What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Croz Au

Juniors
Northern Eagles failed because it wasn't a full time Gosford team and Manly sabotaged it. Crowds in Gosford were great until Manly started poisoning the well.

If there's not enough players for a 17th team then we'll need to get rid of a Sydney team. Brisbane 2 is worth way more to the broadcasters than some small Sydney club that draws low TV ratings. In 2020, Broncos Storm and Cowboys were 1st, 4th and 6th most watched teams across FTA and Pay TV, despite Broncos and Cowboys finishing 16th and 14th on the NRL Ladder.

Sea Eagles, Sharks and Bulldogs were the 11th, 12th and 13th most watched clubs across Ch9 and Fox League. Only Titans, Raiders and Warriors were watched by fewer people.

Though have your looked at how FTA games work. Nine and fox set it up poorly, as they gave their favourite teams.
The FTA isn’t fair across the competition.
If it was fair, you wouldn’t have broncos always on Friday night lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
Though have your looked at how FTA games work. Nine and fox set it up poorly, as they gave their favourite teams.
The FTA isn’t fair across the competition.
If it was fair, you wouldn’t have broncos always on Friday night lol
Its not there to be fair, its there to give the tv companies the best ROI, and that means putting the most popular clubs in the most watched spots.

Croz Au

Juniors
If the NRL sticks with 9 teams in Sydney then it will have no one to blame but itself when it falls further behind AwFuL. Without the broadcast revenue, which is propped up by Broncos, Storm and Cowboys, at least 2 or 3 of the Sydney clubs would have folded over the last 5 to 10 years.

I don't see a lot of kids running around in NRL jerseys or attending games these days. Our game is in for a lot of trouble when us older folk start dying off over the next 40 years. Ratings will nose dive and we will be where RU is now, possibly worse as they at least have a presence in Perth. Broadcast rights will dry up and Sydney clubs will fold. Players will head across to European RU. When that day arrives the ARLC will wish they invested more in developing the game at the grassroots level across the country and focused less on saving unprofitable Sydney clubs.
This is a funny one, in the last three yrs, the sharks are the 2nd most profitable of the Sydney clubs. Most clubs including the non Sydney clubs have taken massive hits.
a lot of clubs are mainly aimed at the footy area of business, and have no diversity in their business, which you’ll see them falling aside the pack. This won’t be sharks we are diversified and are growing

a lot of non Sydney clubs are in the same boat as the Sydney club

Croz Au

Juniors
W
In the past I've suggested this, but I am against it now because they have a strong ownership model, get better crowds than many Sydney teams and have a quality stadium. All they need is some success and stability. They'll never be the Broncos or Cowboys, but they can become a middle-tier club that serves a strategically important region.
Umm what success has broncos had in thr last 20 odd years?

Croz Au

Juniors
Its not there to be fair, its there to give the tv companies the best ROI, and that means putting the most popular clubs in the most watched spots.
Yes and no. Broncos are not always popular. A lot of fans are over the broncos on show all thr time.
to grow game, needs to be fair to get more interested.
I know of a dogs fan who stopped watch the game , co of tickets pricing, game were on stupid times, broncos on always, just the rules kept changing.

Croz Au

Juniors
Wonder what their crowd avg would be if they had the success of Sharks on the field in that period? They've hit 18-21k avg's in the past suggesting at least the potential is there. At the height of Sharks success they only mustered 14k.

But yes poor crowd attendance is a game wide issue, not just a Sydney one. On that we agree! NRL has one of the lowest attendances of a top tier most popular sport in a major cities in the world. Take out the Broncos and it starts to look even worse. We know from Tv audiences the interest is there, we have just been terrible at getting them casual fans to be rusted on committed fans. Which takes us back to venues and quality of experience of attending a game!
Price of tickets, game day experience, cost of thr day on the family .

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
The titans crowd avg for the 4 years BC is on par with the sharks, and this at a time the sharks were premiers and top 8 whilst titans where struggling. People in glass houses and all that lol
Could have sworn it his was a stadium thread rather than a crowd thread. Sadly for all the haters the Sharks have gone from one of the most vulnerable clubs to having a very bright future in just a handful of years. I’d suggest you hold fire on the Sharks until you see how the game day experience and stadium pans out in the next 18 months or so. Glad that Vlad and his cronies see it that way too.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is a funny one, in the last three yrs, the sharks are the 2nd most profitable of the Sydney clubs. Most clubs including the non Sydney clubs have taken massive hits.
a lot of clubs are mainly aimed at the footy area of business, and have no diversity in their business, which you’ll see them falling aside the pack. This won’t be sharks we are diversified and are growing

