What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

MugaB

Coach
Cronulla are in East Sydney now? Souths are a western suburbs team now.
What is east sydney anyways, 3 suburbs?, its basically south sydney, and just south of that is botany bay where the sharks are across of, there is no geographical reason "Sydney" needs a "Roosters" team pretending to represent them when we aready have another 8 team spread out in each corner of the city

What is east sydney anyways, 3 suburbs?, its basically south sydney, and just south of that is botany bay where the sharks are across of, there is no geographical reason "Sydney" needs a "Roosters" team pretending to represent them when we aready have another 8 team spread out in each corner of the city

upload_2021-1-12_13-30-13.jpeg

It’s a fair chunk of the city in the east including bits Souths pinched.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Im not talking about the CC ... Im talking about all regional clubs in all codes
Putting other codes aside, for similar/the same reasons as the CC I can't think of any regional markets that could independently support an NRL club that doesn't already have one.
And this assumption that it was all off the back of pokies etc is rubbish

the Raiders were stoney broke in 2003 , bought themselves back off News Ltd for $1 because News deemed them worthless & just wanted to get them off their books , in 2001 or 2 I can't remember when exactly , To the point where David Gallop expressed real concern for their continuing in the comp things were that bad. They had plenty of pokies back then too , didn't prevent them from nearly going under. The business smarts the club showed to get themselves out of trouble & indeed well on top of their finances needs to be recognised & looked at by all clubs not just regional ones.
None of that changes the fact that they used revenue from their leagues clubs to invest in their other businesses, and that without that revenue what they did wouldn't have been possible at the same scale that they achieved it or in the timeframe that they achieved it in.

BTW, the football club was a broke failing business, and if you ignore the investment from News it had been since the early 90s, however the leagues clubs were doing just fine and it's a massive exaggeration to suggest that the Raiders were at risk of folding during the 2000s.

T-Boon

Coach
there is no geographical reason "Sydney" needs a "Roosters" team pretending to represent them when we aready have another 8 team spread out in each corner of the city

The Eastern Suburbs and Northern districts are basically expansion areas for the NRL. It is just Manly is badly located and the Roosters have always been lazy in trying to compete with Rugby and AFL. I think we need better clubs in these areas. The alternative is to just give up entirely on being anything other than dero class.

The Eastern Suburbs and Northern districts are basically expansion areas for the NRL. It is just Manly is badly located and the Roosters have always been lazy in trying to compete with Rugby and AFL. I think we need better clubs in these areas. The alternative is to just give up entirely on being anything other than dero class.
Merge Manly and Easts. Sydney Sea Eagles. Play 3 games at Gosford against low drawing interstate teams.

Putting other codes aside, for similar/the same reasons as the CC I can't think of any regional markets that could independently support an NRL club that doesn't already have one.

None of that changes the fact that they used revenue from their leagues clubs to invest in their other businesses, and that without that revenue what they did wouldn't have been possible at the same scale that they achieved it or in the timeframe that they achieved it in.

BTW, the football club was a broke failing business, and if you ignore the investment from News it had been since the early 90s, however the leagues clubs were doing just fine and it's a massive exaggeration to suggest that the Raiders were at risk of folding during the 2000s.

rubbish
they were in serious trouble , they only had the one leagues club at that point
( maybe they had Mawson too idk ) & it was doing ok only , on top of
no sponsors , no backing .. falling crowds & an inconsistent side on the field & general interest waning

the brumbies were firing
anyone who says they weren't in trouble knows SFA

MugaB

Coach
Wests Tigers already done the heavy lifting, Panthers turn now.
I reckon since the tigers, dogs and eels have been recruiting heavily from the panthers the past few years, its more like we've done fkn plenty of heavy lifting, not sure how much the roosters juniors have been spreading their local talent, but i do agree tigers have been lifting heavy in regards to juniors over the past decade, imagine if they could have kept the bulk of talent thats now in the NRL at other clubs, (tedesco, paps, moses etc)

MugaB

Coach
View attachment 45138

It’s a fair chunk of the city in the east including bits Souths pinched.
Guess again champ, you have only 4 junior clubs. Bondi United, Clovelly Crocodiles, Paddington Colts, St Charles Waverley.
Souths took more than half the area you posted way back in the 50s, all im saying is that you might be a 1st grade success over the years, but really aren't vital to the regions in sydney that are more important if they got moved away from their areas, if the roosters were to move on, souths would just swallow that area up, and there wouldn't be a difference, any other club would leave a sizeable hole
Screenshot_20210113-012355_Samsung Internet.jpg
images.jpeg-43.jpg

