What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cronulla just needs a western stand redevelopment (ie like Wollongong) and make it stretch the entire western side.
Isnt that where the CofE building is going? Has it been started yet? If notthen there may be opportunity to incorproate it into a bigger main stand I suppose, if theres room?
If not (theyve had the grant a while but needed to match the $8mill) then yes a new main stand along that side is the obvious upgrade needed. Im guessing the development of the grass hill end might be scuppered by the overhead power lines? Not much you can do on LC side now as the buildings have filled in the end gaps.

shark park.jpg

Last edited:

beave

Coach
Yeah the side opposite to the Leagues club.

I am 100% for the development and what they've done around shark park, but f**k me they could have integrated the buildings into the stadium a bit better.

Croz Au

Juniors
Isnt that where the CofE building is going? Has it been started yet? If notthen there may be opportunity to incorproate it into a bigger main stand I suppose, if theres room?
If not (theyve had the grant a while but needed to match the $8mill) then yes a new main stand along that side is the obvious upgrade needed. Im guessing the development of the grass hill end might be scuppered by the overhead power lines? Not much you can do on LC side now as the buildings have filled in the end gaps.

View attachment 56327
COE is for connects southern and ET stands

Perth Red

Post Whore
The COE basically makes a brand new and extended ET grandstand along the length of the field and connecting to the Monty Porter stand.
Is it extension of the stand with the CofE behind it or just the building filling in the space? Hopefully its the first or thats three pieces of prime spectator space now taken up with buildings.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Is it extension of the stand with the CofE behind it or just the building filling in the space? Hopefully its the first or thats three pieces of prime spectator space now taken up with buildings.
My understanding is the centre of excellence is underneath the new extended grandstand in the south western corner. New entrance incorporated as well.

Croz Au

Juniors
Yes that's what I thought, impacting the ability to build a major new stand along that side unless theres room to build it behind that section?
Heaps of room in that area.
Behind is a drive way, old change rooms, media room.
plus you have food and beverage, kiosk, gates, but all that was incorporated in the design. Only issue would be the creek, however I think there was re-mediation work on it several yrs back after that big storm that hit Sydney .

Perth Red

Post Whore
My understanding is the centre of excellence is underneath the new extended grandstand in the south western corner. New entrance incorporated as well.
Thats positive, I feared it would be like the opposite corner and filled with a building leading to no significant increase in undercover seating. Its hard to tell from the various pics that have put out over the last few years. I wonder if they will look to upgrade the current grass hill terracing plan with a proper stand if they get the Govt funding?
According to Aus stadiums there's only 11k seats and probably only half of them undercover. No where near enough for a modern stadium.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Thats positive, I feared it would be like the opposite corner and filled with a building leading to no significant increase in undercover seating. Its hard to tell from the various pics that have put out over the last few years. I wonder if they will look to upgrade the current grass hill terracing plan with a proper stand if they get the Govt funding?
According to Aus stadiums there's only 11k seats and probably only half of them undercover. No where near enough for a modern stadium.
Guess it depends on how much money is forthcoming…. Good thing is there’s some pretty astute businessman in the top office for the first time in Sharks history. Sure they will make the most of whatever the grant may be.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Doesn't matter how many times the Tigers get Leichhardt Oval jammed pack in a year, its well known and been stated by various administrations of the Tigers that they all but lose money playing there. Leichhardt Oval has zilch in terms of corporate faciulities, and corporates won't pay big bucks to sit in narrow seated aisles, with an esky next to them and some half warm meat pies in a warmer.

Completely demolish the Latchem Robinson stand and build a modern grandstand with great corporate facilities, they have the room on the western side, the stand there was built in the late 70s and is past its use by date (a bit like the ground itself really). I would love to see a big modern grandstand there on the Western side with great corporate facilities and also the hill on the Eastern side, a sort of nod to the future while still having its past.

A good mate of mine is on the board of UTS ( was the vice chancellor years ago ) and goes to all the Tigers home games, he say the Bank West facilities are phenomenal but as a spectacle he prefers the game day experience at Leichhardt as you are so close to the play even if the corporate facilities are totally sub standard.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
Penrith, Manly, Cronulla and Leichhardt etc should and will get money before Hunter will.

Not saying it shouldn’t but it’s far from a priority compared to the others.

