be an issue.

In a parliamentary inquiry last week, the government agency responsible for building the $729 million stadium, Infrastructure NSW, said it was hopeful of obtaining planning approval for the demolition of Allianz in mid to late November.

Once approval was obtained, it might take “two or three weeks” for a cabinet committee to approve the demolition contract, Jim Betts, the chief executive of Infrastructure NSW, told the inquiry. According to Mr Betts’ evidence, the contract would be signed only after cabinet and planning approval.

Labor MP John Graham asked Mr Betts about the interaction between the timing of the contract signing and caretaker government conventions.

The “caretaker” period is typically a window of a few weeks before an election.

But there is a longer “pre-election” period in which governments are discouraged from making major decisions. In 2015, this pre-election period dated from the last parliamentary sitting day before the election. The equivalent date in 2018 is November 29.

“Although the conventions only apply during the caretaker period, it is accepted that care should also be taken throughout the entire pre-election period,” a Premier’s memorandum issued before the 2015 election said.

“In particular, the government should generally be circumspect at any time in the lead-up to the election before making any significant decision that may be politically contentious and would bind a future government.”

Asked last week if signing the demolition contract during the pre-election period would present a conflict with the conventions, Mr Betts said he would need to take advice.

“The pre-election period does not impact the Infrastructure NSW delivery program.”

Mr Graham disagreed, saying signing a demolition contract in the pre-election period would be a “clear breach of the caretaker principles.”

“They were developed for precisely this scenario, a politically contentious decision made in the shadow of an election,” he said.

“What is the rush here? Why not let the public have a say?”

Labor opposes the demolition of Allianz, and has suggested it could refurbish the stadium if it was still standing, and if there was a change of government next year.

Demolition is due to start after the New Year's Test series between Australia and India at the adjacent SCG.

Timbo

Staff member
This is Foley and Graham playing games. This decision was made before the football season started.

Also, I lol'd at 'why not let the public have a say'. Is that how we do things now? Every decision the government makes requires the court of public opinion to have a swing at it?

This is Foley and Graham playing games. This decision was made before the football season started.

Also, I lol'd at 'why not let the public have a say'. Is that how we do things now? Every decision the government makes requires the court of public opinion to have a swing at it?

The real concern isn’t that it’s being done, it’s that $730m is being spent on it. Absolutely insane money. It will be gold plated for the SCG Trust.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
This is back to the future stuff. We used to have the "match of the round" played at the SCG until the early 1970s. Main reason it got big crowds was because the games were not on TV. These days every game is live on TV, and because you can get such a good view of the game on TV, many league fans won't attend games in person. Add in those on limited budgets, and even more stay home.

So what we know to be a fact is that this this has been tried in the past and worked well to grow crowds...

All of these arguements against the idea (TV is better, tickets are expensive, fans dont like to attend) are just as much a problem for suburban grounds. At least this would be trying something new to confront these problems.

You want people to attend games, you have to give them a reason to. Just playing at ANZ alone won't get people to attend. Yes better facilities do help, but alone they won't address the malaise in people not attending games.

You have not made a justifiable case for why ANZ Stadium should, automatically, get the 4pm Sunday time slot.

The point of this is to create something that is more than just "playing at ANZ". It is about creating a weekly event at precinct designed for these kinds of events...

It needs to be weekly to create the habit of attending and it needs to be the same venue to make it as easy as possible for fans to turn up each week.

Without any disrespect to their fans, Gee I could imagine the barnstorming crowd of neutrals you'd get this year if the Eels played the Bulldogs at ANZ and you put it at 4.00 pm on a Sunday :rolleyes:

When we pick the TV games months in advance, some games will always be shittier than expected. Was it really that much better to watch the Roosters flog Manly in front of 9k?

And if this concept was already going, it would almost certainly have boosted the crowd at least a bit.

At least a small boost is better than nothing. And, when the match-up is actually exciting, the crowd boost this could give might be massive.

I don't agree with playing games at suburban grounds, but just saying all the big games should be at ANZ Stadium alone doing forward is short sighted and what I am against per se. For example, why should the Roosters have to move a home game against Souths from the SFS to ANZ when their ground will accommodate the crowd? It makes no sense at all.

I think you have misunderstood what i suggested. I dont want every major game at ANZ, just one game a week.

Roosters-Souths can still be played at SFS. Thats no problem. They still have 2 FTA slots they could take up (they would almost certainly be on Tursday/Friday regardless of this concept anyway) and there are other afternoon games to go around too.

siv

First Grade
So a simple scheduling plan could be arranged as

Thu - Melbourne/Brisbane
Fri 6pm - Auckland / Newcastle
Fri 8pm - SFS / Brookvale
Sat 5:30 - Canberra / Wollongong
Sat 7:30 - Endeavour / Townsville
Sun 2:00 - WSS / Penrith
Sun 4:00 - ANZ

Suitman

Post Whore
39265696_863975073798981_4241434248097038336_o.jpg

39182386_863978973798591_6812102552780275712_o.jpg

39341396_863978990465256_6535912743780745216_o.jpg

39177553_863978957131926_4031612253735223296_o.jpg

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Thu - Melbourne/Brisbane

Yeh, pretty much. Obviously share out the burden of the Thursday/Friday games a bit and maybe try to get an extra Sunday 2pm game in is its possible. But yeh, it looks like a fairly decent schedule.

