What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

beave

Coach

The farewell party has been postponed.

The Penrith Panthers will play at BlueBet Stadium in 2023, as the State Government confirms it has entered negotiations to acquire the Penrith Paceway and build the stadium on that site.

There is every chance the Panthers would continue to play at BlueBet through the entire construction period, with the new stadium not likely to be finished until the 2025 season.

But at this stage the State Government has moved to give the Panthers and NRL certainty about where the club is playing next season despite a deal not yet being done with the Paceway.

Should the Paceway deal be finalised, confirmation about the 2024 season would certainly follow.

“The NSW Government has commenced commercial negotiations for the acquisition of the Penrith Paceway, as part of the Penrith Stadium redevelopment,” an Infrastructure NSW spokesperson said.

“The existing Penrith Stadium will continue to be available for the Penrith Panthers’ 2023 NRL season, which provides certainty to the Penrith Panthers and its fans.

“Following a six-week community consultation program, feedback from over 3,000 people provided a clear picture of what the new stadium needs to deliver.

“The Paceway site would facilitate a state of the art stadium with an improved game day experience for fans, with modern amenities that exists within a precinct that is activated throughout the week, not just on event days.

“Timing of construction for a new stadium will be confirmed once the acquisition process is completed and the scope for the new Penrith Stadium has been determined, which is expected in late 2022.”

The State Government announced last December that a new world class stadium would be built in Penrith on the site of the current BlueBet Stadium.

The Panthers had even used ‘The Final Season’ branding when promoting games this year and commenced negotiations to move home matches to Parramatta’s CommBank Stadium from next year.

But it emerged some months ago that the Penrith Paceway site was in play, providing a best of both worlds scenario – Penrith gets a new stadium, but the current venue can remain open during construction.

The Paceway has made it clear in the past they are open to the acquisition if the deal was right. They had already commenced planning for a potential move out of the Penrith CBD in the coming years.

Penrith MP Stuart Ayres, who has been a central figure in negotiations details around the new stadium, welcomed today’s development.

“I welcome the commencement of commercial negotiations by Infrastructure NSW for the acquisition of the Penrith Paceway as part of the redevelopment of Penrith Stadium,” he said.

“The stadium redevelopment is a significant opportunity for Penrith and it’s critical we achieve the best outcome possible for our whole community.

“The practical outcome of this is that Penrith Stadium will continue to be used by the Penrith Panthers in 2023 and available to other hirers.

“The Penrith Paceway, its Harness Racing and Agricultural Show have been an important part of the Penrith community for a long time. These negotiations are as much about securing their long term future in Penrith as they are about redevelopment of the Stadium.”

Wb1234

Referee

The farewell party has been postponed.

The Penrith Panthers will play at BlueBet Stadium in 2023, as the State Government confirms it has entered negotiations to acquire the Penrith Paceway and build the stadium on that site.

There is every chance the Panthers would continue to play at BlueBet through the entire construction period, with the new stadium not likely to be finished until the 2025 season.

But at this stage the State Government has moved to give the Panthers and NRL certainty about where the club is playing next season despite a deal not yet being done with the Paceway.

Should the Paceway deal be finalised, confirmation about the 2024 season would certainly follow.

“The NSW Government has commenced commercial negotiations for the acquisition of the Penrith Paceway, as part of the Penrith Stadium redevelopment,” an Infrastructure NSW spokesperson said.

“The existing Penrith Stadium will continue to be available for the Penrith Panthers’ 2023 NRL season, which provides certainty to the Penrith Panthers and its fans.

“Following a six-week community consultation program, feedback from over 3,000 people provided a clear picture of what the new stadium needs to deliver.

“The Paceway site would facilitate a state of the art stadium with an improved game day experience for fans, with modern amenities that exists within a precinct that is activated throughout the week, not just on event days.

“Timing of construction for a new stadium will be confirmed once the acquisition process is completed and the scope for the new Penrith Stadium has been determined, which is expected in late 2022.”

The State Government announced last December that a new world class stadium would be built in Penrith on the site of the current BlueBet Stadium.

The Panthers had even used ‘The Final Season’ branding when promoting games this year and commenced negotiations to move home matches to Parramatta’s CommBank Stadium from next year.

But it emerged some months ago that the Penrith Paceway site was in play, providing a best of both worlds scenario – Penrith gets a new stadium, but the current venue can remain open during construction.

The Paceway has made it clear in the past they are open to the acquisition if the deal was right. They had already commenced planning for a potential move out of the Penrith CBD in the coming years.

Penrith MP Stuart Ayres, who has been a central figure in negotiations details around the new stadium, welcomed today’s development.

“I welcome the commencement of commercial negotiations by Infrastructure NSW for the acquisition of the Penrith Paceway as part of the redevelopment of Penrith Stadium,” he said.

“The stadium redevelopment is a significant opportunity for Penrith and it’s critical we achieve the best outcome possible for our whole community.

“The practical outcome of this is that Penrith Stadium will continue to be used by the Penrith Panthers in 2023 and available to other hirers.

