What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

The_Frog

First Grade
What is east sydney anyways, 3 suburbs?, its basically south sydney, and just south of that is botany bay where the sharks are across of, there is no geographical reason "Sydney" needs a "Roosters" team pretending to represent them when we aready have another 8 team spread out in each corner of the city
East Sydney was a suburb between the CBD and Kings Cross but the name seems to have been dropped these days. The Eastern Suburbs is that part of Sydney to the east and south east of the CBD as far as Maroubra. Eastern Sydney is that part of greater Sydney that is not Western Sydney. Confusing I know.

Last edited:
The Roosters should move to Coogee Oval. It fits around 5,000 people, which is more than what they usually get at the SFS/SCG.... lol.

Jokes aside, I agree that no one ever calls them Sydney. It is simply The Roosters (or Easts to some).

The Great Dane

First Grade
rubbish
they were in serious trouble , they only had the one leagues club at that point
( maybe they had Mawson too idk ) & it was doing ok only , on top of
no sponsors , no backing .. falling crowds & an inconsistent side on the field & general interest waning

the brumbies were firing
anyone who says they weren't in trouble knows SFA
Again none of that changes the fact that they used revenue from their leagues clubs to invest in their other businesses (including other leagues clubs BTW).

You're also totally misinformed on the Raiders history in that time period (you seem to be confusing the early 00s with the early 10s for example), but honestly I can't be bothered arguing with you about it.

Again none of that changes the fact that they used revenue from their leagues clubs to invest in their other businesses (including other leagues clubs BTW).

You're also totally misinformed on the Raiders history in that time period (you seem to be confusing the early 00s with the early 10s for example), but honestly I can't be bothered arguing with you about it.
they had a plan though , just because you have revenue doesn't mean you know how to use it well. Spreading out & investing in other financial interests delivering revenue streams separate from their licensed clubs etc.
they landed a lazy 28 million profit from the sale of their bunnings warehouse in Sydney only a month ago .. $28 Million straight into their pockets.
All your yeah but this & yeah but that , doesn't detract from the fact they are a very smart club , very well run & that has not a lot to do with their licensed clubs, Most clubs have those , most aren't doing as well as the Raiders.

I'd also suggest its YOU .. who needs the history lesson
this story from 2012 indicates what it was like when they took back the club off news in 2002
they were F'd
anything else I can correct you on ?

Corporate Raiders | The Canberra Times | Canberra, ACT

March marked 10 years since The Canberra District Rugby League Football Club Ltd took full control of the Raiders back from News Limited with the club hemorrhaging up to $200,000 a month.

T-Boon

Coach
I've said it before but change Manly's name to Sydney and have them play at least 4 games at North Sydney Oval. They should be more ambitious than just calling themselves Manly. They should be marching in towards the Roosters territory before the Roosters march in on theirs.
It is strange to me that some of these clubs lack ambition.

Bulldog2020

Juniors
Unless a club is relocating to a new city, they would be stupid to change their name.

Taking games from a traditional home ground is hard enough without trying to sell a name change.

I've said it before but change Manly's name to Sydney and have them play at least 4 games at North Sydney Oval. They should be more ambitious than just calling themselves Manly. They should be marching in towards the Roosters territory before the Roosters march in on theirs.
It is strange to me that some of these clubs lack ambition.

you seemingly ignore 53 years of history between Manly & North Sydney & their bitter rivalry. Not many people from that area would have anything to do with Manly & it wouldn't matter what you call them , they're still Manly. It would Also just alienate existing Manly fans. That club wouldn't last 2 years.

T-Boon

Coach
you seemingly ignore 53 years of history between Manly & North Sydney & their bitter rivalry. Not many people from that area would have anything to do with Manly & it wouldn't matter what you call them , they're still Manly. It would Also just alienate existing Manly fans. That club wouldn't last 2 years.

I think that is in the ancient past and we need to be more focussed on the next few generations of fans. North Sydney has not had a rivalry with anyone in 25 years.

I think that is in the ancient past and we need to be more focussed on the next few generations of fans. North Sydney has not had a rivalry with anyone in 25 years.

rivalries are not forgotten in 20 years by anyone , it won't work
Manly have been Manly for 73 years , changing their name won't change anything for most people.

Now merging them with the Roosters & calling them Sydney & having them represent all of the north , east , that might work

The Great Dane

First Grade
they had a plan though , just because you have revenue doesn't mean you know how to use it well. Spreading out & investing in other financial interests delivering revenue streams separate from their licensed clubs etc.
they landed a lazy 28 million profit from the sale of their bunnings warehouse in Sydney only a month ago .. $28 Million straight into their pockets.
All your yeah but this & yeah but that , doesn't detract from the fact they are a very smart club , very well run & that has not a lot to do with their licensed clubs, Most clubs have those , most aren't doing as well as the Raiders.
Nobody said they weren't smart, however their being smart doesn't change the fact that they couldn't have achieved what they have without the income that they were making out of their leagues clubs (particularly Queanbeyan Leagues club), and therefore the vast majority of other regional clubs couldn't copy the Raiders model to sustain NRL teams because they don't have those initial funds to invest like the Raiders have.