Last edited:
Guess again champ, you have only 4 junior clubs. Bondi United, Clovelly Crocodiles, Paddington Colts, St Charles Waverley.
Souths took more than half the area you posted way back in the 50s, all im saying is that you might be a 1st grade success over the years, but really aren't vital to the regions in sydney that are more important if they got moved away from their areas, if the roosters were to move on, souths would just swallow that area up, and there wouldn't be a difference, any other club would leave a sizeable hole
View attachment 45151
View attachment 45152

You asked what east Sydney was. I showed you a map.
PS
No club is irreplaceable. Your juniors for example could get taken over by Parra. Greater Sydney would forget Penrith and any other club for that matter.

MugaB

Coach
You asked what east Sydney was. I showed you a map.
PS
No club is irreplaceable. Your juniors for example could get taken over by Parra. Greater Sydney would forget Penrith and any other club for that matter.
East Sydney, not Eastern Suburbs, your map basically has Souths juniors district RL clubs all through it, in otherwords most of it is represented by the bunnies, or more likely pathways are built towards souths, not the roosters

All im saying is that nothing changes if roosters move north to central coast or Adelaide even, where parramattas or penriths region is big enough that it would be missed, im not saying roosters aren't worthy of being in the comp, they definitely are, they just don't need to BE in Sydney or more specifically servicing those 4 small suburbs only, where they'd be the perfect candidate to flourish in a larger catchment, with more local fanbase than where they are now, like if they announced that a merger of norths and easts for example, to properly gain the whole of the northern suburbs catchment as their own, even taking on central coast for a few more games per yer, and not just a yearly partnership with the bears.
If you'd move any other team elsewhere (not as a merger) the hole would resemble what happened to north sydney bears,
Newtown Jets of the 80s a prime example of a small area getting picked apart by neighbouring clubs, since they aren't in 1st grade anymore

Last edited:
East Sydney, not Eastern Suburbs, your map basically has Souths juniors district RL clubs all through it, in otherwords most of it is represented by the bunnies, or more likely pathways are built towards souths, not the roosters

All im saying is that nothing changes if roosters move north to central coast or Adelaide even, where parramattas or penriths region is big enough that it would be missed, im not saying roosters aren't worthy of being in the comp, they definitely are, they just don't need to BE in Sydney or more specifically servicing those 4 small suburbs only, where they'd be the perfect candidate to flourish in a larger catchment, with more local fanbase than where they are now, like if they announced that a merger of norths and easts for example, to properly gain the whole of the northern suburbs catchment as their own, even taking on central coast for a few more games per yer, and not just a yearly partnership with the bears.
If you'd move any other team elsewhere (not as a merger) the hole would resemble what happened to north sydney bears,
Newtown Jets of the 80s a prime example of a small area getting picked apart by neighbouring clubs, since they aren't in 1st grade anymore

I’m really interested to see where that relationship goes to be honest. There’s only the harbour bridge between us and the name ‘Sydney’ is already a good fit when you consider location and it’s already being half North’s name anyway. They’re also both financial centres with lots of European cars so it’s a good cultural fit too lol.

Got mates who supported Norths and since become Swans members who are watching with interest. They were looking forward to the NSO game that we didn’t get due to Covid. They clearly have no issue travelling to the SCG as it is. Be good to get a few Swans or lapsed fans back to the game. If it means having some Norths recognition on the jersey like Swans do for South Melbourne, I could live with that although my mates would prefer some black introduced somewhere on the kit. Probably a step too far for me as our kit’s one of the better ones but they can go to town on the away kit like Saints do.

On your other point. Moving to another town/area with larger catchment doesn’t automatically mean you’ll flourish. Compare Tigers/Saints to us for example. Ask their fans if they think they’re flourishing? Plus our board have made their personal wealth and our club’s wealth based here in Sydney. Who’s to say that continues when you change towns or states? Why risk it? Clubs merge or relocate only when dying is the only other option. Our board is smart enough to know when a good business case presents itself and so far, moving doesn’t seem to be good business atm.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
I’m really interested to see where that relationship goes to be honest. There’s only the harbour bridge between us and the name ‘Sydney’ is already a good fit when you consider location and it’s already being half North’s name anyway. They’re also both financial centres with lots of European cars so it’s a good cultural fit too lol.