The potential downsides of a permanent ANZ-4pm slot are almost nothing. And while i cant guarantee any result, it definitely wont make crowds worse and could potentially grow into a massive event.

jim_57

Staff member
I wouldn't mind the idea of 4pm Sunday being a lock in Sydney, not sure it should be ANZ only though. With 3 new stadiums why not share the love a bit and make it a timeslot shared between ANZ, Allianz & WSS depending on the best chance of drawing a crowd.

The NRL could sell GA "Sydney Sunday" season/10/6/4/2 game passes and split the profit between clubs involved.
Plenty of ways to go about promoting it, offer free/cheap entry to away team members, give a 1/2 game pass to every junior Rugby League player in Sydney or NSW by application. There's plenty of little things to try and get the neutrals in which would be the key to building a crowd culture around the event.

I wouldn't mind the idea of 4pm Sunday being a lock in Sydney, not sure it should be ANZ only though. With 3 new stadiums why not share the love a bit and make it a timeslot shared between ANZ, Allianz & WSS depending on the best chance of drawing a crowd.

That is more what I was getting at. For the regular season, I did not see why the 4pm Sunday time slot should be exclusively at ANZ.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

The NRL could sell GA "Sydney Sunday" season/10/6/4/2 game passes and split the profit between clubs involved.
Plenty of ways to go about promoting it, offer free/cheap entry to away team members, give a 1/2 game pass to every junior Rugby League player in Sydney or NSW by application. There's plenty of little things to try and get the neutrals in which would be the key to building a crowd culture around the event.

Honestly, if this was the compromise to get the concept over the line, i wouldnt be upset.

But I see 2 big benefits in keeping this as a single venue.

- Homebush precinct would be an opportunity to create a carnival-style event outside. GF day is good fun, but with crowds of 40k, it would probably be profitable to hold it every week. It would finally give fans something they cant get on tv.

- People like doing things they are familiar with. If the location of this keeps changing, fans cannot form the habit of attending. People always bitch about Sydney traffic, so why are forcing fans to figure out how to get to 15 different stadiums across 8 potential timeslots?

Burns

First Grade

Thu - Melbourne/Brisbane

No, ridiculous. Newcastle has played more than it's fair share of 6pm matches this year and last. Just because we have fans that actually attend matches does not mean we should have to burden the most difficult match to attend for Mon-Fri workers.

I'll concede the Warriors as it makes sense in regards to timezone etc, but by the same point, no team should have a mortgage on any one time slot. That is applicable to the Broncos as well - that they had their first Sunday 2pm match for the first time in (three?) years is a scandal.

greenBV4

Bench

Thu - Melbourne/Brisbane
No, ridiculous. Newcastle has played more than it's fair share of 6pm matches this year and last. Just because we have fans that actually attend matches does not mean we should have to burden the most difficult match to attend for Mon-Fri workers.

I'll concede the Warriors as it makes sense in regards to timezone etc, but by the same point, no team should have a mortgage on any one time slot.

So Melbourne can only ever play games on a Thursday? You'd be killing the game in an expansion area. Every now and then a Thursday night is do-able, but if that is the only choice people will eventually just stop going.

Why should the rest of the competition have to bend over backwards to try and find a way for Sydneysiders to get off their couches... All you would be doing is making the "National" part of NRL even more of a joke

jim_57

Staff member
That is more what I was getting at. For the regular season, I did not see why the 4pm Sunday time slot should be exclusively at ANZ.

Switching between the 3 new Sydney stadiums would be the way to go, most weeks only have the one Sunday afternoon game in Sydney and have the 2pm and occasional 6pm slot spread around all other cities involved in the comp.

The NRL may have to make it 'worth the while' to get some clubs to try and switch venues to ensure we have the biggest games every week. Clubs like Sharks, Penrith & Dragons may never agree to switch but that is fine too they'd just have to settle for not getting a cut if the concept proves a success/profitable.

siv

First Grade
My thoughts here is you avoid AFL clashes and make Thu night a RL event night in Melbourne

I was actually so surprised at how popular 6pm in Newcastle was. I think it has a lot to do with the 16-24 age crowd - that can go and travel home or go out afterwards

But the process here is to make footy a regular event at a location

greenBV4

Bench
My thoughts here is you avoid AFL clashes and make Thu night a RL event night in Melbourne

I was actually so surprised at how popular 6pm in Newcastle was. I think it has a lot to do with the 16-24 age crowd - that can go and travel home or go out afterwards

But the process here is to make footy a regular event at a location
I get where you are coming from but Thursday night is crap, especially if you are trying to get kids interested - AFL doesn't effect Storm crowds as much as Thursday nights only would

Im on board with the Sydney Sundays though, but maybe with an extra Sunday day game added so other teams don't miss out, one can go to fox and the other to 9, they can bid on who gets what game

Perth Red

Post Whore

Probably because it’s size means that you could grow the doors open to any ticketed member of any club and be confident of seating those that turned up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Alternate Friday 8pm games between allianz and wss
Sunday 4pm anz

16 games in NZ a year in the 6pm aest slot

jim_57

Staff member
I get where you are coming from but Thursday night is crap, especially if you are trying to get kids interested - AFL doesn't effect Storm crowds as much as Thursday nights only would

Im on board with the Sydney Sundays though, but maybe with an extra Sunday day game added so other teams don't miss out, one can go to fox and the other to 9, they can bid on who gets what game
29e2jqu.jpg

29e2jqu.jpg