What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

unforgiven

Bench
But there is in Manly? or Liverpool (where there are no teams)?
Where have I supported a stadium in Manly? Though I'm sure the Waratahs would like to play some games there. I believe that Liverpool would have at least 2 tenants and probably 3.

So a women’s team that attracts very few spectators would have meant a stadium in Penrith?

Sorry but your reasoning on a new stadium at Penrith is specious.

Firstly stadiums are not built because of juniors. Nowhere in the western world do Governments build state of the art stadiums which seats 20k+ people for junior sport. They might in the US for college sport, but considering the money spent in US college sport, and the fact colleges there are private entities with a fair bit of money, and they earn heaps of money from tickets/televising of those games, it is not really comparable with junior rugby league.

Secondly the "discrimination" claim. Really? Are you for real?! If you want to run that argument then just about every suburb in the Sydney Metropolitan area could make a similar claim, as could just about every town and city in the state of New South Wales. You build facilities where the demand is greatest, so I'm sorry but how many professional sporting teams which would use such a facility play games at Penrith? Only the Penrith Panthers.

You mention why is Liverpool getting a stadium? Well the Bulldogs would probably play out of it (they won't get funding to upgrade Belmore), the Wests Tigers would consider playing there, and there is a new A-League team Macarthur FC joining the A-League next season who will be looking for a ground to play at.

Finally the argument about a WNRL team has some merit as the Panthers could have argued that funding is needed for the stadium so they have enough change rooms for when both women's and men's teams platy at the ground on the same day. It is one of the arguments which was used for the SFS (and a number of WNRL players mentioned about how when they played there on days when NRL games were on, they had to use the change rooms at the SCG.

Quicksilver

Bench
A new stadium might not be necessary, but you could spend a modest amount of money, add some new stands and have a pretty good stadium anyway. Same goes for a few other venues.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
An upgraded North Sydney is a good idea.
Souths at Parra stadium is a terrible idea.
And Penrith stadium upgrades is an awful idea.
But a new joint stadium for Dragons and Sharks is the worst idea since my relocatable stadiums idea this morning.

I would prefer upgrades to Newcastle and Wollongong. Sick of the NSW government spending all the $ in Sydney.

Like I've said before mate, some of your ideas hit the mark and some don't but your always an outside the box thinker ;)

Bankwest is 20 mins from ANZ and I'd much rather see clubs remove themselves from ANZ as a club venue, hence the suggestion that Souths play there closer to their Western Sydney fans (which we are told are where the majority of their fans are). I think Bankwest is a better fit for them than ANZ or the proposed Liverpool Stadium. The other option would be a return to the SFS but they seem to be settled in the west now.

I agree with the sentiment on here that a Penrith upgrade for one tennant doesn't make sense but as a game we need to solve the Penrith and Manly stadium problem. I agree with your thoughts on a Penrith WNRL team which might have helped. Maybe the NRL could help get it accross the line by making it the Sydney home of the Jillaroos and NSW Women's SOO team also.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Like I've said before mate, some of your ideas hit the mark and some don't but your always an outside the box thinker ;)

Bankwest is 20 mins from ANZ and I'd much rather see clubs remove themselves from ANZ as a club venue, hence the suggestion that Souths play there closer to their Western Sydney fans (which we are told are where the majority of their fans are). I think Bankwest is a better fit for them than ANZ or the proposed Liverpool Stadium. The other option would be a return to the SFS but they seem to be settled in the west now.

I agree with the sentiment on here that a Penrith upgrade for one tennant doesn't make sense but as a game we need to solve the Penrith and Manly stadium problem. I agree with your thoughts on a Penrith WNRL team which might have helped. Maybe the NRL could help get it accross the line by making it the Sydney home of the Jillaroos and NSW Women's SOO team also.

Penrith would seem obvious for a stand by stand upgrade approach. Might take 20 years but eventually they'll get there. Its hard to see the NSW govt building a $200mill new stadium on council owned space for one tenant unless there were political motivations for the region.
Manly ground is so bad cant see anything but a full new stadium but again its hardly justified and seems safe seat area so no political motivation to help them out. Out of the box maybe they need to work with a more proactive council that wants them to do atht residential style development with new stadium somewhere else in the northern suburbs.

Looking at penrith the stand roofs dont cover much seating, corporate facilities eem very limited, the pitch of the seats seems pretty low and then theres just grass hill ends. The revenue is in corporate sales so maybe the left stand should be priority with new corporate seats and better coverage. Then the ends and finally the new main right stand with better roof coverage. Still looking at $300mill to do that but at least can be spread out over 20 years or so.

maxresdefault.jpg

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
The ‘tENanT’ argument is a vague argument for economic benefit, which has already been destroyed by the government’s own economic studies into the stadiums.