Got mates who supported Norths and since become Swans members who are watching with interest. They were looking forward to the NSO game that we didn’t get due to Covid. They clearly have no issue travelling to the SCG as it is. Be good to get a few Swans or lapsed fans back to the game. If it means having some Norths recognition on the jersey like Swans do for South Melbourne, I could live with that although my mates would prefer some black introduced somewhere on the kit. Probably a step too far for me as our kit’s one of the better ones but they can go to town on the away kit like Saints do.

On your other point. Moving to another town/area with larger catchment doesn’t automatically mean you’ll flourish. Compare Tigers/Saints to us for example. Ask their fans if they think they’re flourishing? Plus our board have made their personal wealth and our club’s wealth based here in Sydney. Who’s to say that continues when you change towns or states? Why risk it? Clubs merge or relocate only when dying is the only other option. Our board is smart enough to know when a good business case presents itself and so far, moving doesn’t seem to be good business atm.
Im not specifically saying you as a the roosters have to move or relocate, i was stating only that roosters would be my first pick, as the rest of Sydney's clubs all are in areas much larger,
But it would be better in the long run to become something more than where you're at currently.
Becoming North Sydney Roosters, as the prime example automatically sets the tone of the north shore, rich, affluent, harbourside club, as the ties with the bears is easy since they are already a feeder club just become permanent the iconic navy blue jersey stays as is, maybe a red jersey with the multiple squares the bears were famous for is the away, but colors of Navy, white and red remain untouched, its simple little compromises that could turn Roosters into a greater powerhouse brand than just winning premierships in 1st grade. Increased members, increased catchment, increased juniors, increased presence
Creating a team in the north that isn't just only manlys northern beaches moniker.
It can stretch from vaucluse, through to mosman, to lane cove, Chatswood, Gordon, then to Hornsby, past Brooklyn all the way to Gosford, arguably would be one of the largest catchments in sydney, currently not in use

I detailed a jersey mockup a few months ago regarding this subject, and as far as stadiums presence, 1 gosford and 1 NSO with 10 home games at SFS, but also utilizing trial matches at Gosford and NSO aswell. And train at NSO
Still the Roosters, same colors, still Sydney, still City/Harbour, just less "Easts only" and more addition of "North"

Little compromises
Can have "norths leagues" as the sleeve sponsor

20200913_083744.jpg
Reversing the red and navy basically as the away jersey

I grew up a norths fan until 1990, and i actually was looking forward to the NSO game also as it fell on my bday last year, i would love to see a proper rejuvenation of something "norths"
Im sure since the steelers had merged there isnt much left of them, but the dragons are a greater/longer presence there in Illawarra now, since 1999. Same can happen in the northern suburbs

Last edited:
I like your alternate jersey, funny though, I was thinking the white Citibank era as the away kit. My thoughts were, still stick with Sydney and perhaps go back to a the bridge (but classier) logo further linking the two districts. North Sydney is too bigger leap for me. Sydney speaks to both parties plus I think we would be nuts to walk away from the new SFS. We signed a 20 year lease anyway. As I said, ex bears fans don’t have an issue going to the SCG as it is so a shiny new modern stadium might be a good lure for lapsed fans. But would love a couple of games at NSO especially against Manly. If even for ol’ time sakes.

T-Boon

Coach
If any club is going to take over Gosford with a partial move (taking a few games) it should be Newcastle. Newcastle and CC are similar places and border one another in the same way Newcastle and the upper hunter does. It is a logical union. It would be unlikely to lead to an upgrade of Gosford though it might lead to an upgrade of Newcastle if they got bigger crowds out of it.
Sydney Roosters playing some games in Gosford does not make much sense to me as there is too much space between them. You have to drive through about 20 suburbs to get between the 2.

I am a fan of either (1) a sydney team moving fulltime or (2) Newcastle taking 2 or 3 games there and claiming the area.

MugaB

Coach
I like your alternate jersey, funny though, I was thinking the white Citibank era as the away kit. My thoughts were, still stick with Sydney and perhaps go back to a the bridge (but classier) logo further linking the two districts. North Sydney is too bigger leap for me. Sydney speaks to both parties plus I think we would be nuts to walk away from the new SFS. We signed a 20 year lease anyway. As I said, ex bears fans don’t have an issue going to the SCG as it is so a shiny new modern stadium might be a good lure for lapsed fans. But would love a couple of games at NSO especially against Manly. If even for ol’ time sakes.
If you just stick with "Sydney" instead of "North Sydney" then what are the bears getting out of it?, still be using SFS fulltime, just train and trails at NSO with 1 home game a year there, makes no sense for them to both merge but not actually merge in name

Last edited: