What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

I don't care, my only concern is NRL and its current clubs, over saturation is just a throwaway line, for expansionist that are looking at Sydney and trying to simplify it, taking away a current sydney club wont grow the pie, keeping the brands alive ALL brands including the expansion clubs is the way forward, and also only adding clubs from areas without representation, in otherwords no more new NSW teams, yes add Perth, Adelaide, PNG, NZ2, P.Is, more QLDs whatever, but keep what existing, the biggest mistake RL ever did was cull and merge teams, yes there was 22 at one stage, and was unsustainable, but if the league had the set up we have now, with Grants, Salary caps on Players and Coaching Staff, maybe Reds, Rams, Hunters, Orcas, Silktails and other teams exists and the comp thrives being that most of the clubs 30 years ago were either run badly or weren't giving a chance to blossom further... my hope is that we can get more teams, in a larger comp at a salary cap of 7 million player cap and coach/staff cap at 3 million.
as teams have way too much to spend on each 30man squad.. paying overs for run of the mill average joes... and get more 1st grade presence all over Oceania, change the "National" part of our games name to Pacific or Oceania .. and if we can get to 24 teams in the comp spread across the Pacific, sydney with its 9 clubs isn't an issue, not when expansion teams outnumber them close to 2 to 1
Expansion clubs do not outnumber Sydney clubs 2 to 1. Nine of the sixteen clubs are from Sydney.

Small club? we have the 2nd biggest junior RL nursery. We have laid the foundations of being a powerful club. We are doing a lot of good things that have been kept quiet and setting up for success.
a lot of clubs in the competition are focused on RL income and that’s it’s; whilst sharks haven’t we diversified.
I have lived in Sydney a few times, though I have lived in many locations away from the shire, ie: Darwin, Townsville, Newcastle, Brisbane and so on. You see numerous of sharks fans up at those locations hah
Here is an honest question for you, who do you follow?
Cowboys. We have a quality stadium and are one of the most watched teams on TV.

Broncos, Dolphins and Titans also have quality stadiums.

Sharks and Dragons will never have quality stadiums and few people watch them on TV.

Croz Au

Juniors

Sharks and Dragons will never have quality stadiums and few people watch them on TV.
Lol
The local population didn’t want the new stadium that has issues with parking.
You need for that dam there. (Ps: I lived in Townsville for abit)
Cowboys one of the most watched? Hah that funny.
sharks will have a qualify stadium; and there is plenty of sharks fans that watch the game who are interstate.

Lol
The local population didn’t want the new stadium that has issues with parking.
You need for that dam there. (Ps: I lived in Townsville for abit)
Cowboys one of the most watched? Hah that funny.
sharks will have a qualify stadium; and there is plenty of sharks fans that watch the game who are interstate.
It's obvious you don't have a clue about TV ratings, so I'll make this quick.

In 2020 the Cowboys were the 6th most watched club across Australia on Ch9 and Fox League, despite finishing 14th and being shit on the field since 2017. Dragons and Sharks were 10th and 12th most watched.

On Foxtel alone, Cowboys were the 5th most watched club. Sharks and Dragons were 11th and 13th.

Don't take my word for it. See for yourself.

http://www.footyindustry.com/?page_id=49301

What's funny is you not knowing these easy to find facts.

Cowboys were easily one of the more popular teams between 2017-2019, despite being unsuccessful on the field. Cronulla were the 3rd most successful team in terms of wins during this period, but they were one of the least watched teams.

Last edited:

ReddFelon

Juniors
You're somewhat missing the point.

Bar the stupid incursions into Western Sydney and Gold Coast, the VFL/AFL expanded into areas that were already their own heartland.

They had no choice but to bring in the West Coast Eagles in 1987 as the WAFL was flat broke and they needed the Victorian money on offer to keep things at Subiaco Oval afloat.

And you don't need me to explain to you how Aussie Rules mad people here in Adelaide are.

Even the second tier SANFL is well supported.

They brought in the Eagles to keep VFL teams afloat, not the WAFL. West Coast makes more money than any other sporting club in Australia, in any code.

Croz Au

Juniors
It's obvious you don't have a clue about TV ratings, so I'll make this quick.

In 2020 the Cowboys were the 6th most watched club across Australia on Ch9 and Fox League, despite finishing 14th and being shit on the field since 2017. Dragons and Sharks were 10th and 12th most watched.

On Foxtel alone, Cowboys were the 5th most watched club. Sharks and Dragons were 11th and 13th.

