What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

ash the bash

Juniors
Will be great being in the local area, can't wait to pop down and watch training. Glad to see many clubs sort out the admin and training facilities.

With Manly, Cronulla, Newcastle, Parramatta & Wests Tigers COE's being built, I think the Dragons would be the only club without a new one or one being planned ? Not sure about Melbourne's position but I think they share facilities at AAMI park.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Will be great being in the local area, can't wait to pop down and watch training. Glad to see many clubs sort out the admin and training facilities.

With Manly, Cronulla, Newcastle, Parramatta & Wests Tigers COE's being built, I think the Dragons would be the only club without a new one or one being planned ? Not sure about Melbourne's position but I think they share facilities at AAMI park.

Its a shame Storm didn’t chip in and become part of the NRLVic centre
https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/2021/05/11/giant-step-forward-for-rugby-league-in-victoria/

horrie hastings

First Grade
Not stadium related but a look at The Heffron Centre in Maroubra which will be the Rabbitohs training facility and corporate head office from late 2022 which is part of a $58m development. Funding has been secured and I believe plans have been approved as well with construction due to begin in August.

https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/05/25/first-look-revealed-into-rabbitohs-new-maroubra-burrow/

Amazing how Heffron Park is coming on over the years, when i went to school at Marist Brothers across the road it still had the old Navy store buildings which were later used as migrant hostels , we used to do a lot of sports in those vacant buildings, the whole park was basically a dump apart from a footy field at the Maroubra end near Heffron Pool and also footy fields where the Matto Tigers played at the Hillsdale end. One of the old buildings was converted into a indoor tennis court centre and Ken Rosewall played an exhibition match there at the opening, most of the buildings were demolished and netball courts were put in. Its great to see the park constantly upgraded and this will be the cream of the crop by the lookof it

ash the bash

Juniors
Anyone hear any news about new Penrith Stadium? Saw something on Twitter about them moving to Bankwest in 22 or 23 for new stadium due in 2025.

Tiger Shark

Bench

Unless something has changed the Sharks aren't getting a COE (f**k I hate that name) just yet. They need some more funding from what I understand.

All the works they're currently doing is for the leagues club adjoining Peter Burns stand. It's going to be great financially for the club when done but none of the works are for the stadium or COE just yet.

Coastbloke

Bench
A certain anti-stadium Opposition Leader is putting his hand up for the NSW ALP Leadership..

Now, it's unlikely he will win against Chris Minns and even more unlikely he'll win the 2023 NSW Election should he win the leadership ballot, anyone who wants a stadium better get a move on....

ash the bash

Juniors
Unless something has changed the Sharks aren't getting a COE (f**k I hate that name) just yet. They need some more funding from what I understand.

All the works they're currently doing is for the leagues club adjoining Peter Burns stand. It's going to be great financially for the club when done but none of the works are for the stadium or COE just yet.

Ok Thanks, I stand corrected was under the impression they would have had a COE along with a hall of fame etc in parts of the Western grandstand after the refurbish.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ok Thanks, I stand corrected was under the impression they would have had a COE along with a hall of fame etc in parts of the Western grandstand after the refurbish.

That's the plan but they've only got a grant for $8mill of the proposed $28mill cost so far. I wonder if the proposal they put to NRL for them to take over ownership of the land there led to anything?

Following is from the Wide World of Sports website (source: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-ec...ggest-loser-in-nrl-s--flawed-strategy-_310521) -

The NRL Economist: Wests Tigers must move from Leichhardt Oval and Campbelltown
https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F55d16df9-9940-4e4f-8cf6-46c3647d2ae7
By The NRL Economist
3 hours ago

Wests Tigers fans may scoff, but their beloved venues at Leichhardt and Campbelltown must not be granted NSW taxpayer funds for upgrades. Revamping or even rebuilding these traditional suburban grounds is a flawed strategy that will never yield the same success achieved by Parramatta's world class Bankwest Stadium.

The reason why is because Campbelltown and Leichhardt are lost in suburbia. They lack the surrounding infrastructure necessary to drive attendance growth. Attracting new fans requires reliable multimodal public transport, cosmopolitan cafes and a wide variety of trendy entertainment venues immediately adjacent to the game. Football attendance is just part of the outing for casual fans, and isolated suburban locations simply don't entice them.