So yeah, stop trying to move the goal posts and just accept that you said something silly.

I'd also suggest its YOU .. who needs the history lesson
this story from 2012 indicates what it was like when they took back the club off news in 2002
they were F'd
anything else I can correct you on ?

Corporate Raiders | The Canberra Times | Canberra, ACT

March marked 10 years since The Canberra District Rugby League Football Club Ltd took full control of the Raiders back from News Limited with the club hemorrhaging up to $200,000 a month.
That article basically confirms exactly what I said...

You said both the football club and the leagues clubs were broke, I said no it was just the football club that was broke, and that's effectively what that quote says.

Nobody said they weren't smart, however their being smart doesn't change the fact that they couldn't have achieved what they have without the income that they were making out of their leagues clubs (particularly Queanbeyan Leagues club), and therefore the vast majority of other regional clubs couldn't copy the Raiders model to sustain NRL teams because they don't have those initial funds to invest like the Raiders have.

So yeah, stop trying to move the goal posts and just accept that you said something silly.

That article basically confirms exactly what I said...

You said both the football club and the leagues clubs were broke, I said no it was just the football club that was broke, and that's effectively what that quote says.

hahaha
it totally contradicts what you said
you said i got it ballsed up .. the history

i got it dead right
5 million a year they were losing in 2002 ... equivalent to probably 7.5 million in todays money
No leagues club grant is covering that , so they were in dire straits just like i said ,
they dug their way out with smarts rarely seen with NRL clubs because they darnwell had to !!
tell me ...how many NRL clubs with leagues club backing .. regional or otherwise pocketed 28 million dollars from one investment

they are not just a guide
they are ... THE .. model & like i said
all your but .. but ..but .. its the only thing silly being said here

The Great Dane

First Grade
hahaha
it totally contradicts what you said
you said i got it ballsed up .. the history

i got it dead right
5 million a year they were losing in 2002 ... equivalent to probably 7.5 million in todays money
No leagues club grant is covering that , so they were in dire straits just like i said ,
they dug their way out with smarts rarely seen with NRL clubs because they darnwell had to !!
tell me ...how many NRL clubs with leagues club backing .. regional or otherwise pocketed 28 million dollars from one investment

they are not just a guide
they are ... THE .. model & like i said
all your but .. but ..but .. its the only thing silly being said here
You're just moving the goal posts and not even addressing what I'm saying anymore...

I never claimed that the leagues club was totally covering the $5mil the football club was losing a year, however the leagues clubs (yes their were two, maybe even three I can't remember if they had Gungahlin by 02) weren't broke and the only reason that the footy club didn't fold is because of the fact that the leagues clubs were able to underwrite them to a degree... So it's pretty open and shut that you were wrong about the leagues clubs being broke.

And guess what happened after the Raiders Group got control over the club again; they reigned in New's crazy spending within a few seasons and there was no issue anymore.

BTW, you still haven't changed the fact that you can't copy the Raiders model without large amounts of start up funds to invest, which the vast majority of regional clubs (and even some NRL clubs) simply don't have.

You're just moving the goal posts and not even addressing what I'm saying anymore...

I never claimed that the leagues club was totally covering the $5mil the football club was losing a year, however the leagues clubs (yes their were two, maybe even three I can't remember if they had Gungahlin by 02) weren't broke and the only reason that the footy club didn't fold is because of the fact that the leagues clubs were able to underwrite them to a degree... So it's pretty open and shut that you were wrong about the leagues clubs being broke.

And guess what happened after the Raiders Group got control over the club again; they reigned in New's crazy spending within a few seasons and there was no issue anymore.

BTW, you still haven't changed the fact that you can't copy the Raiders model without large amounts of start up funds to invest, which the vast majority of regional clubs (and even some NRL clubs) simply don't have.
underwrite them to a degree ?? lol
cover some of their losses
but not all , haha
so... the Canberra Raiders football club pty ltd encompassing the football operation & the raiders group , its licensed group was STILL losing more money then it earnt
meaning they were on their way to insolvency then which is what i said meaning I was correct.

My point all along was they took care of it through business savy , & not just reigning in spending because that doesn't grow a business. but by investing to expand revenues , cut dependence on pokies & ensure & guarantee their future which is pretty darn impressive for a little regional club based in a govt town with no corporate backing
. which you continue to ignore
the only one not addressing things here is you

T-Boon

Coach
Several times this thread has discussed there being no place in the Northern Sydney area for a new 30k stadium. I think they could build it on that golf course 'Camaray golf course' I think its called. There are already too many golf courses in Sydney. Make it a stadium and park land.

Perth Red

Post Whore

You think 10-25 year olds give a sht? That’s who a northern sydney team needs to be marketing to!

You think 10-25 year olds give a sht? That’s who a northern sydney team needs to be marketing to!

you think those 10 to 25 year olds don't know who Manly is ?
Just suddenly changing Manlys name & having them play a few games at NSO isn't going to make a new club that used to be Manly any more appealing to anyone in that area.

A nthn team ended with the demise of the nthn eagles , great idea .. just badly handled ended up being a complete disaster.