What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Frailty

First Grade
Looking at the supporters going to Souths games many are coming in from the west

Looking at the supporters going to Souths games many are coming in from the west of Homebush. I’d like to see the actual figures.

a trip via public transport to the SFS from the west would be close to 2 hours

I really can’t see us moving from Homebush

A train from Penrith to Central is 1 hour. It doesn't take an additional hour to go from central to Moore Park.

siv

First Grade
A train from Penrith to Central is 1 hour. It doesn't take an additional hour to go from central to Moore Park.

Penrith isnt considered regional

Blue Mtns, CC-Newcastle or Wollongong

A trip to Wyong this week is listed as 2.5h at the close if the game. Plus the 20 min walk

Timbo

Staff member

A trip to Wyong this week is listed as 2.5h at the close if the game. Plus the 20 min walk

To be fair Wyong doesn't normally take that long, they're doing repairs on the cables between Gosford and Hornsby so the trains aren't running.

siv

First Grade
To be fair Wyong doesn't normally take that long, they're doing repairs on the cables between Gosford and Hornsby so the trains aren't running.

But almost every weekend and lots of afyer hours is trackwork on the CC

Regional supporters never have a issue to get to the game

Its the trip home that is always the issue

Frailty

First Grade

To be fair, the reply was to a comment saying 'West of Homebush'.

For comparisons in Victoria (going home):

Geelong

Friday & Saturday night (1 hour trip) and runs every 45 minutes

Bendigo
Friday & Saturday night (1hr 50min) and runs every hour - unless you miss the 10:25pm on Saturday, in which case its an 1.5 wait.

Ballarat
Friday & Saturday night (1hr 20-30min) and runs every hour

Seymour
Friday nights (1hr 20mins) and usually every hour - except between 9:50pm and 11:45pm. There is a coach bus at 10:50pm that will take 1hr 50mins.
Saturday nights (1hr 20mins) and runs every 2 hours after 8pm.

Traralgon - Currently serviced by coaches
Friday nights (2hr 10mins) and runs around every hour.
Saturday nights (2hr 10mins) and has runs at 9:35pm, 11:05pm, and 12:05am.

Turns out living in regional areas sucks for attending sporting events in cities.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm not sure driving into the centre of any city from a far flung regional centre is going to take much less time than the train, its why very few do it!
Its more the majority of the attending fanbase that live within one hour of the stadium, the easier to get in on public transport the more people will attend. I live 30kms from Optus and can do it door to door in 35mins on one bus and one train with travel inc in ticket price. Too easy, amazing what you can achieve if you plan it well and make decisions with best interest of the public at the centre!

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors

Firstly, people have to get to the station at Penrith and then manage to find a park. It’s not unrealistic to allow 15 to 20 minutes

pending on the time & day it can take over and hour for the train

Transit NSW site says the metro to Moore Park is 15 to 20 minutes

conservatively that’s an hour and 40 minutes.....if all goes well. We are talking NSW transport here:eek:

Now, we can quibble over a few minutes here and there but that’s a deterrent to most people I would suggest

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
How many souths fans are travelling from Penrith?

The club did release those figures sometime in the past.

as I said, it was just an observation seeing the traffic getting to the stadium off the motorways.
Many comments on Souths forums about folks wo get to the game from all over Sydney

I think it’s fair to say, we have the most widespread support

bazza

Immortal
nobody loves their cars like perth people! But govt decided from day one it would not give people the option. They then choose the site and built the public transport infrastructure so it wasn’t needed. One of the few very very smart things I’ve seen a state govt do!
From my understanding are Perth suburban train stations mainly park and ride type facilities rather than being located in town centres?
This would facilitate driving to a nearby station and getting the train to the stadium

bazza

Immortal
I think the Rabbitohs are locked in long term with ANZ Stadium so I don't think it will be happening anytime soon (as much as I'd like it to happen).

It also won't happen under current management of the SCG Trust.
After the rebuilds will the main stadiums (Parra, Moore Park and Homebush) be managed by the same NSW government agency?
If so, then Souths should be able to get similar terms playing at Moore Park as Homebush

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
After the rebuilds will the main stadiums (Parra, Moore Park and Homebush) be managed by the same NSW government agency?
If so, then Souths should be able to get similar terms playing at Moore Park as Homebush

not sure Bazza.
I suspect the SCG trust will still operate Moore Park

Perth Red

Post Whore
From my understanding are Perth suburban train stations mainly park and ride type facilities rather than being located in town centres?
This would facilitate driving to a nearby station and getting the train to the stadium

There is limited parking available at most of them, but we have an excellent bus system that links up with the train stations. So I can jump on a bus at end of my road that goes to nearest train station then straight line to the stadium for special events. It helps that the city is largely linear in its geography but the choice of stadium location along with spend on transport infrastructure to it has allowed it to not require you to drive to it. For example the northern line I live on you couldnt get to Burswood where stadium is without changing in the city but they altered the line so special event trains can now go directly there. Given there's a 3/4million people live within access of this line its a massive difference.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Govt was keen to do this but I think they backed down and SCG trust will still run Moore park sadly.

wazdog

Juniors
Govt was keen to do this but I think they backed down and SCG trust will still run Moore park sadly.

Yep the SCGT will continue to run Allianz and the SCG.

Venues NSW runs WSS, ANZ Stadium, McDonald Jones Stadium and NBN Stadium. They really should be merged, there's no value in having two bodies. Although Alan Jones claim is that they do it for free...

Christ this thread is sooky.

When the thing's finally built and everyone's loving it, no one except a few people looking to score a political point in the next election is going to remember minor delays or typical budget blowouts.
And when it's packed out for finals, Anzac day, Socceroos games, Wallabies games, etc, no one will be wishing it's smaller.

If they actually spent the little bit extra to make two modes, like they promised they would, then 45k wouldn’t be as bigger deal. (Although still a waste of money in my view)

All these packed games you talk about will amount to 2-3 a year, you don’t design stadiums for that.

As for your point about it being similar for ANZ only having a few big events, this isn’t the case. ANZ gets a lot more concerts booked at it than Allianz does.

I think you will find that South Sydney will start to play some if not all of their games out of the new Eastern Stadium. They would be financially insane not to. As for the Dogs, if they aren't getting the financial gift inducement that they are currently guaranteed for playing there, watch how they too will start looking to find a better home.

They’ve been very strong in saying they won’t, their home is Olympic Park.

Latest posts