What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future Problem - other states

joshreading

Staff member
Don't ignore this potential problem. At present we have two good WA players that are in the NRL. One just making his debut, who I think has burst onto the scene.

We have South Australians at clubs, we have Victorians coming up.

Now, at present the State of Origin is the National Selection games effectively. What is to be done with these players that are from other states and should not be forced just to play for Qld or NSW (which defeats the purpose of origin and is a kick in the face for League outside the heartlands)

Now the reality is making an Allies team is a joke and would deface Origin but something needs to be done if we wish to encourage players from other states into League and into the NRL.

I have some thoughts but what do you think should be done?

Remember there are not many now but in five years, there could easily be a full NRL team worth of emerging states players, some of whom are the best in the comp in their position.

Hazy

Juniors
Josh - you raise an interesting point. Five years might not be realistic, but I can see a time when (hopefully) the Kangaroos (and the Wallabies for that matter) have players coming from all states of Australia.

When this has become a reality - I think that the game of league will be so 'professional' that SOO as we know it will no longer be. All states of Australia (or maybe just Qld and NSW) may play against each other in some form of competition, but the players will not come from the NRL - or equivalent. The 'state' players will most likely be drawn from the relevant state competitions, as the 'NRL' players (who will play for Australia) are so contractually tied up with clubs that they arent able to play 'state' football.

Just my thoughts - and not something that will happen in my lifetime, but when the majority of Kangaroos come from WA - or some state other than the big two, then we will start to see a shift towards the demise of Origin footy - AS WE KNOW IT.

Biglance

Bench
people like Matt Peterson and Daniel Holdsworth are ones that come to my mind that could be in a WA side

Anonymous

Juniors
It's probobly-an we're talking minimum here-15-20 years away.

At such a time, the player pool will have probobly grown to the point where there are 20+ teams in the comp.

I don't know who here is familiar with American Football, but their 'Rep Game' is a little different to ours. All the teams are divided into two conferences, the American Football Conference (AFC) and the National Football Conference (NFC). All players playing for an NFC team are eligible for NFC and vice versa. (This also creates a situation where players can play for more than one rep team in a career). There is also a fan base as fans go for the rep side which represents their teams conference.

If the competition expands enough, with a diversified junior base, I could see this happening. Otherwise if it stays dominated by QLD and NSW juniors, there will never be a reason for the origin format to change.

rugged

Juniors
I've never thought that ACT people should be in State of Origin.

Maybe the other states could be considered for QLD if they want if ACT people play for NSW.

joshreading

Staff member
I think the PNG option is good but I also think that the NRL should when a team is added split effectively into two conferences - Sydeny (Messenger) and National (churchill conference). Once a year these two conferences should play one another.

You can then play that one big game in Melbourne, Perth or wherever.

rugged

Juniors
Do ACTians think of themselves as New South Welshmen?

They do separate rep football all the way through school.

Razor

Coach
Do ACTians think of themselves as New South Welshmen?

Well on an American quiz show I was watching the question was "Which state is the capital city of Australia in?" - the answer "New South Wales"

And remember the ACT isn't a state, it's a territory, same as NT(which had the opportunity to become a state several years ago but rejected it at a referendum)

joshreading

Staff member
No actually they don't do the same HSC, ACT HSC is over the two senior years and predominatly assesment based unlike NSW. However ACT people are right behind NSW in Origin.