“The Penrith Paceway, its Harness Racing and Agricultural Show have been an important part of the Penrith community for a long time. These negotiations are as much about securing their long term future in Penrith as they are about redevelopment of the Stadium.”
Lmao this adds almost one hundred million to the stadium cost due to the cost of acquiring the site

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think Penrith Council owns that land.
That probably explains it. Easier for State Govt to buy land and justify sending to increase its value as a State asset than spending money on land owned by someone else and having to get into a messy and ongoing cost rental for it.

When WA State govt rebuilt HBF park they had to pay the local council $25mill for a 25 year lease on it so they could run it and spend on it.

Panfas

Juniors

The Penrith District AH & I Society – which runs the Penrith Paceway and Penrith Showground – says 177 years of history is at stake after the State Government said it would compulsorily acquire the site for a new stadium if commercial negotiations to buy it failed.

Infrastructure NSW this morning confirmed that it wants to build the new stadium, announced in December last year, on the site currently owned and occupied by the Paceway and Showground.

Read our previous coverage here

That news has been welcomed by many, including the Penrith Panthers who will now continue to play at their existing home ground in 2023, and most likely during the construction of the new stadium.

But for the Paceway and Showground, there’s tears and disappointment.

CEO Tash Greentree said the Paceway had been willing to consider making way for the new stadium, but there had been talk of a ‘win-win’ scenario where the Government would assist the club to find a new site within the local area. That now appears unlikely.

“This to me signifies the end of us, it really does,” she told the Weekender.

“I’d like to have faith that something could be negotiated but I’m just not feeling confident at present.

“I have very serious concerns. I feel that perhaps the discussion of a win-win situation would have come before an acquisition, therefore if that negotiation wasn’t complete, what’s the chance of it happening now?”

Ms Greentree said she’d been contacted by people with reservations for functions and sponsors concerned about the short-term future of the club.

She also holds huge concerns for her staff.

“Understandably there were a lot of tears this morning,” she said.

“I’d like to say that we’re hopeful that a negotiation can be reached that provides us with an opportunity to have no interruption to our business and no interruption to their wages but I can’t guarantee that.

“I will keep pushing to a solution that ensures the continuity of the Showground… 177 years, I want to keep it going… we’ll keep pushing for a solution until the day we’re told otherwise.”

The Paceway had hoped residential development would eventually occur at its site, providing them financial stability and the opportunity to move elsewhere in the Penrith Local Government Area. This was separate to any announcement regarding the new Penrith Stadium.

However, there appears to be no appetite to rezone the land from recreational use.

The Paceway holds harness racing meetings on Thursday nights and the Showground hosts the Penrith Show annually, and markets every Wednesday, as well as other events and functions.

In his statement earlier today, Penrith MP Stuart Ayres indicated he was still hopeful of the Paceway finding an alternate location and the commercial negotiations proving successful.

“The Penrith Paceway, its Harness Racing and Agricultural Show have been an important part of the Penrith community for a long time. These negotiations are as much about securing their long term future in Penrith as they are about redevelopment of the Stadium,” he said.

great news for the panthers , a 2 year relocation to parramatta would have been a necessary evil , now they can play at home til their new digs are ready.

Wb1234

Referee
Y
The 800 mill is for suburban stadium rebuilds or upgrades .. not roofs on accor .... or land acquisitions

PVL has been pretty clear on this
eh and rather than Penrith now getting 400 million plus anonyher ground like Campbelltown could’ve had 100 mill thrown at it

forby

Juniors
Who says it will cost $100m? It is zoned as recreational land and a change to residential has been rejected several times before. The government can compulsorily acquire if they want to.

Y

eh and rather than Penrith now getting 400 million plus anonyher ground like Campbelltown could’ve had 100 mill thrown at it
again
the cost of the stadium build is the only $$ coming out of the 800 mill , idk what the rest of the plan is , noone seems to other then Manly getting their stadium & Penrith.

but the buying of this land doesn't change anything

Who says it will cost $100m? It is zoned as recreational land and a change to residential has been rejected several times before. The government can compulsorily acquire if they want to.
Well it will still cost something , even if they acquire it compulsorily or not.
But that spend won't be factored into the NSW Govts deal with the NRL

Wb1234

Referee
again
the cost of the stadium build is the only $$ coming out of the 800 mill , idk what the rest of the plan is , noone seems to other then Manly getting their stadium & Penrith.

but the buying of this land doesn't change anything
Yeh and the extra money spent on acquiring this site is money that could’ve gone elsewhere

Penrith is getting way more than anybody else cause of Ayres

Wb1234

Referee
for the 3rd time

what extra money ??
the site spend is... not... coming out of the 800 mill
Yes it is

show me where it’s not and I’m happy to be proven wrong

A journo was talking about this weeks ago and about the extra cost entailed

the nsw govt are buying the site

Yes it is

show me where it’s not and I’m happy to be proven wrong

A journo was talking about this weeks ago and about the extra cost entailed

the nsw govt are buying the site
ofc the govt is buying it but ...
its not part of the 800 mill deal with the NRL , that being the point . The govt tried this shit with the roof for accor , trying to say that it was part of the suburban stadium deal
PVL said pigs ass it is

same here ..

Latest posts