It’s not just about capacity it’s about making as many stadiums as enjoyable and able to meet needs like womens changerooms , corporate facilities etc.
I disagree. Newcastle getting a world class rectangular stadium should be much higher priority than yet another suburb in sydney getting one.
It is a crime for the state in terms of tourism etc (remembering that the state is not just Sydney) that Hunter stadium is not selected as a ground for the women's soccer world cup when Newcastle is clearly the best supporter base town of the matildas in the whole country.
Tourists out here for the world cup should have been spending 4 nights in sydney and then 2 nights in Newy then if they want going to Melbourne or Perth. It should be the same for the Rugby World cup.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Guess it depends on how much money is forthcoming…. Good thing is there’s some pretty astute businessman in the top office for the first time in Sharks history. Sure they will make the most of whatever the grant may be.
Replacing that stand with something similar to what we got at HBF would be ideal, though it doesnt really cater for corporates, maybe the grass hill replacement could do that better? Ours cost around $60-70mill inc all the outlets, toilets etc. Seats around 10,000 with 80% undercover. Steep as which makes for great viewing close to the action from any seat. We built the South stand for a further $15mill without a roof though designed to take one in future upgrades. Seats further 4,000 or so. So for $70-80mill you could get 14,000 seats with around 8.000 of them undercover. HBF was very similar to shark park with the lower bowl of seats in place, they left them there and just added the new stands behind them. Chuck in new pitch, change rooms, big screens etc and $125mill which is what HBF park costs should be close.

East & South stand

slide-nib-stadium (1).jpg

beave

Coach
Replacing that stand with something similar to what we got at HBF would be ideal, though it doesnt really cater for corporates, maybe the grass hill replacement could do that better? Ours cost around $60-70mill inc all the outlets, toilets etc. Seats around 10,000 with 80% undercover. Steep as which makes for great viewing close to the action from any seat. We built the South stand for a further $15mill without a roof though designed to take one in future upgrades. Seats further 4,000 or so. So for $70-80mill you could get 14,000 seats with around 8.000 of them undercover. HBF was very similar to shark park with the lower bowl of seats in place, they left them there and just added the new stands behind them. Chuck in new pitch, change rooms, big screens etc and $125mill which is what HBF park costs should be close.

East & South stand

View attachment 56330
Again for Leichardt, I reckon the Wollongong western would be ideal to be built on that side.
There is a bit of real estate around Leichardt if you wanted to actually build something a bit more substantial but the greenies won't like
the trees being cut down and the lack of close public transport make it a pain in the ass joint to get to as a spectator.
images

AdelaideSharky

Juniors

East & South stand

View attachment 56330
HBF Park looks like Coopers Stadium here in Adelaide.

Only difference is the green seats and the old stand where the Glory Shed is.

ground zero

Juniors

View attachment 56327
All those units an nowhere to park. Wait till the new nimbys move in an start complaining about noise an drunken shire louts on game day.

Tiger Shark

Bench
All those units an nowhere to park. Wait till the new nimbys move in an start complaining about noise an drunken shire louts on game day.
It'll be what 12 or 13 times a year, with the noise gone by 9:30(ish) at the latest. Doubt they'll be much cause for noise complaints but you never know these days.

I do believe that there was some stipulation in the contracts that buyers/tenants are aware that they're living next to a stadium and there's noise. Trying to avoid the ridiculous situation where 100year old pubs close down due to noise complaints from 2 yr old apartments.

Tiger Shark

Bench
I disagree. Newcastle getting a world class rectangular stadium should be much higher priority than yet another suburb in sydney getting one.
It is a crime for the state in terms of tourism etc (remembering that the state is not just Sydney) that Hunter stadium is not selected as a ground for the women's soccer world cup when Newcastle is clearly the best supporter base town of the matildas in the whole country.
Tourists out here for the world cup should have been spending 4 nights in sydney and then 2 nights in Newy then if they want going to Melbourne or Perth. It should be the same for the Rugby World cup.
I don't know that stadium is pretty damn good as it is. It's not in dire need like other stadiums.

Whether you agree or disagree Newcastle is not on the priority list. It's other stadiums turn.

It'll be what 12 or 13 times a year, with the noise gone by 9:30(ish) at the latest. Doubt they'll be much cause for noise complaints but you never know these days.

I do believe that there was some stipulation in the contracts that buyers/tenants are aware that they're living next to a stadium and there's noise. Trying to avoid the ridiculous situation where 100year old pubs close down due to noise complaints from 2 yr old apartments.

Wanna bet? How many people moved into residences around/nearby the Old Showground/SCG/SFS area and yet still complained about the noise from events at those venues? It's why there was a noise curfew of 10.00 pm promulgated for many years at those venues which is why many of bands who could fill venues of that size would not play gigs there.

Last edited:

yadamisha

Juniors
Not including the designated car parks for each unit, there are over extra 700 car spaces for the leagues club and shopping centre alone.................... As for noise complaints/game day - what has changed? Plus its a clause in the purchase agreements and most of the sales have been to shire locals who more likely support the team. Another ill informed comment.

Latest posts