What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

TheRam

Coach
That's harsh... I'd prefer those latte sipp8ng toffbags the eastern Sydney Bondi rorters pack their bags for Adelaide, they offer nothing to the league, atleast sharks have huge junior competitions and participants, yes you could move them to SFS or kogarah, but the sharks are more valuable in Sydney than the rorters who just buy thier players as if they were in an expansion wasteland like Adelaide would be

Well yeah can't argue with that. But the Dragons would/should pick up the slack. After all that whole area was all theirs until the ARL at the time decided to bring in the Sharks to weaken the Dragons stranglehold on the competition at the time.

The Dogs are the other team that can also be moved too. Their base is in a no mans land that can be absorbed by the Tigers, Eels Rabbits and Dragons easily enough.

1727481269395.png

MugaB

Coach
Well yeah can't argue with that. But the Dragons would/should pick up the slack. After all that whole area was all theirs until the ARL at the time decided to bring in the Sharks to weaken the Dragons stranglehold on the competition at the time.

The Dogs are the other team that can also be moved too. Their base is in a no mans land that can be absorbed by the Tigers, Eels Rabbits and Dragons easily enough.

View attachment 94704
All true, but dragons in Wollongong morso take them out of the map anyways, and Rosters hold very little ground which can easily be absorbed by lol@souffs

All true, but dragons in Wollongong morso take them out of the map anyways, and Rosters hold very little ground which can easily be absorbed by lol@souffs
Or that territory could be given back after all, stolen goods are eventually returned. I’d give back territory to Easts and give Saints old districts to Souths when Dragons eventually move south full time

Wb1234

Immortal

View attachment 94704
bears catchment vs other clubs

@Perth Red

Finally, a question a lot would be asking is why when all the developments were happening on the eastern side of the ground, didn't the club incorporate stadium works? The developers were going to develop anyway, they wanted the land, something significant could have been done, instead a few terraces were promised (and have since been scrapped)
I was just talking to a mate who works for Leichhardt Council and was involved with the pitch to get Leichhardt Oval’s funding approved when the discussion turned to Shark Park and I brought up this post with him. He told me a story of a developer who wanted to build apartments in Marrickville. The mayor would sell them the land on the condition they rebuilt Marrickville Library but not on the developer’s terms. The council selected the architect and design and got a beautiful, expensive building with imported structural timbers, bells and whistles etc. In fact, the developers couldn’t even turn soil on the apartments until the Library was fully completed. Given the amount of money they stood to make, they complied. Really sounds like the Sharks have missed a trick here or maybe as PR pointed out, they were desperate for cash and needed money quick and weren’t in a strong position to make big demands.

Wb1234

Immortal
I was just talking to a mate who works for Leichhardt Council and was involved with the pitch to get Leichhardt Oval’s funding approved when the discussion turned to Shark Park and I brought up this post with him. He told me a story of a developer who wanted to build apartments in Marrickville. The mayor would sell them the land on the condition they rebuilt Marrickville Library but not on the developer’s terms. The council selected the architect and design and got a beautiful, expensive building with imported structural timbers, bells and whistles etc. In fact, the developers couldn’t even turn soil on the apartments until the Library was fully completed. Given the amount of money they stood to make, they complied. Really sounds like the Sharks have missed a trick here or maybe as PR pointed out, they were desperate for cash and needed money quick and weren’t in a strong position to make big demands.

There’s a thing called voluntary planning agreements

Basically means you can get way extra units if you give council stuff back like a library park or higher contributions

There’s a guy in Burwood who bought a site for 25 stories and 200 apartments and he ended up with up to 57 stories and 800 apartments

The developer with the sharks exploited them badly because of their finances

Again that site was supposed to be 200 units and he ended up with around 800

The land was worth 100 million and the sharks ended up with way under half

Had they actually done the development they would’ve stood to make over 500 million in profit

At least the chooks are doing their property developments the right way

When they do Bondi junction it’s going to be massive

Steel Saints

Juniors
well, you could do that. whats in it for venues nsw tho?

there are also significant logistical challenges. the road to the south, the shit theyve just built, the mangroves and powerlines

if anything, the club should be working with government and other stakeholders to build a new venue elsewhere (loftus as an example)

You mentioned Loftus. What about Solander Fields? It would still be relatively close to the leagues club and hotel.

TheRam

Coach
bears catchment vs other clubs

@Perth Red

The real question that should be asked is what the Hell have Manly been doing since the Bears demise to embrace and connect with the schools, and locals of that area and why didn't the ARLC/NRL demand and insist and help Manly convert that massive area over to become Manly supporters even if it meant a more northern friendly name change to help the transition? Instead they left them alone and put it in the 'to hard' basket and allowed the Swans to court and convert the locals over to the dark side.

And if you need to see and example of how pathetically weak the Governing body has been over that time look no further then allowing Manly to set up shop in the Parramatta local area and fish where the fish were easiest to catch. That should never happen ever with any clubs catchment area. Just plain ridiculous!

Massive failure both from the ARLC/NRL and Manly. I know many will say North Sydney ppl would rather die then jump over to become Manly fans, but that is just nonsense and who ever said they should be targeting rusted on NSB's fans anyway? They should have been targeting the kids in the local areas who wouldn't have the foggiest about those old rivalries and couldn't care less. They had a generation to do it ffs!

Anyway to late now. Lets see if the ARLC/NRL shows some strength and wisdom and puts in some binding pathways rules and demands of expenditure that must be made and met to continue with the franchise licence. You know measurable KPI's and if not met severe penalties and ultimately the licence revoked and given to another consortium including name and colours. You want to play with the big boys then you need to play by our rules.

Remember the ARLC/NRL holds all the Aces at this point of negotiations and I'm sure even the existing Clubs will not stand in the way of the ARLC in making sure that whoever comes into the competition must look after and develop its own players. I get that they will have all of Perth to develop also. That shouldn't mean that they neglect their ancestral and historical home base. After all when they are playing in Sydney if they put the effort in and reengage with the area they will have a ready made supporter base that no other out of town team will be able to match. So in theory their Sydney crowds should be better they any other non Sydney team.

But all of this takes wisdom, planing and single minded effort. If they do it right the Perth Bears could truly become a power house on both coasts of Australia. But I have a feeling that we will see the ARLC just hand out another licence with just the same old weak as piss criteria's that all the other franchises have too, cause that's what they do.

TheRam

Coach

Mate how desperate could they have been? No club can go broke anymore since the ARLC gives them such a handsome money grant. They were just to stupid and reckless as they have been throughout their entire history and now we can all see how bad they mismanaged their affairs once again.

Mate how desperate could they have been? No club can go broke anymore since the ARLC gives them such a handsome money grant. They were just to stupid and reckless as they have been throughout their entire history and now we can all see how bad they mismanaged their affairs once again.
I think you answered your own question

Wb1234

Immortal
Cronulla would’ve gone broke

The grant from the developer paid off bank loans of around 12 million

Their losses during the peptide scandal were around 3 million pa

Latest posts