What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Auckland’s stadium situation is largely a legacy of the old council system when the city was run by 4 councils (Auckland, North Shore, Waitakere, Manukau) plus the regional council which basically did roads, rail and ports, so getting big stadium projects publicly funded was next to impossible as none of the councils wanted to pay for anything in other council areas and th ARC had no interest in giving up port land. The creation of the new Super City council largely fixed that but the current situation with stadiums is largely a consequence of it. The national government was prepared to chip in a substantial amount for a waterfront stadium before the 2011 RWC but it never happened largely due to all the competing interests at the time.
One issue with the waterfront stadium proposal is a lack of available space- the Port of Auckland takes up most of it and can’t be moved anywhere else due to lack of suitable options. The “partially submerged” option (it wasn’t really submerged, the proposal was essentially to reclaim an area of harbour with the pitch surface sitting below sea level, which would’ve saved a lot on earthmoving and construction costs as well as obstructing views less) was actually a pretty good answer to that,
Of the existing stadia none of them really work as a first class stadium, Mt Smart is basically just a decent suburban/regional ground parked in an industrial area 10km from the CBD, Eden Park is more central but too compromised by needing to accomodate cricket and is in the middle of a residential neighbourhood, and North Shore/QBE stadium is stuck way up at the northern end of the city and only really has one good stand.
Carlaw would’ve been a near ideal location but that ship sailed a decade or so back when the ARL sold it off unfortunately (would’ve needed a rebuild from scratch too, it was super run-down, made Brookvale look state of the art).

greenBV4

Bench
not "future" but wasn't sure where else to put it

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 8.37.15 pm.png

What are people thoughts on AAMI park being the "best mid-sized" and "best NRL" stadium in 2018?

beave

Coach
not "future" but wasn't sure where else to put it

View attachment 26301

What are people thoughts on AAMI park being the "best mid-sized" and "best NRL" stadium in 2018?

Can’t argue with it really. Robina is great as well, just not much around it for pre and post match clowning. Will be a different story once WSS and NQ come online over the next 2 years though, they’ll be on par with AAMI most likely.

King hit

Coach
Can’t argue with it really. Robina is great as well, just not much around it for pre and post match clowning. Will be a different story once WSS and NQ come online over the next 2 years though, they’ll be on par with AAMI most likely.

I've been thinking about going to a game there just to see what the stadium is like. Was it hard to get to get to? I hear a lot of people complaining about the lack of public transport to the ground.

azza29

Juniors
I've been thinking about going to a game there just to see what the stadium is like. Was it hard to get to get to? I hear a lot of people complaining about the lack of public transport to the ground.
To Robina or AAMI? Both are a 5 minute walk from a train station, AAMI also has tram options or short walk from the city. Plenty of extra buses in the GC on Robina event days as well.

beave

Coach
I've been to Robina a handful of times and never had a problem with transport to or from.

Bit surprised to see AAMI get the gong over Suncorp for Best NRL Stadium though. Maybe they deducted points because when you go there you have to watch the Broncos.

‘best mid-sized stadium’ mate.......

If it was for the stadium with the ‘biggest bunch of self entitled f**kwits within’ then yes, Suncorp wins hands down......

Canard

Immortal
To Robina or AAMI? Both are a 5 minute walk from a train station, AAMI also has tram options or short walk from the city. Plenty of extra buses in the GC on Robina event days as well.

If your staying in Broadbeach, Surfers etc getting to Robina can be a shit. It's a 45min bus ride or worse with a bigger crowd. Sucks balls after the match.

It's like they located the stadium to suit out of towners.

beave

Coach
No offence but to me it just strikes me of classic Victorian syndrome. They always have to be better then the world. Suncorp is by far the best rugby ground in Australia.

best ‘mid sized stadium’, I don’t think Suncorp is classified as a ‘mid size’ stadium mate.