What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again that the sharks, dragons and steelers should have all merged to form a behemoth called the St Illawarra sharks.

This also would have left 2 places available for expansion sides in Perth, NZ, Adelaide and Brisbane etc.
How about we merge Sunderland & Newcastle then?

Like we saw with the Northern Eagles disaster merging teams who are sworn enemies do not work.

Valheru

Coach
What they should be doing using the excitement and hype of a new stadium to drive memberships like fc are doing. Even if they only play one game this season they should still be using this once in a generation opportunity. Get creative about how they can drive memberships this year by using the stadium in 23. Ie get a full adult 22 membership and you will get a free kids membership for 23 when we move into the stadium, or buy a 22 membership and have first pick of seats for 23, or buy a 22 membership and get a free mates pass for our last game of the season at the new stadium or any one of a hundred different marketing opportunities!
Most Nrl clubs are either clueless or lazy, it’s hard to know which.
Yeah let's give away free tickets for the potential opening of the brand new stadium against souths which will probably draw a sell out anyways

Top idea.

Colk

First Grade

Like we saw with the Northern Eagles disaster merging teams who are sworn enemies do not work.

I never really understood the idea of mergers. It was such an ill conceived idea. The only one that made any sort of sense to me was St George and Illawarra (and that was a takeover anyway).

You either relocate teams or kill them off

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah let's give away free tickets for the potential opening of the brand new stadium against souths which will probably draw a sell out anyways

Top idea.
ok well use one of the other hundred possible marketing ideas to take this opportunity then lol.

The Great Dane

First Grade
ok well use one of the other hundred possible marketing ideas to take this opportunity then lol.
Wouldn't be an issue if the clubs invested in basic marketing practices, but they seem to refuse to.

They're multi-million dollar businesses yet most of them run their marketing and advertising like they are volunteer organisations, it's crazy.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wouldn't be an issue if the clubs invested in basic marketing practices, but they seem to refuse to.

They're multi-million dollar businesses yet most of them run their marketing and advertising like they are volunteer organisations, it's crazy.
There seemingly remains a large gap between running a commercially successful business and running a football club for a lot of NRL teams. Marketing is one of the most obvious areas of this. They do little for customer attraction beyond thinking they just need to win a premiership. Many have leant heavily on revenue from other sources to paper over the losses they make as a football club. It hasn't helped them in the long term become independently sustainable. Despite the NRL grant doubling in the last few years not many clubs are profitable on football club operations alone. And woe betide if they have a bad year on the field or lose a sponsor.

There seemingly remains a large gap between running a commercially successful business and running a football club for a lot of NRL teams. Marketing is one of the most obvious areas of this. They do little for customer attraction beyond thinking they just need to win a premiership. Many have leant heavily on revenue from other sources to paper over the losses they make as a football club. It hasn't helped them in the long term become independently sustainable. Despite the NRL grant doubling in the last few years not many clubs are profitable on football club operations alone. And woe betide if they have a bad year on the field or lose a sponsor.
Would it help if clubs formed closer ties with universities, TAFEs and and high schools within their catchment?

Could be a win-win and help the clubs get more uni students going to games. Maybe sell discounted tickets to uni students and make attendance part of the classwork where applicable. If they're studying hospitality and catering then it would be a chance for them to get valuable experience, or have them observe what happens and write an essay on it. A journalism student could be made to write an essay on crowd demographics, culinary habits of spectators and the game itself. Engineering students could write an essay on the stadium design. Sports science and physiotherapy students could be provided with access to observe what happens before, during and after a game For some uni students it might be the first time in their lives at a football game and they might develop a fondness for it.

The more intelligent could be prepared to work as NRL ambassadors and given positions at campuses as lecturers. Having impressionable young uni students being lectured by former NRL players will help change the view that non-RL fans have of the game and possibly make them more open to giving the game a chance.

TheRam

Coach
Would it help if clubs formed closer ties with universities, TAFEs and and high schools within their catchment?

Could be a win-win and help the clubs get more uni students going to games. Maybe sell discounted tickets to uni students and make attendance part of the classwork where applicable. If they're studying hospitality and catering then it would be a chance for them to get valuable experience, or have them observe what happens and write an essay on it. A journalism student could be made to write an essay on crowd demographics, culinary habits of spectators and the game itself. Engineering students could write an essay on the stadium design. Sports science and physiotherapy students could be provided with access to observe what happens before, during and after a game For some uni students it might be the first time in their lives at a football game and they might develop a fondness for it.

The more intelligent could be prepared to work as NRL ambassadors and given positions at campuses as lecturers. Having impressionable young uni students being lectured by former NRL players will help change the view that non-RL fans have of the game and possibly make them more open to giving the game a chance.

All very note worthy, but nothing ever happens.

Perth Red

Post Whore

There should be a big push into Unis at all levels inc club link ups. ARLC should be funding an increased uni RL program and comp across the country and stronger tie ins with the Uni touch footy scene. Like you said getting the top end of town interested in the game before they become CEO's or politicians can only benefit long term

T-Boon

Coach
I reckon if the NRL made a school comp that was 10 games long (streamed like the current schoolboys cup) and relegated SG ball and HM to 3 games and finals the game would grow hugely.
Already kids don't want to give up their weekends to play sport as much as they use to. Get high school RL on friday nights like in the states.

Quidgybo

Bench
I note the roof height of the new Brookvale north stand looks identical to the Ken Arthurson link stand in the far corner. Is there a general height limit on Brookvale Oval? Will any future stands on the west and east sides also be limited to that height?

It looks to me that with the available room on the east and west sides they could easily replicate the facilities at BankWest. But not if the entire site is limited to the height of the last two stands added.

Steel Saints

Juniors
Looking at the new Brookie stand, I don't know how the concrete wall that separates itself from the rest of the joint doesn't impede the views of the punters sitting near it.

View attachment 57621

It actually looks ridiculous tbh.
It might be a continuation where the stand wraps around the corners and heads towards the potential eastern and western grandstands in the future.

beave

Coach
It might be a continuation where the stand wraps around the corners and heads towards the potential eastern and western grandstands in the future.

I think you missed my point mate. Have a look at the seats that are right near it, the view to the field especially looking towards the opposite end, has to be impeded surely?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think you missed my point mate. Have a look at the seats that are right near it, the view to the field especially looking towards the opposite end, has to be impeded surely?
I wonder if its temp support while the structure sets or something? No way you would design a stand with that impeding those sections surely?

forget that just zoomed in and theres steps running down the sides so they must be permanent, how weird!

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors

Why would you need to merge 2 football teams that average 50k and 30k respectively?

sunderland afc average attendance is bigger than the Brisbane broncos and all this whilst they are in the 3rd tier of English footbal.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I wonder if its temp support while the structure sets or something? No way you would design a stand with that impeding those sections surely?

forget that just zoomed in and theres steps running down the sides so they must be permanent, how weird!

You would have to think it would be temporary, other wise it doesn't make sense having seating with obstructed views of the field, does look permanent though.
Mind you the new stand makes the Eastern and Western side look like the run down oval that it is.

Last edited:
Looking at the new Brookie stand, I don't know how the concrete wall that separates itself from the rest of the joint doesn't impede the views of the punters sitting near it.

View attachment 57621

It actually looks ridiculous tbh.
Its not permanent , I can see seats on the other side through it , not sure what it is , but there will probably be a fence there eventually

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe a building/design mistake that needs to be rectified with a see through fence? There is quite a drop down to the steps so will need some retaining structure there.

Latest posts