They’re being built for social benefit. That’s the purpose. Building Liverpool because ANZ has too many seats and Parra is too far away despite a 26 billion dollar metro link making the trip just five minutes longer is pure decadence.

You can argue semantics with who’s moving games where but all it’s doing is cutting into the events at ANZ and Bankwest. Just in the same way BankWest is doing to ANZ.

TheRam

Coach
It was just another one of the blunders Phil Gould made when in charge of Penrith that he apposed a Penrith WNRL team for no good reason except that he is a backwards knuckle dragger.
The NRL were begging for a western WNRL team and Parra and Penrith said no. In Parra's case at least they already had the upgrades to the stadium they wanted.
If Penrith could argue that they have women's team that they need the government to get behind they would probably get their upgrades.
Gould really missed the boat here.

Parramatta will have a WNRL team in 2022 as stated by their CEO.

unforgiven

Bench
The ‘tENanT’ argument is a vague argument for economic benefit, which has already been destroyed by the government’s own economic studies into the stadiums.

They’re being built for social benefit. That’s the purpose. Building Liverpool because ANZ has too many seats and Parra is too far away despite a 26 billion dollar metro link making the trip just five minutes longer is pure decadence.

You can argue semantics with who’s moving games where but all it’s doing is cutting into the events at ANZ and Bankwest. Just in the same way BankWest is doing to ANZ.

Bankwest and ANZ are for 2 separate purposes, it is simple Penrith wouldn't get enough use to justify a new stadium. There would be a social benefit to 15k people.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Whilst stadiums dont return profits as a rule (hence why very few private investors build them) you'd still want as much ROI as possible to pay for upkeep and get something back. You cant say that getting an extra $2mill plus a year from 30 games as opposed to 10 isnt a consideration.

ANZ isnt fit for purpose for NRL club games, it is detrimental to the fan experience. Looking like Bankwest will soon have about as many games a year on it as you'd want with Eels, Tigers some games, Doggies some games, Wanderers, and maybe WNRL plus what ever other finals, union games etc gets played there. There can be little argument against two more Bankwests for Sydney as long as they used by at least 2-3 tenants each.

unforgiven

Bench
Penrith would seem obvious for a stand by stand upgrade approach. Might take 20 years but eventually they'll get there. Its hard to see the NSW govt building a $200mill new stadium on council owned space for one tenant unless there were political motivations for the region.
Manly ground is so bad cant see anything but a full new stadium but again its hardly justified and seems safe seat area so no political motivation to help them out. Out of the box maybe they need to work with a more proactive council that wants them to do atht residential style development with new stadium somewhere else in the northern suburbs.

Looking at penrith the stand roofs dont cover much seating, corporate facilities eem very limited, the pitch of the seats seems pretty low and then theres just grass hill ends. The revenue is in corporate sales so maybe the left stand should be priority with new corporate seats and better coverage. Then the ends and finally the new main right stand with better roof coverage. Still looking at $300mill to do that but at least can be spread out over 20 years or so.

View attachment 40891
To be honest, the stand on the right needs to be done 1st, the one on the left is relatively new and has decent corporate facilities including a large function room that overlooks the ground. The stand on the right also has a number of corporate boxes that are old and out of date.

The priority for Penrith should be that eastern stand.

franklin2323

Immortal
Bankwest and ANZ are for 2 separate purposes, it is simple Penrith wouldn't get enough use to justify a new stadium. There would be a social benefit to 15k people.

By the time this is started in 10 years time. There will be another 1m people out here... part of the planning will be entertainment.

That is where the new stadium will come in. Sport will be a small part of it. As all of these will be

franklin2323

Immortal
Whilst stadiums dont return profits as a rule (hence why very few private investors build them) you'd still want as much ROI as possible to pay for upkeep and get something back. You cant say that getting an extra $2mill plus a year from 30 games as opposed to 10 isnt a consideration.

ANZ isnt fit for purpose for NRL club games, it is detrimental to the fan experience. Looking like Bankwest will soon have about as many games a year on it as you'd want with Eels, Tigers some games, Doggies some games, Wanderers, and maybe WNRL plus what ever other finals, union games etc gets played there. There can be little argument against two more Bankwests for Sydney as long as they used by at least 2-3 tenants each.

Tenants doesn't matter it is events. You get 20-30 uses out of these all will be fine