Don't take my word for it. See for yourself.

http://www.footyindustry.com/?page_id=49301

What's funny is you not knowing these easy to find facts.
Not much of ratings; however I do know a lot of statistics.
how accurate are they are?
As I don’t see whether they have either confidence in the results; or whether there are any biases or how big the sample of the population was done

Croz Au

Juniors
Plus could you supply whether there is any statistical errors within those.
those results would be only an sample of the population.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade

Not really sure of the relevance of tv ratings and the correlation with quality stadiums. It’s not as though a quality stadium means higher tv ratings. Interesting that there is only a 20% difference between first and last in the tv ratings though…. Thought it would be much greater tbh. In regards to the Southern Sydney Sharks…. The only way that’s likely to happen is if the Dragons move full-time to the Gong. That would be a shame given the proud history and traditions behind the Dragons but is not out of the question.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
must be nice to just be handed a new stadium though without having to fund any of it at all and then have fans say that that club has done well when in actual fact they’ve done nothing.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Not really sure of the relevance of tv ratings and the correlation with quality stadiums. It’s not as though a quality stadium means higher tv ratings. Interesting that there is only a 20% difference between first and last in the tv ratings though…. Thought it would be much greater tbh. In regards to the Southern Sydney Sharks…. The only way that’s likely to happen is if the Dragons move full-time to the Gong. That would be a shame given the proud history and traditions behind the Dragons but is not out of the question.
Just like if the sharks left there Sutherland to cronulla area wouldn’t become dragons fans the kogarah area won’t become sharks fans. It’s another argument that isn’t based on reality.

Just let it play out. Last teams standing wins. I’m Confident now.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Just like if the sharks left there Sutherland to cronulla area wouldn’t become dragons fans the kogarah area won’t become sharks fans. It’s another argument that isn’t based on reality.

Just let it play out. Last teams standing wins. I’m Confident now.
Yeah same…. Honestly don’t want to see the Goons go by the wayside…..love the derby. Sharks are going absolutely nowhere which is a good feeling considering our precarious financial history.

ARLC isn't going to kill off a team that has a world class stadium and draws very strong TV ratings.

There's no argument for Cronulla to be in the competition ahead of NZ2, Perth, Bris 3 or Adelaide. They don't rate on TV and they don't draw strong crowds. Nor do they have strong companies lining up to sponsor them. If you're a company looking to align yourself with a sports club to promote your brand, would you rather be with a club that plays out of a quality stadium and draws high TV ratings, or a small club playing at a tiny derelict park with few people watching on TV?

If you sponsor the Sharks you're competing with 8 other teams for media exposure. Compare that to teams from areas that aren't oversaturated.

Rhetoric about The Sharks being needed for kids to play the game in Sutherland is debunked by Logan having just as many juniors , if not more, despite not having an NRL club and not having a Queensland Cup team based in it since 2002.

Cronulla will never have a stadium like Parramatta Stadium, Melbourne Rectangular Arena, Townsville Stadium or Robina Stadium. Nor should it. There's no A-League, Super Rugby or AwFuL team in Southern Sydney, so no need for a new stadium or a even a team, if we're being fair dinkum. The crazy thing is we have two teams in this small region playing out of dumps while Perth and Adelaide have none.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
ARLC isn't going to kill off a team that has a world class stadium and draws very strong TV ratings.

There's no argument for Cronulla to be in the competition ahead of NZ2, Perth, Bris 3 or Adelaide. They don't rate on TV and they don't draw strong crowds. Nor do they have strong companies lining up to sponsor them. If you're a company looking to align yourself with a sports club to promote your brand, would you rather be with a club that plays out of a quality stadium and draws high TV ratings, or a small club playing at a tiny derelict park with few people watching on TV?

If you sponsor the Sharks you're competing with 8 other teams for media exposure. Compare that to teams from areas that aren't oversaturated.

Rhetoric about The Sharks being needed for kids to play the game in Sutherland is debunked by Logan having just as many juniors , if not more, despite not having an NRL club and not having a Queensland Cup team based in it since 2002.

Cronulla will never have a stadium like Parramatta Stadium, Melbourne Rectangular Arena, Townsville Stadium or Robina Stadium. Nor should it. There's no A-League, Super Rugby or AwFuL team in Southern Sydney, so no need for a new stadium or a even a team, if we're being fair dinkum. The crazy thing is we have two teams in this small region playing out of dumps while Perth and Adelaide have none.
Nah you over did it mate.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Wow….don’t really know where to start with that deluded pile of shit. As much as it might burn you mate the Sharks have sold out all their apparel sponsorships for the next two years. We’re not looking for a new stadium…. Just an upgrade to our humble ground. I might be biased but I don’t reckon there’s a better atmosphere than at these suburban grounds and the spanking new leagues club and restaurant precinct will only add to the game day experience for the punters. That and a side that is competitive every year as opposed to a team who has finished…13th….14th…14th and 15th in the last 4 years. The funniest thing of all is that Chad Townsend is your marquee signing for ‘22. Enjoy the spoon in your whiz-bang stadium.