The state government is shortly expected to grant the NRL's wish for several 20,000-seat stadiums. Numerous locations have been raised with Kogarah, Penrith, Campbelltown and Leichhardt contenders for this funding. The rare opportunity to spike Rugby League attendances via government investment cannot be wasted at these traditional grounds.

To illustrate just how ineffective suburban locations are in attracting fans, average stadium attendances since 1957 were collated and ranked. To ensure a fair comparison, only home and away fixtures were included, with finals and representative game attendances omitted. Post-Covid fixtures were also removed considering the pandemic compulsorily limited crowds.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fee9225fb-21b8-4ab3-b3e9-22b04f41223e

(Nine)
Despite all the hyperbole surrounding the passion fans have for Leichardt Oval, it ranks second-last, marginally above the Wests Tigers other home venue at Campbelltown.

Other supposedly treasured grounds such as Belmore Sports Ground and Kogarah Oval, also rank very poorly. In fact, all the suburban venues sit at the bottom of the rankings. Yet traditionalists still yearn for a return to the halcyon days at their beloved venues.

The exact reason why the newly built Bankwest Stadium has been so successful is its location. Parramatta is a vibrant city of its own, exhibiting all of the aforementioned trendy attractions along with a broad network of transport options.

Similarly, Liverpool must be the long term priority for the NRL. Its proximity to Sydney's second airport will ensure a massive influx of investment on surrounding infrastructure. Transport links and professional hubs inevitably attract hospitality and entertainment venues. Simply put, it will be the second Parramatta.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F6168db63-4343-4ac2-a143-a7b35169364c

Average NRL crowds by venue, based on only home and away fixtures since 1957. (Nine)
According to Liverpool's Mayor Wendy Waller "Liverpool and the NRL … it's a match made in heaven. We are a sport-loving community, and our population is growing fast – from 243,000 this year to almost 387,000 by 2041".

The enthusiastic Mayor also points out, "Planes will be arriving and departing from the new Western Sydney International Airport in 2026 so it makes a lot of sense to plan for this in Liverpool now. Sydney's third CBD is a natural choice for a stadium for NRL and other professional sport fixtures. There are many possible locations for a great stadium next to good transport connections and funding is available from other tiers of government".

Yet some traditionalists still yearn for a return to their beloved venues of Kogarah, Leichhardt and Campbelltown. Romantic nostalgia often twisting the debate from opportunity to emotion.

But the NRL and NSW Government Premier Gladys Berejiklian must adopt a stadia strategy with Rugby League's long term needs in mind. History has proven that isolated suburbs are not the future of the game. Major hubs are.

The numbers don't lie.

Disclaimer: The NRL Economist Ramy Haidar is employed by NRL club the Manly Sea Eagles. The opinions expressed in the article are solely his and do not represent the views of his employer. You can follow him on Twitter @ramy_haidar

Perth Red

Post Whore
The massive NRL grant increase in 2019 has just papered over the cracks of club viability for the time being and how poorly clubs are leveraging customer base to drive revenue growth, 12-13k crowds with 50% less corporate entertainment facilities are not going to cut it. Hard to see NSW Govt stumping up for six $200mill plus projects (wests, panthers, manly, dragons, bulldogs & Sharks) and we know ANZ should not be a NRL club venue. Time for clubs to ditch suburban mentality/pokie reliance and look to the future before some dumb ass decisions are made in Sydney.

beave

Coach
posted this in the Origin folder

I actually think they could get closer to 30k in the joint if they tried.

I went to the opener last year and 2 weeks ago vs the knights and at the back of each lower bay there is a huge amount of standing area and the top tier is elevated to be able to give you a view from the concession areas (they copied the Optus Oval ethos)

This is the view from that area

2-BB2-D20-E-9546-4830-84-D0-8040478-D77-D5.jpg

There is 16-17 lower bays, you could honestly fit 100 people easily behind each bay in these areas.

The northern end has quite a large standing area as well which even taken into consideration the temp grandstand seating they are putting in you could fit probably another 1k in GA tickets as well as the 2k in temp seating.

There is also room at the top of the western stand that would allow about 500 between the 3 ‘sky decks’, below is one of them

images

Not sure if standing tickets are allowed in these covid times but i really hope the stadium are looking at these options to pack the joint to the brim. It really is a f**king amazing stadium, I urge anyone that has a remote inkling to go up and watch their team play to get up and do it, the designers have done an excellent job.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
@beave have you got flights booked? I was going to go but Qantas wanted $1300 return from Canberra. So I booked game two in protest. What a time to be alive tho!

Latest posts