What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

No they weren't, there was a huge push to change their plans from many parts of the public. They were getting smashed in the media over the plan. They could very easily said that they have listened to the public and will not be going ahead with the plans!

They probably could’ve pulled out of the ANZ refurb, but the planning for Allianz was too far along. The clubs had sought alternative arrangements for the 3 years, they’d been negotiating compensation packages, bookings for the stadium had been stopped, architects engaged etc.

But the problem for the govt was if they pulled out of doing ANZ and only done Allianz, it would’ve looked like they were favouring the east.

I suspect as well that the govt had done polling on the stadiums. Whilst there was a big public push against the builds, it turned out in the exit polls on Election Day the spend was a pretty small issue.

Admittedly it would’ve taken courage for the NRL to take this stance, but I don’t think the NSW govt would’ve been vindictive to the point of canceling an $800m project over a couple of grand finals.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
I think it’s all just a negotiation tactic.

As far as I know. (I’m happy to be told otherwise) This nsw stadium spend is for 3 codes not just the NRL. My understanding was that The initial memorandum with the nrl was for a new Allianz, and ANZ with ANZ being done first. And 1gf being played in nsw before Allianz is finished then back at anz the year after. If that plan was to happen the nsw gov would get the 25yrs of gfs.

Now since then the nrl has had the goal posts moved by the nsw gov. ANZ is now being refurbed instead and being done well after Allianz. Should the nrl just cope that sweet?

This leads me back to the negotiations...
Nothing was agreed to in regards to the second gf. Hence the nrl has left it open. And in my opinion should have it at suncorp. Which will be the year before a Brisbane 2 team is added. Good on the nrl to not bow down to the nsw gov. They wanted us to renegotiate the MOU to suit there election needs. It seems fair that they come to the table to suit the nrl needs doesn’t it?

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
And if the nsw gov wants to call the nrls bluff...... they will have to start paying for the gf instead. Brisbane could get the olympics in 2032 and I’m sure the qld gov would like tenants at the potential new Olympic stadium they are proposing.

Vee

First Grade
Qland Govt got magic weekend as compensation. Nsw Govt gets to keep gf’s, nrl gets some major stadium improvements in its key market, origin is on the road giving other cities chance to buy nrl big events. Normally I’m critical of most things nrlhq but they seem to have handled this very well and everyone is happy.
What part of GFs at the SCG is everyone happy about?

Suitman

Post Whore
Townsville coming along nicely.....

XWXNB6E.jpg

King hit

Coach
Just heard the podcast of Tallis going on about the NRL grand final being at the SCG and being called out.

What a moron he is

Lambretta

First Grade
What constitutes the end of the world for you blokes is a mere inconvenience for most sensible people.

I support the Roosters. We're playing at the SCG week in week out.

The SCG is a garbage stadium to watch Rugby League at and shouldn't be used for regular season games, let alone finals. How they think this is suitable for a Grand Final is utterly beyond me.

Is it the end of the World? No. Any sensible person will just watch on tv and let some other mug pay over inflated prices for a sub par experience

What annoys me is that in Brisbane we have a stadium with a similar capacity that offers a much better viewing experience.

We should offer the Grand Final to Brisbane and Melbourne at a price and then offer it to Brisbane, bank the cash and enjoy the Grand Final properly .

kbw

Bench
I went out to the BankWest Stadium the other week. IT looks good on TV but it is 10x better in real life.
They certainly got it right. I didn't get to get the view from the stands as I was working with a HArvey norman team but the atmosphere was terrific

Edited to say spelling the name incorrectly was a senior moment and not intentional

Last edited:

Diesel

Referee
Triple M Brisbane reporting a consortium with Suncorp Stadium is going after the 2021 GF. The way the NSW Govt pissed around pre-election, the NRL should’ve made a decision for any GF while ANZ was under construction be held interstate. It’s not just RL that benefits from a rectangular stadium, but it’s RL that’s laying down and taking it without lube

Timbo

Staff member
Triple M Brisbane reporting a consortium with Suncorp Stadium is going after the 2021 GF. The way the NSW Govt pissed around pre-election, the NRL should’ve made a decision for any GF while ANZ was under construction be held interstate. It’s not just RL that benefits from a rectangular stadium, but it’s RL that’s laying down and taking it without lube

They can do whatever they want. But I reckon the bulldozers won't turn up at ANZ for the re-model until the NRL signs on the line saying that the interim grand finals are at the SCG/SFS.

taipan

Referee

Surely Gallop in his usual dominanto_O manner, could do some fist thumping and demand rectangular stadiums be given priority. But then again, when you get a lot of umm and aaghing ,you may as well be on another planet, such is the impact.

Latest posts