a lot of non Sydney clubs are in the same boat as the Sydney club
tbf the 2020 financial report was made to look a lot healthier due to the one off $11.8million payment from the developers ringfenced for the LC refurbishment which was in lieu of claiming ongoing revenue from the retail land. If you take that out they made a $2mill loss in 2020 on top of a $3million loss in 2019. We haven't seen the 2021 figures yet.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Most of the Titans crowds are away fans - fact. Certainly the number of Cronulla fans dwarfed the number of GC fans at their stadium in the years 16-19!
Does it matter? All that shows is that the area is a popular spot for people to move to from other cities. Eventually the kids or grandkids of those fans will be Titans fans.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Could have sworn it his was a stadium thread rather than a crowd thread. Sadly for all the haters the Sharks have gone from one of the most vulnerable clubs to having a very bright future in just a handful of years. I’d suggest you hold fire on the Sharks until you see how the game day experience and stadium pans out in the next 18 months or so. Glad that Vlad and his cronies see it that way too.
yeh I gave up worrying about the thread staying on topic a few pages back. If the moderators dont care then I guess why should I lol.

MugaB

Coach
Don't the AFL have 9 clubs in Melbourne (including the Geelong Cats)?
10 including Geelong, in Victoria

Bombers, Hawks, Saints, Blues, Magpies, Roos, Dogs, Demons, Tigers and Cats

Nsw with RL using this method is the same
Rabbits, Chooks, Dogs, Sharks, Eagles, Panthers, Eels, Tigers, Dragons and Knights

Perth Red

Post Whore
10 including Geelong, in Victoria

Bombers, Hawks, Saints, Blues, Magpies, Roos, Dogs, Demons, Tigers and Cats

Nsw with RL using this method is the same
Rabbits, Chooks, Dogs, Sharks, Eagles, Panthers, Eels, Tigers, Dragons and Knights
And 4 of them are financially struggling and need extra funding from afl to survive And keep up with the pack Despite their largish fanbases, over saturation is a problem for both codes.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
And 4 of them are financially struggling and need extra funding from afl to survive And keep up with the pack Despite their largish fanbases, over saturation is a problem for both codes.
Think once again you’re missing the point of the local rivalries that exist in both AFL and the NRL in their respective home cities. Personally I’m far more interested in the clashes of the Sydney clubs than the interstate and regional clubs. Think your bias in wanting a Perth franchise and hence a National comp is clouding your judgement somewhat.

MugaB

Coach
I don't care, my only concern is NRL and its current clubs, over saturation is just a throwaway line, for expansionist that are looking at Sydney and trying to simplify it, taking away a current sydney club wont grow the pie, keeping the brands alive ALL brands including the expansion clubs is the way forward, and also only adding clubs from areas without representation, in otherwords no more new NSW teams, yes add Perth, Adelaide, PNG, NZ2, P.Is, more QLDs whatever, but keep what existing, the biggest mistake RL ever did was cull and merge teams, yes there was 22 at one stage, and was unsustainable, but if the league had the set up we have now, with Grants, Salary caps on Players and Coaching Staff, maybe Reds, Rams, Hunters, Orcas, Silktails and other teams exists and the comp thrives being that most of the clubs 30 years ago were either run badly or weren't giving a chance to blossom further... my hope is that we can get more teams, in a larger comp at a salary cap of 7 million player cap and coach/staff cap at 3 million.
as teams have way too much to spend on each 30man squad.. paying overs for run of the mill average joes... and get more 1st grade presence all over Oceania, change the "National" part of our games name to Pacific or Oceania .. and if we can get to 24 teams in the comp spread across the Pacific, sydney with its 9 clubs isn't an issue, not when expansion teams outnumber them close to 2 to 1

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
T
I don't care, my only concern is NRL and its current clubs, over saturation is just a throwaway line, for expansionist that are looking at Sydney and trying to simplify it, taking away a current sydney club wont grow the pie, keeping the brands alive ALL brands including the expansion clubs is the way forward, and also only adding clubs from areas without representation, in otherwords no more new NSW teams, yes add Perth, Adelaide, PNG, NZ2, P.Is, more QLDs whatever, but keep what existing, the biggest mistake RL ever did was cull and merge teams, yes there was 22 at one stage, and was unsustainable, but if the league had the set up we have now, with Grants, Salary caps on Players and Coaching Staff, maybe Reds, Rams, Hunters, Orcas, Silktails and other teams exists and the comp thrives being that most of the clubs 30 years ago were either run badly or weren't giving a chance to blossom further... my hope is that we can get more teams, in a larger comp at a salary cap of 7 million player and coach/staff cap at 3 million.
as teams have way too much to spend on each 30man squad.. paying overs for run of the mill average joes... and get more 1st presence all over Oceania, change the "National" part of our games name to Pacific or Oceania .. and if we can get to 24 teams in the comp spread across the Pacific, sydney with its 9 clubs isn't an issue, not when expansion teams outnumber them close to 2 to 1
Thats a nice dream and one you’ll get no argument from me on!